Planning on building a Rock-Ola 1717 stepper emulator

Old December 8th 14, 02:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steven Raasch[_2_]

Default Planning on building a Rock-Ola 1717 stepper emulator

Since these things are SO hard to find.

Can anyone point me to a source for the Jones plugs and sockets that I'll need for this project?

Of course, any suggestions/ideas/etc. are welcome as well.

Thanks!
-Steve
Old January 16th 15, 05:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Monday, December 8, 2014 at 7:51:49 AM UTC-7, Steven Raasch wrote:
Since these things are SO hard to find.

Can anyone point me to a source for the Jones plugs and sockets that I'll need for this project?

Of course, any suggestions/ideas/etc. are welcome as well.

Thanks!
-Steve

Steve
I've purchased correct Jones plugs and sockets on ebay.
You have an ambitious project. I'm sure it could be done with solid state devices but it might need a lot of testing to get the timing issues right. The interaction between the wallbox which sends a series of pulses, the receiver (stepper) which transcribes the pulses into a selection, and the jukebox which appears to do a number base conversion, are pretty impressive. I purchased a model 1725-8 stepper with the idea of modifying it to work as a 1717. I discovered it to be more difficult than I anticipated so when I found a 1719 available, I modified it to a 1717 configuration. At one point I thought would write out a detailed description of how it all works but haven't yet. Have you decided how you want to proceed?
Bob
Old January 18th 15, 03:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steven Raasch[_2_]

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 12:56:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Bob -
I haven't decided just what I'm going to do yet. I wasn't aware that the 1719 stepper could be converted. I may look into that.

Yes, the timing issues could be challenging, but my plan is to use a microcontroller (think audrino or smaller), which would give me all the flexibility I need to do the task.

Interestingly, If I do use an audrino, It may not be very hard to make it into an internet-connected device (for what that's worth)

-Steve