A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Books
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rich Dobson - A Great Find!

Old November 3rd 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Willow Arune[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Rich Dobson - A Great Find!

In the early 1930s, a stock broker in NYC, having lost everything in the Crash, hopped a train to Wyoming and became a cowboy starting right at the bottom. Richmond Hobson, son of a Spanish American War hero and a mother with European nobility connections had had a good life up to the Crash. Private schools and more.

After a few years, he took a partner and they decided to find a ranch in northern BC, in the upper Caribou. Nothing there at the time, just a few Indians and settlers you could count on two hands. The two headed west, enjoyed a series of adventures, and then started a ranch about forty miles south of the village of Vanderhoof.

Rich started writing. GRASS BEYONG THE MOUNTAINS is a typical 1930s real life adventure, similar to Haliburton, a good friend. It became an international best seller. Rich went to Vancouver, found a society woman who was an interior designer, and married her, bringing her up by train to the small ranching community. Gloria fit right in. Ric wrote THE RANCHER TAKES A WIFE. Rich’s father died in Washington, had a state funeral, and his mother moved up to Vanderhoof! Rich’s final book, also a best seller like the first two, was NOTHING TOO GOOD FOR A COWBOY. Picture this elegant woman, Rich’s mother, in a log cabin in Vanderhoof, hosting the Indian cowboys who came to town to get drunk and blow off steam.

So, a short time ago, a museum started up on Vanderhoof. Fantastic! All of Rich’s and Gloria’s stuff, books sent to them by Haliburton and other writers of the times, all signed, personal notes and more. From Rich’s mother and father, a massive about of material from the Spanish American War, from European nobility, letters form Mark Twain, several Popes and Presidents, and so much more. The Hobson Museum opened last year and when I was visiting, people came up to the manager asking for copies of Rich’s books as they had read them when they were younger. Books! Signed copies of Perry's book on his voyage to the North Pole and so much more. Rich Sr, was buried in Arlington after serving as a Representative. His former home in Alabama is also an historic site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnoli...sboro,_Alabama)

As I am now a grad student in history and the University of Northern British Columbia, I was fascinated. Indeed, so much so that my thesis will be changing from the Louisiana Purchase and the fun that preceded to Rich Sr., the Spanish American War hero. Original autobiographic notes in two books, leather bound and not seen or read in at least fifty years.

Since visiting the museum, I have read Rich’s three books and recently found a copy of THE SINKING OF THE MERRIMAC by Rich’s father about his heroic adventures. For a time he was “the most kissable man in the United States”, a funny tale.

This is like finding a gold mine. One of my profs will be writing on Rich and I am looking forward to discovering more on the Spanish American War (any suggestions – or better yet – books that need a new home?).

Heading back to university at 65 has turned out to be a wonderful experience..

Willow
Ads