Platignum Lettering Set

Old March 12th 05, 09:33 PM
John B. Egger

Default Platignum Lettering Set

This little set was among my purchases at a local antique show. It's a
3-1/4" x 6" box with 6 steel italic nibs, a black pen with chrome ends,
clip, and band, and an instruction sheet. The pen has, stamped onto its
side, "Platignum Silver..." (could be Silverline), Made in England.

Only one of the nibs had been used, and it's cleaned up in water. But I
can't figure out how to fill the pen. It may be that there's a cartridge
stuck in the barrel, but so far it hasn't come loose. I'm reluctant to
use very much in the line of mechanical extraction procedures until I'm
sure that's what it is. I don't know of any other way one could ink this
pen.

Is anyone familiar with this set? The "instruction sheet" was a page of
italic lettering; nothing about the pen itself. On the box is stamped
"Do not use waterproof or India inks"... I wonder what I've got that I
CAN use! But first things first... Does this pen use cartridges? If so,
it's likely that there's one in there, and if that's the case what's the
best way to get it out?

--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Old March 13th 05, 11:04 AM
Stephen Hust

"John B. Egger" wrote:

[...] The pen has, stamped onto its side, "Platignum Silver..."
(could be Silverline), Made in England.

[...] But I can't figure out how to fill the pen. It may be that
there's a cartridge stuck in the barrel, but so far it hasn't
come loose. I'm reluctant to use very much in the line of
mechanical extraction procedures until I'm sure that's what it
is. I don't know of any other way one could ink this pen.

[...] On the box is stamped "Do not use waterproof or India
inks"... I wonder what I've got that I CAN use!

Any normal fountain pen ink, such as Parker Quink, Sheaffer Skrip, Pelikan 4001, Waterman.

But first things first... Does this pen use cartridges? If so,
it's likely that there's one in there, and if that's the case
what's the best way to get it out?

I'm not familiar with the pen, but if the information on the page
below is correct, it's an aerometric filler, so there should be
something like a sac covered partly with metal coming out of the
section that you can squeeze when you dip the nib in ink to fill
it. Perhaps it has gotten detached and is really stuck in the
barrel, or perhaps it has been lost.

| the Platignum "Silverline" fountain pen with lots of
| interchangable stainless steel nibs that was his first "real"
| pen. For some reason he doesn't seem to realize that having to
| remove the section from the barrel in order to squeeze fill this
| aerometric-type fountain pen is a flaw, especially to those who
| like piston fillers and lever fillers.

http://www.pentrace.com/bios13.html

There's a link to the e-mail address of the person in question is
on this page, so maybe you could write and ask him about the pen
(if it's even the same one).

http://www.pentrace.com/article110201_130.html

On the other hand, two people on the page below speak of using
Platignum and long Sheaffer cartridges (which I'm not familiar
with) in a Silverline, but they may be speaking of different
models (this page appears only to be available in Google's cache):

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:0BH9IySqbbkJ:www.ramblingsnail.net/postp1743.html+platignum+silverline&hl

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M3F4239AA

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old March 13th 05, 11:29 AM
Stephen Hust

"John B. Egger" wrote:

But I can't figure out how to fill the pen. It may be that
there's a cartridge stuck in the barrel, but so far it hasn't
come loose. I'm reluctant to use very much in the line of
mechanical extraction procedures until I'm sure that's what it
is. I don't know of any other way one could ink this pen.

[...] On the box is stamped "Do not use waterproof or India
inks"... I wonder what I've got that I CAN use!

Any normal fountain pen ink, such as Parker Quink, Sheaffer Skrip,
Pelikan 4001, Waterman.

But first things first... Does this pen use cartridges? If so,
it's likely that there's one in there, and if that's the case
what's the best way to get it out?

I'm not familiar with the pen, but if the information on the page
below is correct, it's an aerometric filler, so there should be
something coming out of the section that you can squeeze when you
dip the nib in ink to fill it. Perhaps it has gotten detached and
is really stuck in the barrel, or perhaps it has been lost.

| the Platignum "Silverline" fountain pen with lots of
| interchangable stainless steel nibs that was his first "real"
| pen. For some reason he doesn't seem to realize that having to
| remove the section from the barrel in order to squeeze fill this
| aerometric-type fountain pen is a flaw, especially to those who
| like piston fillers and lever fillers.

http://www.pentrace.com/bios13.html

There's a link to the e-mail address of the person in question is
on this page, so maybe you could write and ask him about the pen
(if it's even the same one).

http://www.pentrace.com/article110201_130.html

On the other hand, two people on the page below speak of using
Platignum and long Sheaffer cartridges (which I'm not familiar
with) in a Silverline, but they may be speaking of different
models (this page appears only to be available in Google's cache):

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:0BH9IySqbbkJ:www.ramblingsnail.net/postp1743.html+platignum+silverline&hl

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M3F4239AA

I've got what is no doubt a much more modern Platignum calligraphy
pen, all plastic except the nib. It came with cartridges and a
black rubber squeeze-type converter. This pen accepts
international cartridges.

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old March 13th 05, 01:31 PM
John B. Egger

Stephen Hust wrote:
"John B. Egger" wrote:

But I can't figure out how to fill the pen. It may be that

Thanks very much for these links, Stephen. I finally discovered another
point at which the pen barrel unscrews (not sure of the correct
terminology), and there was the aerometric-style sac just like my Parker
51's. The pen is now filled and writing, using black Quink.

This is a really cool little set! It could be plastic, but it feels
heavier and softer than my other pens and could be my first hard-rubber
pen. Anyway, I'm off to check out those links. Thanks again!

--John
Registered Linux User #291592

Restoring Lettering on Pens & Pencils HalfHyde Pens & Pencils 0 December 5th 04 12:19 AM
PLATIGNUM PENS R Pens & Pencils 3 August 12th 04 02:36 AM
Cartridges for Platignum Jeff Miars Pens & Pencils 3 December 16th 03 09:21 AM