Nice looking Italian coin

Old July 3rd 04, 11:19 PM
Dale Hallmark

Default Nice looking Italian coin

Here is a link to a really nice looking coin.
It is listed as a restrike.

Anyone know the story about this coin and the restrike? Was it a recent
restrike?
How big is this coin? Crown size?

Regardless it looks good!

Dale

Old July 4th 04, 05:02 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"Dale Hallmark" wrote:
It is listed as a restrike.

It looks like Chinese workmanship to me. The other lots offered also
set off warning bells. You can read the legends for yourself: the
coin is of Maria Louisa of Austria for her lands in Parma, etc. There
was no "Italy" except as a geographical landmass. The other coins
offered include an Uncirculated Mussolini "never before offered on
eBay." Neo-fascists have been knocking out Mussolini coins since he
was hung up to dry. They are not rare or authentic or made in 1928.
Those facts tend to condemn the other offerings. The _REAL_ Maria
Louisa may well be an interesting coin. Next time you have a chance,
look for a real one from a recognized professional dealer. Dale,
you've been around the block a few times over the years. I am
surprised that you even gave these a second look... heck a first
look...

Michael
"Fan of Bogart/Hepburn African Queen"
Old July 4th 04, 08:29 AM
Ian

Michael E. Marotta wrote:

"Dale Hallmark" wrote:

It is listed as a restrike.

It looks like Chinese workmanship to me.

It is `workmanship' (unofficial at that), but not Chinese.

These Parma fakes have been around for at least 10 years or so. They are
extremely difficult to determine from the real thing from a photo. In
the flesh, they would be difficult for someone who isn't used to the
`feel' of high grade silver coinage. It is thee `feel' of this one that
gets you looking closer at it more than anything else.

It IS one of the more dangerous counterfeits made specifically for the
collector marketplace.

I'm not sure where it was made. A few years ago they were readily
available in the flea markets of europe. I've not been looking of late.
Perhaps they still are (?)

I know of at least fifteen equally remarkable counterfeits of other
Italian / Italian Colonies crown sized silver pieces of the same
era....all from the same stable.

Ian
Old July 4th 04, 05:08 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
"Dale Hallmark" wrote:
It is listed as a restrike.

It looks like Chinese workmanship to me. The other lots offered also
set off warning bells. You can read the legends for yourself: the
coin is of Maria Louisa of Austria for her lands in Parma, etc. There
was no "Italy" except as a geographical landmass. The other coins
offered include an Uncirculated Mussolini "never before offered on
eBay." Neo-fascists have been knocking out Mussolini coins since he
was hung up to dry. They are not rare or authentic or made in 1928.
Those facts tend to condemn the other offerings. The _REAL_ Maria
Louisa may well be an interesting coin. Next time you have a chance,
look for a real one from a recognized professional dealer. Dale,
you've been around the block a few times over the years. I am
surprised that you even gave these a second look... heck a first
look...

HA! I didn't bid on it :-)
I will sometime in the future attempt to
acquire one from "a recognized professional dealer". They ain't cheap!

Dale

Old July 4th 04, 05:11 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
I am
surprised that you even gave these a second look... heck a first
look...
Michael
"Fan of Bogart/Hepburn African Queen"

I forgot to mention any eBay item with "Austria" in the text
is one that my searches will turn up. I look at ALL of them :-)

Dale

Old July 5th 04, 09:33 AM
Massimo at HOME

Ian wrote in message ...

These Parma fakes have been around for at least 10 years or so. They are
extremely difficult to determine from the real thing from a photo.

Not in such cases, there is a spectacularly big difference from a real
one:

http://incuso.altervista.org/5lire_pr.php

It IS one of the more dangerous counterfeits made specifically for the
collector marketplace.

I do not agree, I have seen a few other fakes of the 1832 scudo, and
they where damnly good! This one is easily recognizable. All the ones
I have seen have the wrong motto in the border (FERT that is the
Savoia motto not related to the Parma dukedom).

Anyway, I agree with you about the fact that newbies are easily fooled
by such things. Currently that fake is running for 52 USD!!!

I'm not sure where it was made. A few years ago they were readily
available in the flea markets of europe. I've not been looking of late.
Perhaps they still are (?)

yes, generally in east people flea markets.

Ciao,
Massimo
--
http://incuso.altervista.org
Old July 5th 04, 02:44 PM
Ian

Massimo at HOME wrote:
Ian wrote in message ...

These Parma fakes have been around for at least 10 years or so. They are
extremely difficult to determine from the real thing from a photo.

Not in such cases, there is a spectacularly big difference from a real
one:

http://incuso.altervista.org/5lire_pr.php

Very true! On the real item the edge should read `dirige me domine'. On
the image in this case it is clearly FERT. Presumably that is why the
seller is happy in showing it. He is simply mistaken in calling it a
`restrike' when it is in fact (as you and I both know) simply a fake.

It IS one of the more dangerous counterfeits made specifically for the
collector marketplace.

I do not agree, I have seen a few other fakes of the 1832 scudo, and
they where damnly good! This one is easily recognizable. All the ones
I have seen have the wrong motto in the border (FERT that is the
Savoia motto not related to the Parma dukedom).

On the internet you very rarely get a glimpse of what's on the edge in a
photograph.

Here's a fake Parma 5L dated 1815 (it has `Dirige Me Domine' on the
edge). It weighs in at 23 grams as opposed to 25 grams. I would defy
most people (even so called `experts') to tell the difference unless
they really inspect it closely AND weigh it. It is however very much a
fake.

http://imb4u2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/i...arma5Lobv2.jpg

I don't know about you, but to me it's one of the more `dangerous' fakes
I have come across (especially if it is out there in quantity).

Anyway, I agree with you about the fact that newbies are easily fooled
by such things. Currently that fake is running for 52 USD!!!

For something being sold as a `restrike', i'm guessing that someone
thinks that the seller has made a mistake :-). reverse psycholgy.

I bought that 1815 one, and a few other Italian pieces (including fakes
of the Emelio 5L) from a seller in Germany for €8 each. On querying him,
he bought them in Eastern Europe in the late 90's. The Eritrean pieces I
bought from him are frighteningly beautiful (and VERY convincing!) but
they are certainly `old news' to the marketplace.

I'm not sure where it was made. A few years ago they were readily
available in the flea markets of europe. I've not been looking of late.
Perhaps they still are (?)

yes, generally in east people flea markets.

That does not surprise me.

Ciao,
Massimo
--