Philly bookstores?

Old June 10th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Default Philly bookstores?

On Jun 9, 7:04*pm, "Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote:

For which she (I) thanks you.

You are very welcome--and thank YOU for keeping the lists.

Alas, most big cities provide slim pickings these days--rents go up,
sales go down, and if the stores survive at all, they survive as
Internet stores.

It's sad. I do get a lot of stuff online, but for me, nothing beats
browsing, and seeing the actual books. Second-hand shop visits are
part of my itinerary any time I plan travel. It was dismaying to see
how many changes had occurred since the Philly list was updated in
January.

Toronto is headed that way. *Of course, one of the main places we
visited (Jamie Fraser) had additional problems: the streetcars that run
down the street his shop is on shook the building so much that he came
in one day to discover that the shelves had toppled over! *(Luckily, he
was able to recover without too much damage.)

And he's appointment only now, isn't he?
Old June 10th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Evelyn C. Leeper

J wrote:
[...]

Don't know--we stopped going to the Toronto International Film Festival
a couple of years ago, so I haven't tried to drop in lately.

As you might have guessed from the fact that I maintain these lists, I
also like browsing, even though I'm buying a lot less now.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
A great many people think they are thinking when they are
Old June 11th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Jun 10, 3:11�pm, "Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote:

As you might have guessed from the fact that I maintain these lists, I
also like browsing, even though I'm buying a lot less now.

Another sad/interesting item: After I checked into my hotel Saturday
afternoon, I grabbed a copy of WHERE magazine. It had a clear rmap (on
which I could write things as I went around), and various listings of
restaurants, entertainment, and shopping. I noted that the editors no
longer felt that books warranted a category listing, nor did records/
CDs.

Miami Bookstores Anyone? Al[_2_] Books 5 August 25th 07 07:30 AM
Bookstores in Seattle Charles Kroon Books 1 June 17th 04 05:08 PM
Bookstores in Miami? William M. Klimon Books 0 April 13th 04 03:59 AM
Used Bookstores in San Diego? palmer.william Books 2 January 28th 04 02:56 AM
online used bookstores? friend2001 Books 3 January 7th 04 09:19 PM