What would you have done?

Old October 31st 03, 10:48 AM
JSTONE9352

Default What would you have done?

I was at an antique auction yesterday and during the lot viewing time overheard
the following conversation:

"Do you want to be in a pool?"

"Sure"

"Meet at the table in the back where the woman is sitting"

I know that pools exist at auctions but I've never seen or heard something
so brazen as this. Should I have told the auctioneer what I heard or just
mind my own business and keep my mouth shut? In the end I did nothing
since I didn't know what to do.

(P.S. no, I didn't consider asking to join their auction pool).
Old October 31st 03, 12:26 PM
Larry Louks

JSTONE9352 wrote:
I didn't consider asking to join their auction pool

I guess I've led a sheltered life for these six decades. Fill me in on
what an auction pool is. I don't think I've ever heard of the concept of
such.

-=LDL

Old October 31st 03, 04:39 PM
Craton

I guess I've led a sheltered life for these six decades. Fill me in on
what an auction pool is. I don't think I've ever heard of the concept of
such.

-=LDL

Ditto .....

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old October 31st 03, 06:24 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Larry Louks"

I guess I've led a sheltered life for these six decades. Fill me in on

what an auction pool is.

Okay. Working term here is "shill bids".

Let's say you take your 1995-W SAE to an auction. There you meet up with me, I
have a 1988-A F* WebNote. I say:

"Look, me and the guy with the 3-legged Buffalo nickel got an arrangement; I
shill-bid his, he does same to mine, to increase the price. With three of us,
it won't be so obvious."

.... and so on.

8-/

Coin Saver
Old October 31st 03, 07:17 PM
John Stone

"Larry Louks" wrote in message news:hysob.54380$9E1.242603@attbi_s52...
JSTONE9352 wrote:
I didn't consider asking to join their auction pool

I guess I've led a sheltered life for these six decades. Fill me in on
what an auction pool is. I don't think I've ever heard of the concept of
such.

-=LDL

It is when a group of dealers or collectors get together at an auction
and
agree not to bid against each other on certain items in order to get
them at
a lower price. In some auctions there could be several pools
operating that are unknown to the other. It is illegal in every
state. It is something that is not
widely talked about in numismatic circles but it does go on. Years
ago several
dealers got heavy fines ranging from $50,000-$120,000 for being in an
auction
pool at a Christie's auction. A dealer once told me he was in a pool
at the
auction at the Memphis Paper Money Show. He didn't use the word pool
but..."I got together with ______ and ______ and we agreed not to
bid against each other"
Old October 31st 03, 07:54 PM
Scottishmoney

"John Stone" wrote in message

It is when a group of dealers or collectors get together at an auction
and
agree not to bid against each other on certain items in order to get
them at
a lower price.

Okay that explained, if you had complained I would have imagined you would
have had the burden of proof. It is a definate grey area, how can you tell
people they cannot agree to outbid one another on an item? What if they
have a first see first bid agreement?

Hard call because it all comes in proving that they had such an agreement.

Dave

---

Old October 31st 03, 10:45 PM
JSTONE9352

Okay that explained, if you had complained I would have imagined you would
have had the burden of proof. It is a definate grey area, how can you tell
people they cannot agree to outbid one another on an item? What if they
have a first see first bid agreement?

Hard call because it all comes in proving that they had such an agreement.

Dave

---

A pool would probably be hard to prove. Most likely there is nothing in

writing between the pool particpants. It would
probably be a matter of overheard conversations, the auction company becoming
suspicious and sending
someone undercover with a tape recorder
during the auction and try to get some
evidence etc. It took several years for
the authorities to put together the case
against the dealers at the Christie's
auction. How they put the case together was never revealed.

Old October 31st 03, 10:49 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:26:53 GMT, "Larry Louks"
wrote:

JSTONE9352 wrote:
I didn't consider asking to join their auction pool

I guess I've led a sheltered life for these six decades. Fill me in on
what an auction pool is. I don't think I've ever heard of the concept of
such.

-=LDL

A pool works like this. A group of bidders get together and make a master
list of what lots they want to buy and how much they are willing to pay.
They then bid as if they are a single bidder against the rest of the crowd.
This lowers bids dramatically, especially on items where two of the pool
would have had a bidding war. This usually works best on bulk collection
lots that are only of interest to dealers. After the auction, the lots won
by the pool are distributed based upon the difference between pool member's
competing bids, or by closed auction.

For example, if I was willing to pay $50K for a collection and That Damn
Krummel was willing to pay $75K it would have sold for to $51K to Bill at
real auction. Assume that by me sitting on my hands in the pool that is
sells to our bidder at $35K. I just saved Bill $16K by being in the pool.
In return, he supplies me with either a cash kickback or saleable material.

What happened several years ago at stamp auctions was very sophisticated in
that many major lot-splitters got involved together in a pool and material
was selling for only 10-20% of true cash value.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm