Which scanner?

Old December 6th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

Default Which scanner?

My HP Scanjet 5500c has given up the ghost and I am looking for a
replacement. Requirements are A4 flatbed with high optical resolution,
but the most important feature is the ability to scan small philatelic
items such as covers or even a single stamp without having to start
off with the full A4 scanned image, or, at least, to be able to lasso
the image. My Scanjet required me to resize the A4 scan by dragging
each of the four sides separately; a bit of a pain. Can anyone
recommend a scanner with this feature, please?

Old December 6th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Droger Jean-Paul

Douglas Myall a exposé le 06/12/2008 :
My HP Scanjet 5500c has given up the ghost and I am looking for a
replacement. Requirements are A4 flatbed with high optical resolution, but
the most important feature is the ability to scan small philatelic items such
as covers or even a single stamp without having to start off with the full A4
scanned image, or, at least, to be able to lasso the image. My Scanjet
required me to resize the A4 scan by dragging each of the four sides
separately; a bit of a pain. Can anyone recommend a scanner with this
feature, please?

I think that all scanner bought make what you ask for!

--
Pour m'envoyer un mail, remplacer anti par droger et manama par
wanadoo; to send me directly a mail replace anti with droger and manama

Old December 6th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Paul Herber

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:00:34 -0000, "Douglas Myall"
wrote:

My HP Scanjet 5500c has given up the ghost and I am looking for a
replacement. Requirements are A4 flatbed with high optical resolution,
but the most important feature is the ability to scan small philatelic
items such as covers or even a single stamp without having to start
off with the full A4 scanned image, or, at least, to be able to lasso
the image. My Scanjet required me to resize the A4 scan by dragging
each of the four sides separately; a bit of a pain. Can anyone
recommend a scanner with this feature, please?

My current scanner, a Canon, that I've had for a long time, 7 or 8
years, has all these features. I think the technology is mature enough
now that all scanners will be much of a muchness.
Good enough for scanning small areas for fly-specks, good colour, it
just works.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
Old December 6th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Ray[_4_]

Douglas Myall wrote:
My HP Scanjet 5500c has given up the ghost and I am looking for a
replacement. Requirements are A4 flatbed with high optical resolution,
but the most important feature is the ability to scan small philatelic
items such as covers or even a single stamp without having to start off
with the full A4 scanned image, or, at least, to be able to lasso the
image. My Scanjet required me to resize the A4 scan by dragging each of
the four sides separately; a bit of a pain. Can anyone recommend a
scanner with this feature, please?

I have a Canon 8000F which came with software (Arcsoft Photo Studio)
which automatically "lassoos" the image for me. I do, however prefer to
include a small margin around the stamp or cover when scanning, in case
I have to rotate it slightly afterwards, but the area to be scanned is
easily adjustable. It also has a descreening facility, which I think is
essential.

The 8000F is now obsolete but the Canon LiDE90 seems to be a good
option; it comes with Arcsoft Photo Studio.
__
John Ray
Old December 6th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mark Bardell[_3_]

I also use the CanoScan Lide90 and find it perfect for what I require.

Mark.

www.cobbiestamps.com

------------------------------------

Old December 7th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Hello Douglas,

Like in the other answers, I think that all the current scanners have
these features and give an excellent resolution for scanning stamps.

Even the cheapest ones.

I used in different places 3 "all in one" (scanner & printer in the same
box) from HP and before that 4 different stand alone scanners (one Agfa,
2 Epson and one not largely known brand that I forgot).

All had the same scanning quality ; the differences are mainly in the
software associated : the way of operating is different from one make to
the other.

For economy reasons and to save room on my desk, I now only use "all in
ones" as the price of a all in one is about the same than a scanner
alone.

In France now, for about 70 Euros, you can get a very good "all in one".

--

All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old December 7th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

I would recommend the Epson V200 ($190 AUD)

I scan a lot of stamps, currently in excess of 300,000.
The secret to the Epson is its SEIKO software called "Epson Scan"
If you discount all the other bundled bloatware, and create a desktop
icon direct to the Epson Scan, life will be easy.

You can bung a matrix of items on the platen, let's say 2 covers and 4
stamps,
you can lasso the 4 stamps at 600 dpi and it will make 4 passes/scans
that are saved in the folder of choice.
You then hit the "rubber" icon, it erases the lassoos so you can then
lasso the covers and scan at say 400dpi without once lifting the cover.

The lassoo/ scan will do a maximum of 50 stamps under the lid.

I then use the free "Picasa 3" to finely orientate and crop any image.
(warning here, Picasa3 saves the image before the edit as a "failsafe"
in an "duplicates" folder, which may compromise your memory,
I find if I scan 500 stamps or more in one sitting, it has once
failed to respond and I had to do a reboot.
( I only have 512 memory)

Epson (in my experience) has a life of about 150,000 images before it
failed (that was the Epson 1670 perfection with the same "Epson scan
software")

A copy of my desktop after lassooing 3 stamps as example
http://cjoint.com/data/mhdBq2DpBC.htm

Good luck with your choice.

Old December 7th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:53:26 +0900, "rodney"
wrote:

Did a little research on my HP G4010 and it does multiple scans but I
need to check if it does it in one pass and how closely cropped they
are. This is REAL IMPORTANT, because if one is doing a presentation
like I expect to with HUGE amounts of scans, they had better be nice
for public exhibit.

My old HP 5P still works, but was starting to strain a little after n
years of working.

Old December 7th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

"Douglas Myall" wrote in message
My HP Scanjet 5500c has given up the ghost and I am looking for a
replacement. Requirements are A4 flatbed with high optical
resolution, but the most important feature is the ability to scan
small philatelic items such as covers or even a single stamp without
having to start off with the full A4 scanned image, or, at least, to
be able to lasso the image. My Scanjet required me to resize the A4
scan by dragging each of the four sides separately; a bit of a pain.
Can anyone recommend a scanner with this feature, please?

My grateful thanks to all who responded.

Douglas

Old December 8th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 08:47:26 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

"Douglas Myall" found these unused words:

My HP Scanjet 5500c has given up the ghost and I am looking for a
replacement. Requirements are A4 flatbed with high optical resolution,
but the most important feature is the ability to scan small philatelic
items such as covers or even a single stamp without having to start
off with the full A4 scanned image, or, at least, to be able to lasso
the image. My Scanjet required me to resize the A4 scan by dragging
each of the four sides separately; a bit of a pain. Can anyone
recommend a scanner with this feature, please?

You must have had the earliest TWAIN driver for this. I have one and you can
corner drag the -=two=- attached sides, click inside and move the whole box.

I do agree, HP thinks you need to start from scratch -=each=- time, most
others let you set a 'remember' feature and keep settings from the previous
use.

I'm going to check on this shortly. I'm sure it states in the latest
HP Solution Center SW that you can scan multiple marquees at once.

Will return with the update.

new scanner bgg Coins 2 November 26th 05 09:52 PM
Scanner help! Brian Coins 4 September 18th 04 06:53 PM
Fun with the new scanner! Wes Chormicle Coins 0 July 11th 04 04:29 PM
New Scanner Wes Chormicle Coins 1 July 9th 04 09:26 PM
Someone needs a new scanner The Fausts Coins 0 July 2nd 03 06:45 PM