Looking Back #135 - (US) Columbian 4¢ "Three-Leaf" Variety

Old November 25th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Looking Back #135 - (US) Columbian 4¢ "Three-Leaf" Variety

(US) Columbian 4¢ "Three-Leaf" Variety

Wendover Neefus, Hudson, N. Y., calls my attention to
the variety frequently found in the 4¢ of the Columbian
issue, of 1893, Scott's No. 233.

This variety has been known for many years, but it will
no doubt be new to many of our more recent collectors.
In the normal 4¢ Columbian stamp, the ornament just to
the left of the numeral "4" at the right, shows two leaves
or segments, whereas the variety usually shows three
leaves, more or less as the form of the segments varies.

I have always considered that the variety was caused
by the scooping of ink from the recess around the
numeral during printing, but as it turns up with such
regularity, it might be due to other causes. It is also
quite possible that similar varieties may be found in
the same area in other values of the set, -- I have
never checked them seriously. However, it is an
interesting variety, easily seen, and if you find one
among your stamps you may as well note it.

- George B. Sloane
Sloane's Column
Stamps
May 22, 1937

Note: When fewer stamps were issued, there
seemed to be more interest in "fly speck" philately
as this search for minor varieties is known.

CPK Dolls & Misc Items--- FS Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:53 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM