Gold Bullion coins

Old August 12th 04, 09:38 PM
Coin Saver

Default Gold Bullion coins

From: GoldenMan54

buying Bullion coins and bars usually means that you are seeking a good

investment

Seeking. Not necessarily acquiring.

they do not lose their value

Wrong. As with any commodity, the future prices are not guaranteed. Case in
point: in the mid-80's, Gold topped off at $800 / oz. If you had bought gold
at any point close to then, you are still waiting for the price to recover, and
may still have another 20-year wait.
8-|
- Coin Saver

Old August 12th 04, 10:48 PM
Bob Flaminio

Byron L. Reed wrote:
Wrong. As with any commodity, the future prices are not guaranteed.
Case in point: in the mid-80's, Gold topped off at $800 / oz. If you
had bought gold at any point close to then, you are still waiting for
the price to recover, and may still have another 20-year wait.

It's worse than that. Even if the current price of gold went to $800,
you would still have lost the time value of the money for over 20
years.

Assume you bought an ounce of gold at the peak price of $850 in 1980.
In order to break even for inflation alone you would have to sell it
for $2054.70 (year 2003 figures from the Inflation Calculator). This
is assuming, of course, that you haven't lost at least 2% in
commissions at each end of your transaction.

To make it even worse, had you invested that $850 in 1980, at a nominal
rate of return of 8%, you would have over $5000 today.

Oh yeah. Buy gold. Great investment, there.

--
Bob

Old August 13th 04, 04:11 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:48:02 -0700, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

Assume you bought an ounce of gold at the peak price of $850 in 1980.
In order to break even for inflation alone you would have to sell it
for $2054.70 (year 2003 figures from the Inflation Calculator). This
is assuming, of course, that you haven't lost at least 2% in
commissions at each end of your transaction.

To make it even worse, had you invested that $850 in 1980, at a nominal
rate of return of 8%, you would have over $5000 today.

Oh yeah. Buy gold. Great investment, there.

This is exactly what I think of sometimes when watching the Antiques
Road Show. It seems on every episode they have somebody who bought
something for $50 in the 1950s that is now worth $200. Everybody on
the show, including the professionals who should know better,
congratulate the person for making such a wise "investment". BAH!

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com
Old September 6th 04, 06:55 AM
Larry W

Buying and selling metals has certainly subsidized my permanent collection
throughout the years.

"GoldenMan54 goldenman54" wrote in message
I play the precious metals markets and thus I have a large amount of
gold bullion coins down in a bank vault. I roam the pawn shops buying up
gold coins and when I sell off a batch, I have always been able to sell
at a good profit. Bullion coins and bars usually means that you are
seeking a good investment and while they do not lose their value, you
miight have to wait a while to clear a good profit.

Old September 6th 04, 03:55 PM
phil

As long as you do your homework,metals can be a positive investment.
If not,its just a money pit.

--
Today 50 families will find out their child has autism.
1 in 166 children have an autism spectrum disorder.