Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Posting to rec.collecting.sport.* Hierarchy (including rec.collecting.cards.non-sports!)

Old January 14th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.cards.non-sports

Default Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Posting to rec.collecting.sport.* Hierarchy (including rec.collecting.cards.non-sports!)

At last I've found the FAQ for this newsgroup - it can be viewed he
http://www.collector-link.com/cards/posting.shtml

As it hasn't been posted for a while, I've taken the liberty of posting it
now!
Please note: I'm not the person who wrote it originally!
Au Res.,
Paul
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Posting to rec.collecting.sport.*
Hierarchy

Please send questions, corrections, additions etc. to : Terry Stewart .
This FAQ is for outlines the rules for posting to the groups rec.collecting.
sport.* (baseball, football, basketball, hockey, misc), rec.collecting.
cards.discuss, and rec.collecting.cards.non-sports. Specifically,
rec.collecting.sport.baseball
rec.collecting.sport.football
rec.collecting.sport.basketball
rec.collecting.sport.hockey
rec.collecting.sport.misc
rec.collecting.cards.non-sports
rec.collecting.cards.discuss
A quick summary of the rules is as follows:
No more than 3 posts per day per newsgroup may be made in any of the
marketplace groups. If you can help out fellow collectors in the discuss
group, by offering NON buying/selling/trading information, you may post as
many times as you want. Posting more than three times in a day is allowed
ONLY in the discussion group.
There is to be no marketplace activity in the discuss group. This group is
solely for the discussion of cards (sport and non-sport), questions on
cards, etc. However, questions like "I have an OJ Simpson card I'm looking
to sell - what's it worth?" or variants on that theme are *not* allowed.
Take marketplace material to the other groups.
There is to be no crossposting of messages between groups. If you have some
baseball cards and football cards, they are to be two distinct messages. The
baseball group will contain a message with ONLY baseball cards in it, the
football group will contain a message with ONLY football cards.
Auctions, in any group, are to be limited to one post per day.
More indepth answers:
What do I do if I see someone violating the rules of the group?
Send that person a note, saying "You're violating the rules of this group"
and enclose the pertinent part (ie., if they post 3 times). I've included
examples of it at the end.

Usually, the person will apologize and not make the same mistake again.
Multiple violations can lead to suspension of the account by that person's
system administrator; violations to Usenet news rules are not looked upon
kindly by most administrators.

This idiot was swearing, posted the same message 7 times with no coherent
subject header, and acting like a moron. What do I do?
Send the accompanying article to operator@ (his site) and postmaster@ (his
site) immediately.

Why is there a limit of three posts per day per newsgroup?
Lots of people read the Usenet groups. When one or two individuals start
posting tons of ads, *everyone's* messages get lost in the shuffle. There
are a number of people who don't read the newsgroup on a daily basis. Posts
may get missed because of the sheer volume of posts, in a particular
newsgroup.

So, what's the solution? Don't post more than a couple messages a day.
COMBINE posts - users don't need to see a post for "1991 Ken Griffey Rare
card" and "1992 Ken Griffey Super Rare card" in two separate posts. Remember
that with less postings, *your* message is more likely to be read - and a
trade, buy or sell is consequently more likely to occur. And observe the
etiquette of the users of the group.

I've got some baseball and hockey cards. What do I do? I want to sell them
all at once and don't have time to break them up.
In order: Break them up, and tough. The rules are there to prevent the
fly-by-nighters from ruining things for all of us. Additionally, many of the
baseball card collectors don't collect hockey, and vice-versa. It's not fair
to *their* time to put extra things in there. Remember: the group isn't
designed to suit one individual's needs, but the majority's wishes.

The one exception to this rule is if there is a card, which features
athletes from multiple sports. However, a Bo Jackson card from a football
set can NOT be posted in the baseball group, or vice-versa.

Why can I only post my auction once a day? My cards are the best and I want
to get top dollar for them.
See the three times a day message above, and you'll understand. A private
auction, with each "bidder" being sent an e-mail message via a mailing list,
is the best way to run these. Barring that option, seeing an auction updated
more than once a day can get on people's nerves.