Limerick Coin Contest Rules

Old June 23rd 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

Default Limerick Coin Contest Rules

This coin contest is for a mystery coin prize; the likes of which may be
announced by the recipient in late July if he/she so chooses. The contest
will involve writing a limerick and posting it to RCC while observing the
following rules.

1) The subject of the limerick can be from the following list: coins, RCC, a
person you know through coins or coin collecting, or a member of RCC.

2) The winner will be determined by a process that will be described after
the close of entries on July 1 at Midnight Eastern Time.

3) The format of the limerick will be according to the following guidelines:
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/fabe...poetrytips.htm

LIMERICKS
* There are five lines in a limerick
* The rhyme scheme is a a b b a
* Lines 1, 2, and 5 rhyme
* Lines 3 and 4 rhyme
* While the number of syllables per line may vary, generally a limerick
follows this structu
* Line 1: 8 syllables
* Line 2: 8 syllables
* Line 3: 5 syllables
* Line 4: 5 syllables
* Line 5: 8 syllables

I will allow a variance of one syllable provided that all lines of 'a' are
the same number of syllables and all lines of 'b' are the same number of
syllables.

4) The limerick must should posted as a reply in this thread. You may
change the subject if you like.

5) There will be a bonus winner determined by a process that will be
described after the close of entries on July 1 at Midnight Eastern Time.
The bonus winner will win the same prize as the regular winner. If the same
person that wins the contest is also the bonus winner, the second prize will
be different than the first.

6) Anyone may enter except for the Gogu troll and, please, no sock puppets.
If beekeep wins then he has to pay shipping costs.

If there are any questions, please ask.

Old June 23rd 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Ng

PC wrote:
This coin contest is for a mystery coin prize; the likes of which may be
announced by the recipient in late July if he/she so chooses. The contest
will involve writing a limerick and posting it to RCC while observing the
following rules.

1) The subject of the limerick can be from the following list: coins, RCC, a
person you know through coins or coin collecting, or a member of RCC.

Ah yes. Here we go again. The "member" concept. Do we need to apply
for membership then, and if so, how do we apply?

[...]

Am I missing an inside joke on the second part of this statement?

If there are any questions, please ask.

Old June 23rd 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"Michael Ng" wrote in message
PC wrote:
This coin contest is for a mystery coin prize; the likes of which may be
announced by the recipient in late July if he/she so chooses. The
contest will involve writing a limerick and posting it to RCC while
observing the following rules.

1) The subject of the limerick can be from the following list: coins,
RCC, a person you know through coins or coin collecting, or a member of
RCC.

Ah yes. Here we go again. The "member" concept. Do we need to apply for
membership then, and if so, how do we apply?

You post to RCC. If the limerick contest is someone's first post then they
are a member when they post it. People who just read are subscribers and
that is fine but if ya don't enter ya can't win.

*snip*

6) Anyone may enter except for the Gogu troll and, please, no sock
puppets. If beekeep wins then he has to pay shipping costs.

Am I missing an inside joke on the second part of this statement?

See the Coin Contest Time! thread. I am only joking on the last part,
though.

Old June 23rd 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:05:20 -0700, Michael Ng
wrote:

PC wrote:
This coin contest is for a mystery coin prize; the likes of which may be
announced by the recipient in late July if he/she so chooses. The contest
will involve writing a limerick and posting it to RCC while observing the
following rules.

1) The subject of the limerick can be from the following list: coins, RCC, a
person you know through coins or coin collecting, or a member of RCC.

Ah yes. Here we go again. The "member" concept. Do we need to apply
for membership then, and if so, how do we apply?

There once was a poster named Ng,
Whose name was unpronounceable by some.
It seemed missing a letter
So most thought it better
To say “Michael” and not try to hum.

(Only Michael Ng will be able to tell if I have rhymed the first line
with the second and fifth. I'm not sure myself.)

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old June 23rd 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message
[...]

Questions:

1) On the linked page, the "engineering limerick" used as an example
violates two of the stated rules: line 2 does not strictly rhyme with lines
1 and 5 ("spells" vs. "hell" and "excel"), and line 4 contains more
syllables than line 3. May entrants take similar license?

2) Please define "Gogu troll."

Thanks,
James

Old June 23rd 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

PC skribis:

LIMERICKS
* There are five lines in a limerick
* The rhyme scheme is a a b b a
* Lines 1, 2, and 5 rhyme
* Lines 3 and 4 rhyme
* While the number of syllables per line may vary, generally a limerick
follows this structu
* Line 1: 8 syllables
* Line 2: 8 syllables
* Line 3: 5 syllables
* Line 4: 5 syllables
* Line 5: 8 syllables

Actually:

A limerick has five lines.
Lines 1, 2, and 5 rhyme, and are all three feet long.
Lines 3 and 4 rhyme, and are two feet long.
The feet are, traditionally, anapests, but very commonly amphibrachs,
in my experience.

My favorite (with a smallexcption in the scansion) is not appropriate
here, but what-the-heck.

There was a young man from Japan
Whose limericks just wouldn't scan.
When someone asked why,
He made the reply:
"It's probably because I always try to cram as many syllables into
the last line as I possilby can."

--
Stefano
"A balanced diet is essential: too many pizzas and not enough burritos

Old June 23rd 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
M K

Many a poster on RCC is a bit off
yet they think they have a boff
whining and feeding a troll
thinking they are on a roll
so I tell you: "Go and **** off!"
Old June 23rd 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Stefano MacGregor skribis:

The feet are, traditionally, anapests, but very commonly amphibrachs,
in my experience.

Maybe I should explain this for the edification of, at the very least,
the previous poster.

If we use "-" to indicate an unaccented syllable, and "/" to indicate
an accented one, a limerick looks like this:

- - / - - / - - /
- - / - - / - - /
- - / - - /
- - / - - /
- - / - - / - - /

....but sometimes we can get away with

- / - - / - - / -
- / - - / - - / -
- / - - / -
- / - - / -
- / - - / - - / -

....and sometimes the initial syllable of a line is missing.

--
Stefano
"A balanced diet is essential: too many potato chips and not enough

Old June 23rd 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:00 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Questions:

1) On the linked page, the "engineering limerick" used as an example
violates two of the stated rules: line 2 does not strictly rhyme with lines
1 and 5 ("spells" vs. "hell" and "excel"), and line 4 contains more
syllables than line 3. May entrants take similar license?

The question, asked James
Must the form be the same?
Can esses be added to context?
He's thoroughly perplexed,
and unwilling to assume any blame.

2) Please define "Gogu troll."

Gogu, who I think is a Greek,
Trolls the newsgroup every day of the week.
I wish he'd shuddup
About the safety of Yurrop
And how America makes him shout “Eeek!”

Thanks,
James

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old June 23rd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:00 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Questions:

1) On the linked page, the "engineering limerick" used as an example
violates two of the stated rules: line 2 does not strictly rhyme with
lines
1 and 5 ("spells" vs. "hell" and "excel"), and line 4 contains more
syllables than line 3. May entrants take similar license?

The question, asked James
Must the form be the same?
Can esses be added to context?
He's thoroughly perplexed,
and unwilling to assume any blame.

2) Please define "Gogu troll."

Gogu, who I think is a Greek,
Trolls the newsgroup every day of the week.
I wish he'd shuddup
About the safety of Yurrop
And how America makes him shout "Eeek!"

No way am I going to try to top that, Tony!

James
'still trying to figure out how to work "Nantucket" into a winning limerick'