Perfin ID, New-York, 1927

Old July 9th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

Default Perfin ID, New-York, 1927

On Jul 8, 7:52*pm, "rodney" wrote:
Bravo, if you are correct
I note Cunard has also a perfin C/ssCo
although I cannot locate images.

This was quite a puzzle but I think I have identified the perfins
pattern as an inverted CSS/Co - that used by the Cunard Steam Ship
Company of New York. While I cannot state for certain, it appears that
the cover was posted very late and probably was placed in the mailbag
for the ship without being cancelled. In processing the mails, the on
board mail clerk noted the missed cancel and added a Cunard stamp
which was then cancelled in New York after the mails were offloaded.

Further info on the Cunard Steamship Company Limited. perfin.

Format :

CSS
Co Ld

Office : Liverpool

Perfin Catalogue Number : 7280.01

===========================

Another Cunard one reported is :

ssCo

Blair

Old July 9th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Jul 9, 12:00�pm, Blair wrote:
On Jul 8, 7:52�pm, "rodney" wrote:

[...]

� � C
�ssCo

Blair

However, the perfins pattern I believe I identified is a U.S. perfins.
The U.S. Perfins Catalog illustrates the pattern I described as having
the letters CSS above the letters Co - what the catalog describes as
2H - 2 rows of letters in a horizontal pattern. This pattern is
identified as being used by Cunard's New York offices. A different
pattern - CS/SA - also from the U.S., is listed as being used by their
Chicago offices.

In my Tompkins Catalogue of Identified G. B. Perfins, 7th edition,
there are 4 different Cunard patterns listed - CSS/Co - 7240.02; C/
S.S.Co - 7260.01; C/S.S.Co - 7260.01a; and CSS/CoLd - 7280.01

Belgium Perfin help Tony Vella General Discussion 19 November 29th 08 07:47 AM
Denmark perfin Tony Vella General Discussion 4 June 28th 07 01:07 PM
The After Soak and CMB Perfin seen Smith General Discussion 0 January 1st 07 10:10 PM
Perfin Edwin Chan General Discussion 5 November 14th 05 02:09 PM
Perfin or Perfin Mites? Rodney General Discussion 14 February 28th 05 02:01 PM