Bookbinding - Lettering

Old June 30th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Bookbinding - Lettering

This weekend I found a 16mo copy of "The Vicar of Wakefield"
printed in Paris (in English!) in 1800 by the firm Didot.
The one problem is that there is no binding, just a complete
text block. So I figure that this is as good a time as any
to do some experiments in bookbinding. It is worth making
the effort for, but probably not worth sending it out to be
done.

Using addall.com, I determined that originally it was bound
in calf or leather. I have given some thought to (and done
some research on) acquiring boards and leather or calf and
making the covers. What I am completely stuck on is how to
put a title on the spine. Any help that you can give is
most welcome.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 2nd 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

I don't know anything about this myself, but I hope you'll post what
you learn, and how you decide to proceed.
Old July 2nd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

J wrote:
I don't know anything about this myself, but I hope you'll post what
you learn, and how you decide to proceed.

I will. This may take a while though. I know I can get the
underlying boards at a local art supply store, and that I
have previously bought leather at Michael's Arts and Crafts.
But I have not yet scoped out a source for calf, but a
quick search on Google shows that will not be a problem.
And I have the pH neutral glues already.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 3rd 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
J wrote:
I don't know anything about this myself, but I hope you'll post what
you learn, and how you decide to proceed.

I will. This may take a while though. I know I can get the underlying
boards at a local art supply store, and that I have previously bought
leather at Michael's Arts and Crafts. But I have not yet scoped out a
source for calf, but a quick search on Google shows that will not be a
problem. And I have the pH neutral glues already.

Francis A. Miniter

I am making progress. I have found I can get gold leaf
sheets (and imitation gold leaf sheets at $7 a package) at
Jerry's Artarama, an artist supply store here. I can also
get the boards there, choice of three thicknesses, the only
problem being that I have to buy much more than I want, but
the cost is still less than $14.

Calf leather - I am still having trouble, but working on it.
It is a lot easier to get standard leather.

As for letter sets, J. C. Whitney ("everything automotive")
has a 1/8" set. The only problem is that unlike the Tandy
set, they cannot be lined up together in advance on the
leather, but I may be able to make up a jig to achieve that.
I have also find some on eBay as small as 3/32".

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 5th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Jul 2, 3:37*pm, "Francis A. Miniter" wrote:
J wrote:
I don't know anything about this myself, but I hope you'll post what
you learn, and how you decide to proceed.

I will. *This may take a while though. *I know I can get the
underlying boards at a local art supply store, and that I
have previously bought leather at Michael's Arts and Crafts.
* But I have not yet scoped out a source for calf, but a
quick search on Google shows that will not be a problem.
And I have the pH neutral glues already.

Francis A. Miniter

Francis,

Gold finishing is not something that is easy to learn on your own.
I would recommend bookbinding classes if you can find some in your
area. Have you thought about using a hot stamping machine to do the
lettering? There are usually five or six on ebay. Kingsley hot
stamping machines are the best, with Franklin machines not far behind
them. Besides the hot stamping machine, you'll need several boxes of
type ranging from 8pt to 36pt. Some of the ebay sellers offer several
boxes of type with a machine. Paying a few hundred for a machine with
boxes of type would be a good investment. You get what you pay for,
so a bargain price might not be a good investment. I bought an old
Franklin real cheap and had nothing but problems. I paid a little bit
more for my Kingsley and it works much better. What I've done so far
is make labels and then glue the label unto the spine. I'd like to be
able to stamp the title right onto the spine, but I don't have the
confidence to do that yet.
You also mentioned acquiring leather and other supplies. I've bought
some leather from Uncle_George on ebay. As for other bookbinding
supplies, Try Hollander's or Talas.
best,
Jerry

Old July 5th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

J wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I will check out these ideas. Using labels seem
to be a lot less risky than stamping the spine itself, and
it is consistent with the era.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 5th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

J wrote:
[...]

I recommend you use leather skivers for title labels. It's already
thin enough so you don't have to pare the leather.

best,
Jerry
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/moibibliomaniac