Private bidder auctions

Old May 27th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Private bidder auctions

Lately, I've been running into more and more eBay auctions where the bidder ID's
have been private. I bid in one auction (and won) before realizing that all the
other bids-- eight or ten of them-- were private. Mine stood out as the only
one showing my eBay ID. Who decides if the bidder ID's will be private? The
seller? The bidders? Why wasn't my bidder ID hidden along with the rest? I
paid about retail for the coin I won, but can't help but wonder just how many
different bidders I was up against (I was outbid once). Could've been just a
couple for all I know. Now, I find myself checking the bid lists on auctions
I'm interested in and usually avoiding those with private bidder ID's.

Bruce

Old May 27th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Lately, I've been running into more and more eBay auctions where the

bidder ID's
have been private. I bid in one auction (and won) before realizing that

all the
other bids-- eight or ten of them-- were private. Mine stood out as the

only
one showing my eBay ID. Who decides if the bidder ID's will be private?

The
seller? The bidders? Why wasn't my bidder ID hidden along with the rest?

The seller decides. You saw your own bid becaue you were logged in and you
can always see your own bids in every auction you bid on, private or not.

Log out of eBay, go back and look at the auction's bid history and your own
bid will be hidden too. Then log back in and it'll be visible again.

Harv

Old May 27th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Howdy;

I will not bid in "private" auctions for a couple of reasons.

1.) Shill bidding is much to easy to hide.

and

2.) I believe bid "retractions" are also not identified (see 1. above)

The lamest excuse I read about for the use of private auctions
is "my customers tell me they get emails from other sellers offering
similar items to what they have been bidding on"

I have been with ebay for almost 10 years, have never hidden my ID when I
bid,
and I don't remember ever being offered items similar to something I had bid
on.

IMHO, the ONLY time a "privite" auction should be run is if what is being
offered is very rare or unique where a handful of bidders may have the
means to afford it and do not want any of their competitors to know they
were the high bidder.

OK, I'm off the soapbox

Regards

Dan

Old May 28th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I have been contemplating making my more expensive auctions private.
It seems 90% of the time I have an auction close over $1,000, the
second and third place bidders get "phishing" email "2nd Chance"
offers. A few months ago, one of the second place bidders got hooked
and sent me threating emails demanding the coin after he paid some
other guy the money.

Old May 28th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I have seen this expressed in the past on this forum and agree. If the
bidding is private there is too much chance for shill bidding. Are most
of the sellers honest? Yes, but some are not and figuring out which is
which is not worth the trouble.

Chas.

Old May 28th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Doesn't Ira have a disclaimer regarding 2nd chance offers in his
auctions?
Old May 29th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Yes he does, but I'm sure his 2nd place bidders still get phishing
emails.