Nawanagar~ black prince of cricketers.

Old July 10th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Nawanagar~ black prince of cricketers.

The once ruler of Nawanagar~English Test Cricketer. (inventor of the leg
glance)
Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji Jadeja, Maharaja Jam Sahib of Nawanagar (10
September 1872–2 April 1933) (known famously as K.S. Ranjitsinhji during his
golden years as a cricketer) was an Indian prince and Test cricketer who
played for the
English cricket team. He also played first-class cricket for Cambridge
University, and
county cricket for Sussex. His name was very often shortened to Ranji and he
was also
known as the "Black Prince of Cricketers".

Ranji is widely regarded as one of the greatest batsmen of all time, Neville
Cardus
describing him as "the Midsummer night's dream of cricket". Unorthodox in
technique
and with exceptionally fast reactions, he brought a new style to batting and
revolutionised the game. Previously batsmen generally pushed forward; Ranji
took
advantage of the improving pitches of the time and relied on a back and
across
defensive stroke and played elegant strokes off the back foot in attack. He
excelled in
the late cut and his popularisation or invention of the leg glance is
famous. The most
important first-class cricket tournament in India, the Ranji Trophy, was
named in his
honour and inaugurated in 1935 by the Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala.

Outside cricket, Ranji became Maharaja Jam Sahib of Nawanagar in 1907; was
Chancellor of the Indian Chamber of Princes; and represented India at the
League of
Nations. His official title was Colonel H. H. Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji,
Jam Sahib
of Nawanagar, GCSI, GBE. His nephew Duleepsinhji achieved similar fame as a
batsman playing first-class cricket in England and for the English cricket
team.

Old July 10th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

nawanagar stamp with what looks like a perfin

http://cjoint.com/data/hkeTmo6QJU.htm

Old July 10th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

A Revenue, but I can't make out much more.

Sad to say, it wasn't Ranji who issued the Nawanagar stamps: the
State PO was closed in 1895.

Patiala did though, as one of the despised Convention States.

Old July 10th 09, 10:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Asia-translation"
Patiala did though, as one of the despised Convention States.

Contempt is an opinion from 1 side.
The history of India is a jigsaw of allegiances and antagonisms,
both with their considered benefits.
Prior to the Duke of Wellington's presence, common people suffered terribly
under bands of brigands.
British discipline brought subjugation but peace and relative prosperity.

Old July 11th 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Take up the White Man's burden-
Send forth the best ye breed-
Go bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness
On fluttered folk and wild-
Your new-caught sullen peoples,
Half devil and half child.

Take up the White Man's Burden-
In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror
And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple,
An hundred time made plain,
To seek another's profit,
And work another's gain.

Take up the White Man's Burden-
Have done with childish days-
The lightly profeered laurel,
The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood
Through all the thankless years,
Cold-edged with dear-bought wisdom
The judgment of your peers!

R. Kipling

Old July 11th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

" It is a proud phase for us to use, but a true one,
that we have bestowed blessings upon millions,
and the ploughman is again in every quarter turning up the soil
which had for many seasons, never been stirred,
except by the hoofs of predatory calvalry"
Lord Hastings 1819.

You may well take Mr. Kiplings words
and offer them to the out of work Australians that have lost
their employment at Bond's or the Telcos or any of the other multitude
of businesses that have travelled to the subcontinent.
The West's current mantra, "I want it, and I want it now" is evidenced
by our unbelievable surge in credit.
This is coming home to roost now, and let us here the cries across the
nation
for a simple opportunity to "take up the white man's burden"

Old July 12th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

rodney wrote:

Prior to the Duke of Wellington's presence, common people suffered
terribly
under bands of brigands.
British discipline brought subjugation but peace and relative prosperity.

Income twenty shillings. expenses nineteen shillings
and sixpence - result happiness. Income twenty shillings.
expenses twenty shillings and sixpence - result misery.

Wilkins Micawber
(who appears on a 20c stamp from the Cayman Islands).
http://www.dickensfellowship.ca/ckdf014001.jpg

Blair

Old July 13th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Interesting to note, having been born in India,
Rudyard used the Jain swastika of good luck (I presume)
on the cover of his novels/poems.
http://cjoint.com/data/hnbA7bbO4Z.htm

Old July 13th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

In the employment of Uriah Heep.
(My favourite rock band, until I heard Grand Funk Railroad and jumped ship.)

"Blair"