Diane Hager, please explain this

Old June 30th 03, 10:21 PM
Fred A. Murphy

Default Diane Hager, please explain this

On 29-Jun-2003, Eric Tillery wrote:

You seem to be missing the point here. Diane Hager stood up before the ANA
board of governors and declared "registry sets are ridiculous". Now they
are using the NGC registry to hype a coin in one of their auctions.
Doesn't
this strike you as just a wee bit hypocritical?

I think coin slobbing is one of the biggest scams ever foisted in the coin
collecting fraternity, milking it of hundreds of millions of dollars that
could have been spent on coins and instead went to grading companies. For
probably 90% of the slobbed coins, collectors gain nothing but a false sense
of security.

I also sell the occasional slobbed coin.

I feel this is an admission that I recognize the way the market works, not
that I'm being hypocritical. If I can pay $20 to turn a coin I would be
ashamed to ask a collector $50 for into something I can blow off to a dealer
for $150, I'm only playing the game.

I think the stock market is still vastly overrated, but if I thought I could
make a $10,000 investment in it with a reasonable expectation of doubling my
money in a week, I'd be there.

--

"The starting pay for a pilot at American Eagle is $16,800 a year. Never
let someone fly you up in the air who's making less than the kid at Taco
Old June 30th 03, 10:33 PM
Fred A. Murphy

On 30-Jun-2003, Bruce Remick wrote:

As you say, updated, more descriptive standards would be required
and ANA should be the obvious champion of this effort.

They were at one time, including being *the* authentication service.

Then they had the usual ANA brainstorm, sold out the service, settled for a
% deal instead of promoting ANACS and making *all* the money for themselves,
and missed the ultimate opportunity to do all the things they claim they're
trying to do with the New Logo. This would include educating collectors,
name recognition and promoting the hobby, among other things.

They also created a conflict of interest by putting themselves in the
position of being a "final arbitrator" of grading, while at the same time
accepting money from someone who could easily be a litigant.

Old June 30th 03, 10:39 PM
J. A. McNerney

Eric Tillery wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:11:50 -0400, "J. A. McNerney" wrote:

Registry sets are ridiculous. It's a marketing scheme, nothing more, and a pretty good one.

Fine, if that is your opinion. But just don't let me find *you* using the registry to hype a coin
you are selling next week.
--
Morgan Dollars for Sale:

http://www.k6az.com/inventory/morgan_sales.htm

A Close look at Accugrade:

http://www.k6az.com/acg.htm

My Morgan Collection:

http://www.k6az.com/collection/morgan_collection.htm

It's just my opinion. But if someone wants to pay me big money for a common coin that fits into their registry set I'm going to take it.

JAM
Old June 30th 03, 10:42 PM
J. A. McNerney

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:35:21 -0400, "J. A. McNerney" is alleged
to have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
What documentation do you have that the ANA is taking money from NGC?

JAM

Unh, the contract. NGC is declared the "Offical Grading Service" of the ANA and
in return for this and other valuable considerations, NGC writes the ANA a large
check. All offical, approved by the board, and publically disclosed.

Some of us have a problem with it, in that it makes it difficult for the ANA to
go after bottom feeding grading services like ACG with the appearence of a
conflict of interest.

Bruce

ANA 162074

NGC is the Official Grading Service but what documentation do you have that the ANA is taking money from NGC?

JAM

If by "taking money" you mean something underhanded or illegal, then the ANA
most certainly is not taking NGC money. If you mean "does NGC regularly pay ANA
money for the use of their name", the answer is yes. And while some of us find
the ethics and wisdom involved in the contract questionable, it is perfectly
legal and aboveboard.

The actual details are in the ANA financial report, which should be available
off of the website.

Bruce (Am i understanding the question?)

That's all I'm asking. Where can we find that documentation. I can't seem to find it on the ANA site.

JAM
Old June 30th 03, 10:51 PM
Fred A. Murphy

On 30-Jun-2003, "J. A. McNerney" wrote:

What documentation do you have that the ANA is taking money from NGC?

http://www.money.org/press/20020131-ngc.html

The American Numismatic Association (ANA) and Numismatic Guaranty
Corporation of America (NGC) have signed a new agreement that both
extends NGC's term as the Official Grading Service of the ANA and guarantees
the ANA greater revenue from coins submitted to the grading service.

What more documentation should you need?

Seems to me that the value of the contract should be a matter of record, but
I doubt it.

Old June 30th 03, 11:29 PM
Stujoe

In article , J. A. McNerney spoke
thusly...

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
[...]

I don't know if there is also an annual payment but I am sure that
the board members who read here do.

--
Stu Miller
Read about Coins in the News:
Old July 1st 03, 01:08 AM
Eric Tillery

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:21:25 GMT, "Fred A. Murphy" wrote:

[...]

Fred, I've been round and round with you before about the grading services, so
I am not going there again.

The bottom line here is if she thinks registry sets are ridiculous, why does she use
them to hype their coins? Just another example of them saying one thing and doing
another.
--
Morgan Dollars for Sale:

http://www.k6az.com/inventory/morgan_sales.htm

A Close look at Accugrade:

http://www.k6az.com/acg.htm

My Morgan Collections:

http://www.k6az.com/collection/morgan_collection.htm

http://www.k6az.com/toned_collection/toned_morgans.htm
Old July 1st 03, 04:28 AM
Fred A. Murphy

On 30-Jun-2003, Eric Tillery wrote:

The bottom line here is if she thinks registry sets are ridiculous, why
does she use them to hype their coins? Just another example of them saying
one thing
and doing another.

I just explained "why". She's taking advantage of people who have fallen
for the hype. That's her job as a businessperson.

The lady running the bookstore two doors down the street thinks the Atkin's
diet is stupid and unhealthy.

How many copies of the book would you like to buy?

Old July 1st 03, 04:29 AM
Jorg Lueke

Jorg, I don't like the ANA taking money from NGC any more than anyone

else.
But again, I don't think that was the point of this thread. They delcared

registry
sets as ridiculous, then turned right around and used them when it was to

their
advantage.
--
Morgan Dollars for Sale:

The thread I chose was just happenstance. It was just this one that
triggered my feelings about some of the other abuses that are out there. I
do hope your personal struggles go well and that any recent illegal activity
against yourself will be dealt with justly.

Diane Scarwid LuckyToper Autographs 0 February 5th 05 12:34 AM
Rayne Dawn Rayne Kayne Simone Lash dvd mpg avi jpg bio movies Diane Rachel alilivideo Autographs 0 August 23rd 04 05:50 PM
Diane Delano of "POPULAR" TV6D Autographs 0 July 4th 04 06:42 AM