..."we can offer you 3 Scinde Dawks"

Old June 14th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default ..."we can offer you 3 Scinde Dawks"

How teasing is this? some clod cut the postcard in half!

I am a bit of a romantic, but this is how I see it.
The Governor? of Nilgiris, Madras Presidency, India, is a stamp collector.
He is well known to the stamp dealer WHITFIELD KING & CO of Ipswich England.

The Manager of Whitfield King has written to the Governor?, offering him
3 Scinde Dawks. (3 used Scinde Dawks)

Coonoor cancel 11th Sept 1900 (1st Del)

What do you think?

Anythink you can add?

http://cjoint.com/data/goq5MHnhDu.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/goq7MSB8jN.htm

Old June 15th 09, 08:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 15, 1:04 am, "rodney" wrote:
How teasing is this? some clod cut the postcard in half!

I am a bit of a romantic, but this is how I see it.
The Governor? of Nilgiris, Madras Presidency, India, is a stamp collector.
He is well known to the stamp dealer WHITFIELD KING & CO of Ipswich England.

The Manager of Whitfield King has written to the Governor?, offering him
3 Scinde Dawks. (3 used Scinde Dawks)

Coonoor cancel 11th Sept 1900 (1st Del)

What do you think?

Anythink you can add?

http://cjoint.com/data/goq5MHnhDu.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/goq7MSB8jN.htm

The Nilgiris was a hill station in the Madras Presidency, so the
'...or' might well be part of a hotel/guest house/residence name.

By chance, a very fine used blue Scinde Dawk sold recently in New York
for $US4750 + 15% commission; a red with a couple of nicks on a piece
to which it does not belong, went for $US1400 + commission.

I wonder if the gentlemen concluded the deal for the three, and if so,
just what the quid pro quo was. (My 1904 Gibbons Part 1 lists the
white at 15/- used, the blue at 35/- and the red at 80/-.)

Tony
Old June 15th 09, 08:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 15, 5:55 pm, Asia-translation
wrote:
On Jun 15, 1:04 am, "rodney" wrote:

[...]

Just dawned on me: the '...or' must be the end of 'Coonoor'

Old June 15th 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

How could you afford that catalogue in your early teens?

"Asia-translation"

Old June 15th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 15, 3:55*am, Asia-translation
wrote:
On Jun 15, 1:04 am, "rodney" wrote:

[...]

Interestingly, I have a cousin who was born in Coonoor.
Her father was in the Canadian army and was on exchange
with the Indian army in the 50s / 60s , when she was born.
As such , she had a choice of citizenships when she grew up.
It would have been interesting over there, as she is a redhead.
About as rare in India, as a nice Scinde Dawk.

Blair

Old June 15th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I am not surprised Blair,
is sounds absolutely fabulous, and I was reading
the Maharajas of Travancore had a palace there.
I think I also read "A passage to India " was filmed there.

A part of the world, and my first destination, should I ever jag my weekly
Lotto.
The Southwest of India.

Coonoor / Canada...choice?
as I am about to fill my hot water bottle for bed, I should think there is
no choice.

I shall see for sure
"Blair"

Old June 16th 09, 10:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Not the same thing at all, but one of my exs was (and still is) a
large and belligerent Indonesian woman, with more than a passing
resemblance to a rhinoceros. She used to cause alarm & despondency by
travelling around the countryside calling herself - as she was
perfectly entitled to do - 'Mrs Mac Gillycuddy'.

Tony of the Antipathies

Old June 16th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Sometimes hardships forge a finer outcome,
I would like to see 30 years hence with our current Climate knowledge.
Without an "offer of marriage" failure due to a fiscally minded woman,
and his subsequent marriage to her after her nervous breakdown,
we may have never had a brokered peace in India,
and we may have lost at Waterloo.