Q: Guy Fawkes on Stamps

Old April 5th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Default Q: Guy Fawkes on Stamps

Last night I was contacted by one of my youth-club members, who is
fascinated about the idea of Bonfire Night, and who asked whether I know of
any stamps featuring Guy Fawkes? I don't, but admit there might well be
some, at least from the countries still commemorating this fellow. Countries
in questin might be GB, New Zealand, South Africa, Bahamas, and --
perhaps -- Canada (Newfoundland locals). Wiki mentions that Guy Fawkes was
celebrated in Australia up to the 1980s, but it was held on the Queen's
Birthday long weekend in June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Peresonally I first heard of Guy Fawkes during my youth in York during the
1960s, where it was still celebrated on 5th November, but have never come
across him since that time, and the idea that his portrait might have
appeared on stamps has simply never occurred to me.

Although the question is not overly important, I would be happy about some
leads, if any :-)

Mette

Old April 5th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Faw...y_Fawkes_Night

Peresonally I first heard of Guy Fawkes during my youth in York during the
1960s, where it was still celebrated on 5th November, but have never come
across him since that time, and the idea that his portrait might have
appeared on stamps has simply never occurred to me.

Although the question is not overly important, I would be happy about some
leads, if any :-)

Mette

Every year on 5 November, the English celebrate Guy Fawkes Night
(also known as Bonfire Night) marking the failed attempt by Guy
Fawkes
to blow up Parliament. Note: Contrary to wide held belief, Guy
Fawkes
was not the plot leader. He was but one member, out of five, who
carried
out the Gunpowder Plot and a rather minor one at that.

This UK stamp illustrating Parliament was issued in September 1975
for the 62nd Inter-Parliamentary Union Conference stamps.
http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/exh...parliament.jpg

There used to be a law which required people to celebrate the
uncovering of the plot in 1605 led by Guy Fawkes to blow up the
Houses of Parliament. While there are now not so many bonfires
with the effigy of Guy Fawkes on top, in recent years the number
of fireworks being exploded in the weeks (and months) before and
after 5 November has been growing.

Postmark - GB - April 1970 cover bearing illustrated cancellation for
the 400th Anniversary of Guy Fawkes birth.
http://www.thematics4u.com/ambrowCar...ucts/44562.jpg

Blair

Old April 5th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
- snip -

[...]

Thanks much Blair. The postmark is better than nothing, and I will pass on
the picture :-)

I do know this stamp as such, but since there are loads of stamps showing
the Parliament Building, that was why I searched for stamps portraying Guy
Fawkes himself. Maybe there are simply none :-(

Anyway, thanks much for the images and info :-)

Mette

Old April 5th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Paul Herber

On 5 Apr 2007 02:49:14 -0700, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

On Apr 5, 4:45 am, "Mette" wrote:
[...]

British, not just English.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Unicode characters http://www.diacrit.sandrila.co.uk/
Old April 5th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Paul Herber" skrev i en meddelelse
ell.net...

- snip -

Every year on 5 November, the English celebrate Guy Fawkes Night

British, not just English.

Of course!

In the meantime I have found the stamp itself in my own collections, and can
see that it was issued on 1st April 1970, celebrating the Declaration of
Arbroath, and I see no relation to Guy Fawkes at all.

This declaration being signed in 1320 (while Fawkes was born in 1570 and
executed on 31st January 1606 after the failed gunpowder plot against the
Parliament), I fail to understand how this postmark is connected with Guy
Fawkes' person. Maybe it is "just one of those things"? Can anyone give a
clue?

Mette

Old April 5th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Apr 5, 9:02 am, "Mette" wrote:
"Paul Herber" skrev i en meddelelsenews:dal9135ba6o1sdtjd36ffkoj03jrd2ejct@ news.gradwell.net...

- snip -

Every year on 5 November, the English celebrate Guy Fawkes Night

British, not just English.

Of course!

In the meantime I have found the stamp itself in my own collections, and can
see that it was issued on 1st April 1970, celebrating the Declaration of
Arbroath, and I see no relation to Guy Fawkes at all.

This declaration being signed in 1320 (while Fawkes was born in 1570 and
executed on 31st January 1606 after the failed gunpowder plot against the
Parliament), I fail to understand how this postmark is connected with Guy
Fawkes' person. Maybe it is "just one of those things"? Can anyone give a
clue?

Mette

Hello Mette:

Guy Fawkes was born on 13th April, 1570 at Stonegate, in the city of
York
and baptised on 16 April. The date on the cancel is the 400
anniversary of
his baptism. I'm not sure if it was used for a series of days (ie 13
to 16 April).

I doubt that the UK would ever put Fawkes on a stamp as he tried to
kill King James I (a Protestant) and he was a Roman Catholic.

The Declaration of 1320 was caused by the English king persuading
Pope John to excommunicate all Roman Catholics in Scotland along
with Robert the Bruce, leader of the Scottish rebellion.

Thus both events can be seen as blows for freedom, especially
religious freedom.

Blair

Old April 5th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
- snip -

Hello Mette:

Guy Fawkes was born on 13th April, 1570 at Stonegate, in the city of
York
and baptised on 16 April. The date on the cancel is the 400
anniversary of
his baptism. I'm not sure if it was used for a series of days (ie 13
to 16 April).

I doubt that the UK would ever put Fawkes on a stamp as he tried to
kill King James I (a Protestant) and he was a Roman Catholic.

The Declaration of 1320 was caused by the English king persuading
Pope John to excommunicate all Roman Catholics in Scotland along
with Robert the Bruce, leader of the Scottish rebellion.

Thus both events can be seen as blows for freedom, especially
religious freedom.

Excellent Blair, thank you very much :-) This info will be passed on to the
youth collector who asked, and he will be happy :-)) His English is not all
that well, so I will translate for him.

Honestly, I wonder what this group would do without you to complement the
various online info :-))

Mette

Old April 6th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:45:19 +0200, "Mette"
wrote:

[...]

This is not about stamps, but my first exposure to Fawkes was through
the movie "V for Vendetta" and actually, for a DC Comics movie - not
animated - it isn't that bad.

And - he - well, I can't say if he gets Parliament or not. You'd have
to watch the movie.
Old April 7th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

wrote in message

This is not about stamps, but my first exposure to Fawkes was through
the movie "V for Vendetta" and actually, for a DC Comics movie - not
animated - it isn't that bad.

My earliest recollections were of celebrating the capture
of Guy Fawkes, not the man himself, we despised him.
When I was a tacker, in Yeovil, Somerset, they used
to build this humungous bonfire, on the Huish Hill common,
stick Guy on top, and light it just after dusk.
Not environmentally friendly, as I recall, car tyres,
beds and mattresess were included in the mix.
The bonfire would be 20, 30 feet tall, it would go up
with this tremendous roar, whilst we kids would run around with
fire crackers and hurl them at each other.
men would nail "pin wheel" crackers to posts, and they would whizz
and splutter in brillaint displays of colour.
Old Guy Fawkes (straw effigy) would disappear in the furnace,
much to our delight.

Old April 7th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John H

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 09:14:15 +0800, "Rod" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

This is not about stamps, but my first exposure to Fawkes was through
the movie "V for Vendetta" and actually, for a DC Comics movie - not
animated - it isn't that bad.

My earliest recollections were of celebrating the capture
of Guy Fawkes, not the man himself, we despised him.
When I was a tacker, in Yeovil, Somerset, they used
to build this humungous bonfire, on the Huish Hill common,
stick Guy on top, and light it just after dusk.
Not environmentally friendly, as I recall, car tyres,
beds and mattresess were included in the mix.
The bonfire would be 20, 30 feet tall, it would go up
with this tremendous roar, whilst we kids would run around with
fire crackers and hurl them at each other.

Do you mean 'bangers' ?

men would nail "pin wheel" crackers to posts,

Do you mean 'Catherine Wheels'?

and they would whizz
and splutter in brillaint displays of colour.
Old Guy Fawkes (straw effigy) would disappear in the furnace,
much to our delight.

Your piece brings back wonderful memories but I've never heard of the fireworks
you mention.