Why would a dealer offer an "unknown" signature?

Old May 28th 04, 04:35 AM
Bcoton

Default Why would a dealer offer an "unknown" signature?

I find this one really perplexing:

Why on earth would a dealer offer an 'unknown' signature? Don't they pride
themselves on their knowledge? I could understand a general collector but I've
seen some that are so OBVIOUS on who it was that you just go, was it laziness?
Or do they just not look carefully at the inventory?

Yes, certain sigs may be hard to decipher. BUT even if they are on a photograph
or an album page that does not mean that they are famous, which is usually
implied (unknown star being a favorite of good old Todd M). I used to think it
was fun to try and guess but now I find it slightly disturbing- what are the
odds on finding a great deal when the so-called 'expert' can't even figure it
out? Is it that they aren't taking the time?

The worst is when the signature is clear but they still don't bother trying to
find out who it was. On ebay right now Todd Mueller is offering a Helen Hayes
autograph as an unknown. Helen Hayes! With a clear picture of her and a clear
signature below it. I once emailed a seller to clear up the information and
never even got a response- worst they never even posted who it was after I told
them!

I just find it off. What do others think?
Old May 28th 04, 07:21 AM
Barefootmk

i've never seen this....can you offer a link?
Old May 28th 04, 07:25 AM
Barefootmk

actually...i found it...seems todd mueller doesn't know what he's doing...i can
see why some of them are "unknowns" because the signature on that cate
blanchett isn't hers...i guess that qualifies as an "unknown signature"
Old May 28th 04, 11:57 AM
Bjwebb3749

I guess they offer an unknown signature because they don't know who it is and
hope someone else will know and want it. Most likely they didn't change it
after you told them because that would pretty much entail changing the whole
listing which they didn't care to do at the time. I agree that it's poor
practice, but there's not much to be done about it.
BJ
http://bjwebb3749.tripod.com/bjscelebritysigns/

Old May 28th 04, 03:44 PM
dahoov2

I've email Tswee several times on signatures marked as unknown.... I
clarified them (and for example, he had a couple Ewoks and a Julian
Glover that were legit marked as "unknown"). He didn't sell them and I
emailed and told him if he corrected the name of the auction and put
Star Wars in there, they'd sell. He didn't listen and tried to sell a
cople of them about three or four times now.... hilarious.

I've had a couple mystery ones where people thought I was dense... I
can see how someone wouldn't know what Helen Hayes looks like. I'd not
put the face with the name probably. Not everyone is of the same age
level or the same level as for what they like to see/watch/listen to.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old May 28th 04, 04:07 PM
Gummby3

Not for the person that ends up purchasing. it. lol

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net
Autograph Authentication Guide
www.star-collector.net/authenticationguide.htm

"dahoov2" wrote in message
It'd be a shame say to have an unknown RARE signature worth hundreds
and sell if for a buck!

---

Old May 28th 04, 09:23 PM
Bcoton

Here are some other links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7661825 &rd=1

Todd Mueller- Helen Hayes

In fact you can do a search for "unknown signed" and get all of Todd's
greatest hits.

I still can't understand why a DEALER would do this. I mean shouldn't they know
what they are selling? Take a look at some of his unknown signed sketches--
sometimes ordinary friends signed in old autograph albums. Which doesn't mean
its worth anything!
Old May 28th 04, 09:53 PM
CalRima

is the unknown.......HELEN HAYES?