British Gold Sovereigns - Prices?

Old March 28th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default British Gold Sovereigns - Prices?

What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

22 Carats, and 0.2354 try ounce, each.

Yes, I know that these are less efficient that Krugerrands. But
I am trying to figure out how much premium is involved for buying
this smaller amount.

Thanks...

--
Want Privacy?
http://www.MinistryOfPrivacy.com/
Old March 28th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

22 Carats, and 0.2354 try ounce, each.

Yes, I know that these are less efficient that Krugerrands. But
I am trying to figure out how much premium is involved for buying
this smaller amount.

Usually bullion plus a 4-6% premium and that's only if they are in great
shape.
Except it's a 1916;-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Thanks...

Old March 28th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Mar 28, 1:49 pm, "gogu" wrote:
Ο έγραψε στο g...

What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

22 Carats, and 0.2354 try ounce, each.

Yes, I know that these are less efficient that Krugerrands. But
I am trying to figure out how much premium is involved for buying
this smaller amount.

Usually bullion plus a 4-6% premium and that's only if they are in great
shape.
Except it's a 1916;-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mohttp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanu...org/index.html

Thanks...

--
Want Privacy?
http://www.MinistryOfPrivacy.com/- Hide quoted text -

I would suggest that $190 to $210 would be an average dealer's selling
price for decent looking Sovereigns (especially Queens). This versus
a melt of about $155. Perhaps Kings might go a little cheaper.

If you are in the States, you could probably buy the American Gold
Eagle Quarter ounce for $185 or so, and get a bit more gold too.

oly

Old March 29th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article
. com,
says...
On Mar 28, 1:49 pm, "gogu" wrote:
=CF =DD=E3=F1=E1=F8=E5 =F3=F4=EF =EC=DE=ED=

.org...

What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

22 Carats, and 0.2354 try ounce, each.

Yes, I know that these are less efficient that Krugerrands. But
I am trying to figure out how much premium is involved for buying
this smaller amount.

Usually bullion plus a 4-6% premium and that's only if they are in great
shape.
Except it's a 1916;-)

I would suggest that $190 to $210 would be an average
dealer's selling price

OK, that is semi-reassuring. I was bit concerned. The other day
at my local dealer, there were some for NZ$300. Which is about
US$220.

I wanted to make sure that they were at least in a reasonable
range.

for decent looking Sovereigns

I'm not sure what "decent looking" means. But I'll have a closer
look on a future visit.

(especially Queens). This versus
a melt of about $155. Perhaps Kings might go a little cheaper.

Queen meaning Victoria??? Would modern Elizabeth II versions be
expected to sell for less than the Kings (looks like maybe four
different Kings)?

If you are in the States, you could probably buy the American Gold
Eagle Quarter ounce for $185 or so, and get a bit more gold too.

No, unfortunately, my location has some serious issues with
availability and lack of competition. So I am resigned to paying
some extra premium, compared to US prices.

For example, I just bought some Mercury dimes for the equivalent
of US$1.45 each. And I have seen even higher prices online.
Just for random 1940s - nothing special.

So, anyway, it sounds like my dealer's Sovereigns might be sort
of OK. I'll read a bit more, and then check their dates.

Although I feel rather more confident about continuing with my
silver focus. While I am more suspicious of gold dropping a
significant amount. Also, I have personal issues with currency
exchange rates (at their craptastic peak right now), and maybe
should wait until they swing a little more in my favour.

Old March 29th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:31:16 -0800, Usenet2007 THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

5-10 bucks either side of spot, depending on if ou're buying or selling.
If your offer is worse than that, talk to me if you're selling please.

Old March 29th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:25:02 -0800, Usenet2007 THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:31:16 -0800, Usenet2007 THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

5-10 bucks either side of spot,

There seems to be a slight difficulty on designating spot. Since
they are 22 Cararat, and less that a quarter ounce. Which
creates annoyances with calculating for some people.

If they can't handle basic math, find a dealer who can.

Although it
doesn't seem too complicated for me.

depending on if ou're buying or selling.
If your offer is worse than that, talk to me if you're selling please.

As I mentioned in another post, my local dealer has a few. At
the equivalent of about US$220.

Dang...How many you want at that price?

So I am trying to figure out how much to pay when buying.

Less than that.

But I am still wobbling in my anticipations about gold prices,
and currency exchange, and how that will be effected by the next
US Presidential change-out.

Anyone who pretends to know what that will mean is bull****ting you.

Gold might go down, due to less risk
of another war creating oil price instability? I dunnno...

Gold will continue to be, more or less, 10 times the price of crude.
Or not, who knows. Buy shiny things you enjoy having or not, and see
what happens. A Monarch Set of Sovereigns costs little in premium to
build, and might just net you a profit. If you want sure thing, talk to
your bank. Metals, like the stock market, are nothing but legalized
gambling.

Old March 29th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

wrote in message
What is a reasonable price for British gold sovereigns?

22 Carats, and 0.2354 try ounce, each.

Yes, I know that these are less efficient that Krugerrands. But
I am trying to figure out how much premium is involved for buying
this smaller amount.

Krugerrands? ewww... too much markup.
This is probably only of use to Aussies, but
http://www.ausbullion.com.au/liveprices.html is a great resource for me. I
get the daily updates, and its most illuminating! (Good to see both sell
and buy prices.)

They don't distinguish between kings and queens, and no mention of quality
(G,F,VF,EF,AU,UNC, etc.) is ever made (AFAIK) Just bullion value.

Its also good to see the different values for Krugerrands, Luongs, other
bullion coins, bars and so on.

I like Sovs.
They combine bulion value with historical (for me) interest.

--
Jeff R.

Old March 29th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

wrote in message
[...]

Sovereigns should be of more interest to a coin collector as they are more
of a real coin than the many solely bullion coins that are available, the
sovereign circulated I believe up the outbreak of WWI. Billy

Gold Sovereigns Nick Summers Coins 30 May 17th 06 09:35 PM
FS: 4 Sovereigns Mike Coins 0 November 18th 05 03:02 AM
FA: scarce British coins (Proof Ed7, conder tokens), Aussie gold soverign & British Commonwealth hunlsi Coins 0 October 16th 05 03:42 AM
FS: US Gold half and Double Eagles, plus British Gold Sovereigns Melvin Dwight Snow Coins 0 April 26th 05 06:28 AM
British/Australian sovereigns for sale at melt value, late 1800's to present day Clark Smith Coins 0 September 2nd 03 06:26 AM