1761-65 Signed Tristram Shandy ?

Old October 29th 03, 10:51 AM
Diane

Default 1761-65 Signed Tristram Shandy ?

I was wondering if someone could tell me why Laurence Sterne signed a number
of his 1st editions of The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.
I'm selling 8 volumes from 1761, and not all the 1st editions are signed.
Volume 5 dated 1762 is signed along with volume 7 dated 1765. Any ideas ?

Diane
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/aaaworldofbooks

Old October 29th 03, 03:54 PM
Jerry Morris

(Diane) wrote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me why Laurence Sterne signed a
number of his 1st editions of The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy,
Gentleman. I'm selling 8 volumes from 1761, and not all the 1st editions
are signed. Volume 5 dated 1762 is signed along with volume 7 dated
1765. Any ideas ?
Diane
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/aaaworldofbooks

Diane,

From Lowndes' Bibliographical Manual of English Literature,p2510:
"....9 vols.....
.........Sterne's autograph is often found in several of the volumes,
generally in volumes 5,7, and 9....."

I do have heartburn over this post as well as heartburn over your ebay
listing. It would have been better to ask for information before the
item was listed on ebay. Some readers would think that asking for
information on an item currently being auctioned on ebay is a sneaky way
of saying, "Hey everybody! Look what I have for sale!" You should know
better. In the future, please ask for informaton beforehand.

As for your listing, you do mention that you have eight volumes, and
that another volume was pubished in 1767. Granted, most people would
read between the lines and realize that you have an incomplete set up
for sale; however, I think it is ethical to state, in black and white,
that you are selling eight of nine volumes of the set. Such a statement
would avoid any misunderstandings. Just my thoughts!

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old October 29th 03, 04:18 PM
Diane

"Jerry Morris" wrote in message
(Diane) wrote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me why Laurence Sterne signed a
number of his 1st editions of The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy,
Gentleman. I'm selling 8 volumes from 1761, and not all the 1st editions
are signed. Volume 5 dated 1762 is signed along with volume 7 dated
1765. Any ideas ?
Diane
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/aaaworldofbooks

Diane,

From Lowndes' Bibliographical Manual of English Literature,p2510:
"....9 vols.....
........Sterne's autograph is often found in several of the volumes,
generally in volumes 5,7, and 9....."

Thanks for the info Jerry.

I do have heartburn over this post as well as heartburn over your ebay
listing.

I swear by Rennies Jerry

It would have been better to ask for information before the
item was listed on ebay. Some readers would think that asking for
information on an item currently being auctioned on ebay is a sneaky way
of saying, "Hey everybody! Look what I have for sale!"

If I said Hey Everybody! Look what I have for sale you might have had a
heart attack instead of just heartburn Jerry.

You should know
better. In the future, please ask for informaton beforehand.

Yes Jerry.

As for your listing, you do mention that you have eight volumes, and
that another volume was pubished in 1767. Granted, most people would
read between the lines and realize that you have an incomplete set up
for sale; however, I think it is ethical to state, in black and white,
that you are selling eight of nine volumes of the set. Such a statement
would avoid any misunderstandings. Just my thoughts!

Jerry Morris

Silly of me but I thought by mentioning volume 9, after I had listed my 8
books in order of volume number and date would have been fairly clear. Most
people that collect these books are more interested in the earliest
editions. I have a much later edition of volume 9, but would see no point in
selling it alongside 1st editions. Also most people don't count Tristram
Shandy as a set of books. They are stand alone novels that happen to have a
similar theme.
Best regards
Diane

Old October 29th 03, 08:50 PM
William M. Klimon

"Diane" wrote in message ...

I was wondering if someone could tell me why Laurence Sterne signed a number
of his 1st editions of The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.
I'm selling 8 volumes from 1761, and not all the 1st editions are signed.
Volume 5 dated 1762 is signed along with volume 7 dated 1765. Any ideas ?

I would say that the writing is undoubtedly not Laurence Sterne's. My
guess would be that a prior owner was identifying on the title page
the otherwise unidentified author.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com
Old October 29th 03, 09:38 PM
William M. Klimon

"Diane" wrote in message ...

I was wondering if someone could tell me why Laurence Sterne signed a number
of his 1st editions of The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.
I'm selling 8 volumes from 1761, and not all the 1st editions are signed.
Volume 5 dated 1762 is signed along with volume 7 dated 1765. Any ideas ?

I stand corrected. Here is an explanation for the Sterne signatures:

http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/oct2000.html

The only downside is that it leaves those volumes in that strange
position of scarcer UNsigned.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com
Old October 30th 03, 06:39 AM
Count St. Germain

I do have heartburn over this post as well as heartburn over your ebay
listing. It would have been better to ask for information before the
item was listed on ebay. Some readers would think that asking for
information on an item currently being auctioned on ebay is a sneaky way
of saying, "Hey everybody! Look what I have for sale!" You should know
better. In the future, please ask for informaton beforehand.

Here, have some Tums and a Kleenex too.
I'm glad she posted it. Never would have seen it to bid on if she hadn't.