Jukebox mileage How may songs is alot?

Old November 25th 10, 08:18 PM
chris linhardt chris linhardt is offline
Junior Member

Default Jukebox mileage How may songs is alot?

I recently bought two seeburg jukes. One is the gem 1969 and has 60000 songs played one is 1971 usc2 and has 40000. Is this alot? is this a little or normall. Thanks Chris
Old November 26th 10, 04:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

--
chris linhardt

Chris, -if- those counts are the first time around for the counter,
they are on the low side of average. I have some 50's Seeburgs in
retro locations and some are easily at 750K.

I knew og an LPC hideaway at a diner in Conn. was still in service
'till the diner had a ruinous fire 8 years ago. It had some 2 million
plays and probably would still be playing today but for the fire. The
hideaway was in the basement and probably suffered water damage, the
diner was rebuilt w/o boxes.

IF you keep a Seeburg lubed, mech life is open-ended.

Rob
Old November 26th 10, 04:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Nov 26, 6:18*am, chris linhardt chris.linhardt.
wrote:
I recently bought two seeburg jukes. One is the gem 1969 and has 60000
songs played one is 1971 usc2 and has 40000. Is this alot? is this a
little or normall. Thanks Chris

--
chris linhardt

Dont know about these brands, but I have seen plenty of AMI ones from
the 80's with over 200,000 plays on them.

Taking a look at the price of play at that time and the original cost
of the machine, unless the amount of money they earned far
exceeded the purchase price then I would have to say that they were
well under-used.

Assuming all juke brands got similar amounts of plays per year in
commercial use,
I would say that this is very much on the low side considering its age
in my experience, however in the Australian market, things
seemed to be used for a lot longer than in US and UK.
Old November 26th 10, 09:24 AM
chris linhardt chris linhardt is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed View Post
wrote:
[...]

What are the chances these are original song numbers. I assume there is no way to tell? Thanks for the input I appreciate it very much. Chris
Old November 27th 10, 12:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

wrote:-
[...]

It depends on where the Meter is located. If it is in the cabinet,
then it is possible that the mechanism has been changed over in the
life of the machine (this might happen when there is a serious fault
on location, and it is swapped out to get the machine back up and
running fast) and the count might not be accurate to that actual
mechanism.

Also you could make sure that the meter does work. Play a few songs
and make sure it advances. If its "sticky" or doesn't move, then the
mech could have had a lot more use than this would indicate.

All solid state ROWE machines from about 1977 on (record and CD) had
the counter mounted on the record mech. this would give a much more
accurate idea of mechanism usage. Its unlikely someone would go to the
trouble of swapping out or manually resetting the counters I would
think ?

In my experience, (with ROWE) it usually doesn't mean much, most
mechs once cleaned, lubed and aligned correctly seem to be very
reliable.
The biggest concerns you have with many 70's era machine is solid
state modules with custom IC's - if the IC fails.

Regarding Seeburg, I would have to leave it to some of the others on
here with more experience. I have only ever worked on a couple of
them, and that was 20 years back, and were minor faults (not rejecting
at end of record due to switch adjustment and a flat battery in the
computer in another) but they seemed a pretty solidly built mech to
me.
Old November 27th 10, 02:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

wrote:-
[...]

Other than checking to see if the meters are the originals (5 digit)
were they resoldered?

Beyond that it's all forensics. Are the title strips still in the
holder? How old are the "latest" records (only good if the machine
came from a location or storage).

Are there any copyright or tax licenses in there.

What about pricing? 10 cent single/25 cent for 3 was typical till
the early 80s after that it was 25 single..

That is about all I can think of to give a clue.

Rob