Colin Powell - real of fake signature?

Old October 26th 03, 11:39 PM
my-wings

Default Colin Powell - real of fake signature?

I picked up a Random House First Edition of the book *My American Journey*
by Colin Powell on one of my rummage sale sprees, and it has what looks like
a signature on the half-title page. I say "looks like" because the signature
seems to be done in felt tip, but the stock is coated, and it's possible
that the signature was printed. It just says: C.L.Powell (although he
doesn't seem to have felt the need to use all the letters in his name!). A
few other signed copies found through an AddALL search show that he has
signed his name in a variety of forms, so this could be correct.

Does anyone else have a Random House first trade edition (not one of the
special limited signed editions) and could tell me if the signature is real
of just printed?

Thanks.

Alice

Old October 27th 03, 02:54 AM
my-wings

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:39:26 GMT, "my-wings"
wrote:

He may have signed with his initials which are "C.L." so C.L.
Powell would be correct. Have you looked at how the ink has flowed
into the paper fiber with a good 10x or 20x maginifier? That's a
good way to tell if it was printed or signed with a felt tip marker.

Unfortunately, the title page is on coated stock. I know that's unusual, but
the book opens with several plates of photographs, and the title page is the
same slick paper. No ink of any kind is flowing into the fibers. The
signature looks very real to me, but I would be happier if it had bled more
unevenly through to the other side.

That said....after typing the above, I decided to check the latest and
greatest internet resource....eBay. There is a signed copy offered
there...and the signature is different enough that I can tell it's not part
of the regular printing. Yeay!

Alice

Old October 27th 03, 05:47 PM
Kris Baker

wrote:

[...]

I can usually tell a printed from a signed siguature,
by holding the book to the light, at an angle.

If the signature is printed, it will look *exactly* the
same as the printing ont he page; a signature
will have a different shine to it.

Kris

Old October 27th 03, 06:40 PM
Jerry Morris

(my-wings) wrote:
I picked up a Random House First Edition of the book *My American
Journey* by Colin Powell on one of my rummage sale sprees, and it has
what looks like a signature on the half-title page. I say "looks like"
because the signature seems to be done in felt tip, but the stock is
coated, and it's possible that the signature was printed. It just says:
C.L.Powell (although he doesn't seem to have felt the need to use all
the letters in his name!). A few other signed copies found through an
AddALL search show that he has signed his name in a variety of forms, so
this could be correct.
Does anyone else have a Random House first trade edition (not one of the
special limited signed editions) and could tell me if the signature is
real of just printed?
Thanks.
Alice

Alice,

I worked at Waldenbooks in Florida when this book was published.
Although he didn't visit our store, I remember hearing about the long
lines at the other stores in the chain, where he came to sign his book.
He didn't leave until every book was signed.

I would imagine that after signing books for a few hours, one could
begin to skip a letter or two in the process!

Btw, here's a link to a signed book on abeboooks:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...=2&bi=56697526

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old October 28th 03, 03:01 AM
my-wings

"Jerry Morris" wrote in message
(my-wings) wrote:

Alice,

I worked at Waldenbooks in Florida when this book was published.
Although he didn't visit our store, I remember hearing about the long
lines at the other stores in the chain, where he came to sign his book.
He didn't leave until every book was signed.

I would imagine that after signing books for a few hours, one could
begin to skip a letter or two in the process!

Btw, here's a link to a signed book on abeboooks:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...=2&bi=56697526

Thanks for the link. I normally use AddALL to look up books and I didn't
know that ABE allowed pictures. I'm going to be using it a lot more in the
future in that case. My signature looks much like the one you found, in the
same place on the book, but it's not identical. (A good thing.) In addition
to however many trade editions he signed, I found mention of a Random House
2000-copy signed, limited edition and an Easton Press 3500-copy signed
limited edition. I wonder if he developed carpel tunnel after all those
signatures?

Alice

Old October 28th 03, 03:06 AM
my-wings

"Kris Baker" wrote in message
. com...

I can usually tell a printed from a signed siguature,
by holding the book to the light, at an angle.

If the signature is printed, it will look *exactly* the
same as the printing ont he page; a signature
will have a different shine to it.

You would think so, wouldn't you? I did try the light/angle thing, and I had
a small Eureka! moment, but I hesitated because the black in the signature
cut a broader swath than the black in the letters on the same page, and I
couldn't be sure that the signature sheen wasn't just the effect of more ink
on the page. Fortunately, looking at photos of other signatures on the same
book has solved the question. One of the few times when I think I might have
something and I'm not disappointed!

Alice

Old October 28th 03, 01:55 PM
Steven Rowe

of course this might be one of those books where an unsigned copy is rarer than
a signed one

;-)

steven rowe
Don't forget to Delete "Unspam" if you wish to e- mail me.

join the FelixTheCat list at www.yahoogroups.com