Roman coin wanted - serious collectors please

Old August 24th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr Ewan Jackson

Default Roman coin wanted - serious collectors please

Dr. Roman Coinclecter wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:51:39 GMT, Dr. Roman Coinclecter

wrote:

"Bob Hairgrove" wrote in message
On 23 Aug 2006 05:46:38 -0700, "Dr Ewan Jackson"
wrote:

In any events, most of the eBay dealers who aren't charlatans do not
sell coins worth collecting.

What is your definition of a "serious collector"? I must have missed
that somewhere down the line.

You can only be a serious coin collector if you are a doctor.
;-)

Doctorate, apparently, not "heal people" doctor.

I recommend amputation of the diseased accumulation. Those suffering from
accumulationitis can always get an accumulationectomy.
I have a bad case of Jeffersonitis with that dreadful steporeah that comes
with this terrible infection. You don't even want to see the rash!
I really feel bad for those who have Silverhoarders Syndrome--thank God for
the Silverhoarders Research Institute and that wonderful recovery program
created by Dr. Dansco.
;-)

Troll.

Old August 24th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dr Ewan Jackson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 23 Aug 2006 05:46:38 -0700, Dr Ewan Jackson
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

My. What a _remarkable coincidence_ that these two just happened to
just show up here.
Hey "doc".

Libelous.

How so, doc?

You were implying I am not really a Ph.D. in a public forum. How is
that not libelous?

I don't suppose you can provide an actual cite for that
claim. Because your number seems a bit, shall we say, suspect.

The point of my post, which you evidently read (but did not grasp) is
that MANY dealers on eBay are fakers of antiquities.

No, doc, you said "50%". You made a specific, numeric claim.

And no reasonable person would have taken my claim to mean that I have
meticulously carried out a survey of eFake dealers and arrived at that
precise percentage. Only a moron would have taken my statement
literally.

I note you haven't disputed my point, or even engaged my argument,
preferring to attack me based on semantics instead.

If that is your game you should know that 50% is not a numeric but a
percentile.

Sorry, Dr. Jackson, percentiles are not expressed with the % symbol, but
rather with an ordinal suffix, such as 90th.

Mr. Jaggers

Old August 24th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On 24 Aug 2006 04:39:09 -0700, Dr Ewan Jackson wrote:

Dr. Roman Coinclecter wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Doctorate, apparently, not "heal people" doctor.

I recommend amputation of the diseased accumulation. Those suffering from
accumulationitis can always get an accumulationectomy.

Troll.

Ah, good, you've finally become self-aware. I like your new sig, it's
fitting.

Old August 24th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote:

My. What a _remarkable coincidence_ that these two just happened to
just show up here.
Hey "doc".

Libelous.

How so, doc?

You were implying I am not really a Ph.D. in a public forum. How is
that not libelous?

Funny, I thought I was using a nickname. Like calling you sparky.

The point of my post, which you evidently read (but did not grasp) is
that MANY dealers on eBay are fakers of antiquities.

No, doc, you said "50%". You made a specific, numeric claim.

And no reasonable person would have taken my claim to mean that I have
meticulously carried out a survey of eFake dealers and arrived at that
precise percentage. Only a moron would have taken my statement
literally.

Actually, only a moron would have made such a statement in the first
place.

I note you haven't disputed my point, or even engaged my argument,
preferring to attack me based on semantics instead.

Then you haven't paid attention.

Word games and bull**** from the revisionism troll. Yawn.

Old August 24th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

"Dr Ewan Jackson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Welsh wrote:

Bonosus?

I have a billon antoninianus, with emperor holding spear on reverse.

WOW!

Has it been authenticated?

All the purported specimens I have seen images of appeared very questionable
to me.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old August 24th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

Dr Ewan Jackson wrote:
wankage

/sarcasm on/

But what about the CHILDREN that might be reading...

\sarcasm off\

PS: Shut the hell up you k00ky freakjob.

Old August 24th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

Dave Welsh wrote:

Bonosus?

I have a billon antoninianus, with emperor holding spear on reverse.

heh....eh....haaaatchooooooooo sniffle

Sorry, I'm allergic to bull****.

WOW!

Has it been authenticated?

It's as authentic as his doctorate degree. If you don't believe him,
just ask him, because as you know everything that is typed on Usenet is
the truth.

Old August 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On 23 Aug 2006 05:18:41 -0700, "Dr Ewan Jackson"
wrote:

50% of the dealers on eBay should be in jail.

That may be true with antiquities, where the level of scams is higher
than with ancient coins, perhaps the highest level of any eBay
category, since antiquities are so easy to forge. But it's a gross
exaggeration to say that 50 percent of the ancient coin dealers on
eBay are crooks. And it's an even grosser exaggeration to say this
about coins in general, with a huge majority eBay sellers of U.S. and
world coin being perfectly legit.

It's fine to say you don't like eBay. I'd say it's no so fine to make
up statistics about it. This in no way downplays the forgery and scam
problems eBay has. But you can react to this intelligently, or you can
make up statistics.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old August 25th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Dave Welsh wrote:

Bonosus?

I have a billon antoninianus, with emperor holding spear on reverse.

WOW!

Has it been authenticated?

All the purported specimens I have seen images of appeared very questionable
to me.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

who would authenticate such a thing? all coins reportedly belonging to
either bonosus or proculus have turned out to be barabarous tetrici....
let's hope he didn't pay more than $1.50 for his specimen.

ras

Old January 28th 15, 01:49 PM
elephant28 elephant28 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ewan Jackson View Post
Dear fellow collectors

I am on the verge of completing a collection of all the ancient Roman
coins of each and every emperors. I am down to my last 2 emperors.
Has anybody EVER seen a coin of the emperors Glycerius and Olybrius?
The alleged Glycerius on wildwinds.com is a gross misattribution of a
commonplace Honorius, and I have never seen either a Glycerius or an
Olybrius for sale - not in any of the major auction houses, let alone
on e-fake i mean eBay.
If anybody has any information about where or how I might obtain these,
I would be greatly appreciative.

Ewan
still looking for a coin of Emperor Glycerius