Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

Old January 29th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
george pearl

Default Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

I'VE never received one in my change yet and short of buying a case of
jeffersons and searching the lot, I'm not sure that they are out
there. Does anyone have any information on this?
Old January 29th 10, 09:49 PM
eagle eagle is offline
Junior Member

Location: Kansas City,Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by george pearl View Post
I'VE never received one in my change yet and short of buying a case of
jeffersons and searching the lot, I'm not sure that they are out
there. Does anyone have any information on this?
Im have been looking for 2009 nickels & dimes all last year and no luck so far !
Old January 29th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

george pearl wrote:
I'VE never received one in my change yet and short of buying a case of
jeffersons and searching the lot, I'm not sure that they are out
there. Does anyone have any information on this?

If you find a circulation strike 2009-D nickel, you will make the front page
of Coin World. Same for the 2009-D dime. The tens of millions of them that
were minted are apparently languishing in a vault somewhere due to lack of
orders from banks. There are plenty of 2008 and 2009 nickels available, but
they are from mint sets, which have a different finish.

James

Old January 30th 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall[_3_]

A couple of weeks ago, I went through 20 rolls of nickels that I got from my
bank and didn't find a single 2009-dated nickel. There were a handful of
2008's so at least they're out there. I didn't find much else either, only
2 nickels before 1950, a 1939 and a 1949. Bummer!

I also went through 20 rolls of cents and found only 3 2009-dated Lincolns,
all "professional life" types. Those were the first 2009 dated coins that I
found except for 2 DC Terrritorial Quarters.

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

..

Old January 30th 10, 06:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jan 30, 12:15*am, "Dr. Richard L. Hall"
wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I went through 20 rolls of nickels that I got from my
bank and didn't find a single 2009-dated nickel. There were a handful of
2008's so at least they're out there. *I didn't find much else either, only
2 nickels before 1950, a 1939 and a 1949. *Bummer!

I also went through 20 rolls of cents and found only 3 2009-dated Lincolns,
all "professional life" types. *Those were the first 2009 dated coins that I
found except for 2 DC Terrritorial Quarters.

--
Richardhttp://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htmhttp://www.richlh.com
Don't lament that the rose bush has thorns. *Rejoice that the thornbush has
roses. * * * * [Ancient Egyptian Saying]

."george pearl" wrote in message

I'VE never received one in my change yet and short of buying a case of
jeffersons and searching the lot, *I'm not sure that they are out
there. *Does anyone have any information on this?- Hide quoted text -

You're doing better than I am, Doc. After helping my boss/partner
empty the coin-op washers and dryers this past week, I noticed my
second DC-P quarter. Still no PR, GU, AS, VI, or NMI. The Mint's
production figures say there are millions of them out there. I'm not
seeing them.

As for other 2009 coins, I've seen 2009 Kennedys (with thanks to Jud)
and a few sporatic cents. Trying to get rolls of anything new from
the local banks is an exercise in futility.

Jerry
Old January 30th 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Jan 30, 12:35*am, Jerry Dennis wrote:

As for other 2009 coins, I've seen 2009 Kennedys (with thanks to Jud)
and a few sporatic cents. *Trying to get rolls of anything new from
the local banks is an exercise in futility.

Jerry

Ordered 2010 Kennedys and Sacagaweas yesterday Jerry!

Old January 30th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

george pearl wrote:
I'VE never received one in my change yet and short of buying a case of
jeffersons and searching the lot, I'm not sure that they are out
there. Does anyone have any information on this?

2008 Nickels (both MMs) are common as dirt here in the Appleton, WI area, but
nary a 2009 to be seen. Ditto Dimes.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old January 31st 10, 07:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jan 30, 8:24�am, Jud wrote:
On Jan 30, 12:35�am, Jerry Dennis wrote:

As for other 2009 coins, I've seen 2009 Kennedys (with thanks to Jud)
and a few sporatic cents. �Trying to get rolls of anything new from
the local banks is an exercise in futility.

Jerry

Ordered 2010 Kennedys and Sacagaweas yesterday Jerry!

Thank you, Jud. I appreciate it.

Jerry
Old January 31st 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:

[...]

Jerry- Hide quoted text -

In the past month in Central Illinois, I've had all the 2009 quarters
in change except the Marianas' coin. I've had all four of the 2009
Linocln cents. Both the quarters and cents aren't over abundant, but
not impossible (and I cover a lot of territory during the month -
several cities between Quincy and Danville). But, NO 2009 nickels or
dimes.

On Saturday, the Mall Area here on the southwest side of Springpatch
looks like pre-recession "business as usual". Not the other days of
the week, but Saturday looks normal.

oly
Old January 31st 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

====================

In the N VA suburbs, I see the restaurants and theaters as busy as ever, but
the malls seem to be struggling based on the limited number of people in
many of the stores. How many boutique mod clothing stores can one area
handle?

I also noted that the local coin shop (Century Stamps & Coins) that had been
in place for at least 30 years closed up/down a couple weeks ago. Don't
know if it was because of the economy or not, or if it will be relocating,
but it will be missed here. I often wondered how it survived all those
years with so few customers around any time I stopped in. About like many
antique shops. How do they survive with maybe a handful of browsers each
day? Mail order? Dealer to dealer? Ebay?

Where are 2009 nickels and dimes Jim Dunigan Coins 2 October 4th 09 12:07 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (11/21/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 November 21st 08 10:18 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (9/26/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 September 27th 08 12:28 AM
Two scarce nickels Alan Williams Coins 1 September 28th 04 12:48 PM
FA: Some very scarce thaler fractions and some really cruddy buffalo nickels Josh Moran Coins 0 February 13th 04 07:06 PM