Help with Rockola Empress 1497

Old November 13th 10, 04:13 PM
adamnscratch adamnscratch is offline
Junior Member

Default Help with Rockola Empress 1497

Hello, I'm new here, but I am in need of replacing the selection keys on my Rockola Empress 1497 model juke box.

I have the replacement keys, and I have the original manual, but can't figure out how to go about doing this. It looks like I need to remove the section above the keys, but I can't seem to locate all of the screws that need to be removed.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old November 13th 10, 10:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
mailman4

--
adamnscratch

I once posted a how to do, but I can't find it. This info will be
older and not as accurate, but you'll figure it out. First open the
back and front of the machine totally. Now close the dome for safety.
Leave the speaker door on the chain.Go around back of the juke unplug
the lighting for the front door bottom. Thread the cord through the
front door and go to the front. Prepare a table with a padded surface
behind you and have a friend handy to help lift stabilize. Take a few
button pics to remind yourself what order you'll want to reinstall
them in.Unplug the black multiple connection Jones plug connection and
pull the lighting cord up over the machine front. With the help hold
the jones plug and both top edges of the door and lift it off the
machine. Set it gently on your feet. Get a GOOD hold on the door and
be gentle with the jones plug(broken wires will RUIN your day). Turn
it upside down and rest it on your padded table. I'd take a few pics
at this stage, to avoid confusion with reassembly. You're concerned
with the electronic selection banks you'll remove to get the buttons
out. As you take all the screws and covers and slide switches out I'd
use a lot of double stick tape of glad bags to organize them as the
came out. Why fight original location ? You'll also remove the
florescent bulb/plate glass the door light shines through. Don't hurry
and don't put any pressure on wiring. Now it's just take apart all the
door selection parts, clean all the surfaces, lightly silicon lube the
pivot points and reassembly. I'd also lightly blow out those switches
and work some contact cleaner into them. Do the jones plug, too.
Gently blow/wipe ALL parts dry ! As you reassemble, decide if the
buttons are resting evenly and pre-bend the metal bar gently to have
them align. Once you think you're ready to reinstall the door
carefully check your pictures to make sure everything is correctly
installed. (I had the buttons wrong. You can learn from MY mistake).
Leave that florescent bulb/sheet of glass out. As I recall you can
reach through the light glass and adjust the buttons by gentle
bending. Open the dome. Put the door on. Hook up the door chain, jones
plug, and door light power. If your satisfied with the button
alignment do the glass and florescent light. REREAD this a few times
before, during, and after you do the work and feel free to improve on
my memory. Good luck.
Old November 14th 10, 04:34 PM
adamnscratch adamnscratch is offline
Junior Member

Very helpful! Thank you so much!
Old November 16th 10, 03:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
mailman4

On Nov 14, 7:34*am, adamnscratch adamnscratch.
wrote:
Very helpful! Thank you so much!

--
adamnscratch

I wondered if all I had to say was take the door off and flip it over,
but I wrote it all down last time and thought some of the cautions/
extras might help you slow down and focus. On the bottom of this page
is my baby.(I don't know why he thinks I sold it ?) If you want any
pics I have the Tempo II & a Regis. Both are similar to yours. Pat
http://www.kuijs.net/rock-ola/1960_085_1485.htm