Scanning Coins Question

Old July 18th 04, 03:23 AM
Chris V.

Default Scanning Coins Question

Is there any kind of trick on scanning coins? I've tried scanning a few of mine
to put on eBay, but they all come out looking like crap. My Large Cent, when
scanned, looks like a brown piece of metal. I can't see any of the details on
them on the scan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Chris
Old July 18th 04, 02:07 PM
Himself

Most scanners will not give you good results because to the way the object
is illuminate for scanning. The light source will cause points of high
reflected light that the scanner optics will try to compensate for resulting
in that crappy image you are getting. Sorry to say the only way you'll get a
digital is with a camera that has macro capability.

Old July 18th 04, 03:57 PM
bri

news:b18c0$40fa742d$d14715d4$32316@allthenewsgroup s.com...

"Chris V." wrote in message
Is there any kind of trick on scanning coins? I've tried scanning a few

of
mine
to put on eBay, but they all come out looking like crap. My Large Cent,

when
scanned, looks like a brown piece of metal. I can't see any of the

details
on
them on the scan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Chris

You could try these tips right here---
http://telesphere.com/ts/coins/scanning.html
What you'll get as an end result depends a ton on what kind of equipment you
have and what kind of software you are using. You need to be able to adjust
the sauturation and hue. Getting a scan to look like the coin is difficult.
Any little piece of dust on the coin or the scanner glass looks like bright
white speckles.
You can get really great detail with a scan but the coin will in no way
resemble what it actually looks like.

HTH

Old July 18th 04, 07:40 PM
Harold Fears

Take a look at my site http://jerseycoins.com and see if you like the
images. If so, I will proceed.

Old July 19th 04, 06:27 PM
Coin Saver

From: hobbymanchris

Is there any kind of trick on scanning coins? I've tried scanning a few of

mine to put on eBay, but they all come out looking like crap.

Me too until I realized that the scanner had been "assuming" the output format
as "Best Color Drawing" instead of "16 million colors photo". Now, after
scanning and before "saving scan", I check the image type.

Now it's ok.

8-|
- Coin Saver