Handwriting Improvement

Old February 10th 04, 04:25 PM
Dimpled Chad

Default Handwriting Improvement

Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught handwriting improvement courses?
Books or webpages, something like that.

Thanks in advance.
Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

Illegitimi non carborundum

Old February 10th 04, 04:57 PM
Michael

My handwriting was so bad I went to architecture's lettering. It's
not classic, but it's now very readable.

M.

.. .

Old February 10th 04, 05:04 PM
Alan Shutko

Dimpled Chad writes:

Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught handwriting improvement
courses? Books or webpages, something like that.

I'm working through Write Now: A Complete Self Teaching Program for
Better Handwriting. It's targeted at adults, and teaches an italic
style. Starts with printing, then leads into cursive, then a bit of
calligraphy. When I've actually sat down and practiced, I've seen
improvements, but I haven't gotten very far... my handwriting has
been so bad for so long, I basically have to start from scratch.

Should be available for order from most bookstores, though I never
actually saw it in one before I ordered it from Amazon[1]. Also,
there's some more info at the publisher's site.[2]

Footnotes:
[1] Here's my affiliate link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...anatspringi-20

[2] http://www.cep.pdx.edu/titles/write_now/

--
Alan Shutko - I am the rocks.
If a program is useless, it will have to be documented.
Old February 10th 04, 08:29 PM
PalmUser

I hadn't written cursive in twenty years or more, but have redefined my
cursive and now enjoy writing again. I used Getty and Dubay's Italic
series--volume G is designed for adult students who are self-teaching. I
picked it up used at Amazon for less than $5.
PU

Old February 10th 04, 08:32 PM
Mark Atwood

Dimpled Chad writes:
Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught handwriting improvement
courses? Books or webpages, something like that.

You want the book "Write Now".

http://www.cep.pdx.edu/titles/write_now/index.html

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Buy a copy for yourself. Show up
at your PTA and school board and wave it around and save all the kids
in your school district from the abomination that is copperplate
cursive.

(Did you know that most elementary school teachers have not actually
be trained in how to teach handwriting? They are just echoing their
own poorly remembered handwriting lessons from when *they* were in
the third grade, and thus handwriting in schools is decaying like
a copy of a copy of a copy of a bad videotape...)

--
Mark Atwood | When you do things right,
http://www.pobox.com/~mra
Old February 10th 04, 09:08 PM
Dan Gillette

"Dimpled Chad" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught handwriting improvement

courses?

While many here may suggest WriteNow, which does look like a very good book,
it may not work for you. I found WriteNow impossible for me, a severely
dysgraphic, left-handed underwriter (to write properly, my italic must lean
back, which means I can't use the templates in WriteNow). My handwriting was
so dysfunctional that in my adult life I simply stopped handwriting
completely (even for grocery lists). Of course, even with the improvements
in mobile technology, I still felt the need to write, especially to keep a
design journal and do field research in education. So, in my early 30's, I
decided to teach myself to write. Two things made the difference for me:
"Teach Yourself Better Handwriting," by Sassoon and Briem (got it on
Amazon); and fountain pens. My handwriting is now quite legible and I enjoy
writing by hand, even looking for opportunities in my day to write with a
pen. I can't recommend the Sassoon book more -- it is the only book I ever
found that reasonably addressed the problems with my handwriting and
provided useful solutions.

- Dan

Old February 11th 04, 01:59 AM
Dimpled Chad

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:25:41 GMT, Dimpled Chad opined:

Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught handwriting improvement
courses? Books or webpages, something like that.

Thank you, all, for your helpful responses. I am a right-handed fountain-pen
user, who writes 'ok' for now but would like to improve. The
suggestions/pointers seem to all be sound, and I'm sure one will do the
trick.

I appreciate it.
Chad

Old February 11th 04, 02:02 AM
Dimpled Chad

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:57:22 GMT, Michael opined:

architecture's lettering

Michael: I'm not familiar with this. I assume its a particular type of
script. Can you forward me to an example?
Thanks,
Chad

Old February 11th 04, 02:14 PM
Jolyon Wright

Dimpled Chad wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for self-taught handwriting improvement
courses? Books or webpages, something like that.

Thanks in advance.
Chad

revel in your p*iss poor handwriting! loop splodge and swirl about - i just
love the element of doubt in handwriting; "well it *might* say X, but then
again..."

seriously though; if you find a pen/ nib you are really happy with you'll
probably find your writing evolves in a way that you are happy with.

jolyon