"Authentication Only" vs. Net Grade

Old August 22nd 05, 07:02 PM
LRC-Tom

Default "Authentication Only" vs. Net Grade

I bought a Morgan collection which includes three key dates: 1893-S,
1894-P, and 1895-O. All are decent coins based on details (wear), but
each has problems such as scratches or cleaning. I intend to submit
them to ANACS for authentication, but I haven't decided whether to have
them give a net grade, or just authenticate only.

I'd like people's opinions: would you be inclined to buy a coin which
was certified as authentic only, as long as the picture was clear
enough that you could see the defects and judge for yourself? Or would
you be more inclined to buy a coin that ANACS had net-graded (i.e. VF
details, net Fine, scratched)?

How do you feel, and how do you feel the market as a whole views this
issue?

thanks,

...Tom

Old August 22nd 05, 07:09 PM
Ian

LRC-Tom wrote:
I bought a Morgan collection which includes three key dates: 1893-S,
1894-P, and 1895-O. All are decent coins based on details (wear), but
each has problems such as scratches or cleaning. I intend to submit
them to ANACS for authentication, but I haven't decided whether to have
them give a net grade, or just authenticate only.

I'd like people's opinions: would you be inclined to buy a coin which
was certified as authentic only, as long as the picture was clear
enough that you could see the defects and judge for yourself? Or would
you be more inclined to buy a coin that ANACS had net-graded (i.e. VF
details, net Fine, scratched)?

How do you feel, and how do you feel the market as a whole views this
issue?

thanks,

..Tom

FWIW, if I had a gap in my Morgan collection for any of these (and I
do!) then i'd be more concerned primarily as to the authenticity of the
coin than the net grade. After the authenticity was satisfied, i'd be
concerned that I could afford the coin that I saw in front of me (image
wise). After all, I'd personally bid what I thought the coin was worth
(according to what I saw) as opposed to someone else's consideration of it.

Ian
Old August 22nd 05, 07:30 PM
Bill Krummel

"LRC-Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a Morgan collection which includes three key dates: 1893-S,
1894-P, and 1895-O. All are decent coins based on details (wear), but
each has problems such as scratches or cleaning. I intend to submit
them to ANACS for authentication, but I haven't decided whether to have
them give a net grade, or just authenticate only.

I'd like people's opinions: would you be inclined to buy a coin which
was certified as authentic only, as long as the picture was clear
enough that you could see the defects and judge for yourself? Or would
you be more inclined to buy a coin that ANACS had net-graded (i.e. VF
details, net Fine, scratched)?

Good questions. I think that the ANACS net grade can be helpful sometimes
and harmful sometimes. I like to do my own net grading. When I see an
ANACS net grade, I will definitely not bid into the VF details price
territory, regardless of how I personally net grade the coin ( perhaps a
particular problem does not bother me so much and I still view the coin a
VF). Not only do I not bid into the VF details territory, but I tend to
bid shy of the net Fine grade.

All in all, I would just get the authentication and provide an image equal
to the quality of image you normally provide and also verbally point out the
type and location of the problem. It's just a guess, but I think you would
do as well and maybe better without the net grade.

Bill

Old August 22nd 05, 07:52 PM
Cliff

On 22 Aug 2005 11:02:04 -0700, "LRC-Tom"
wrote:

I bought a Morgan collection which includes three key dates: 1893-S,
1894-P, and 1895-O. All are decent coins based on details (wear), but
each has problems such as scratches or cleaning. I intend to submit
them to ANACS for authentication, but I haven't decided whether to have
them give a net grade, or just authenticate only.

I'd like people's opinions: would you be inclined to buy a coin which
was certified as authentic only, as long as the picture was clear
enough that you could see the defects and judge for yourself? Or would
you be more inclined to buy a coin that ANACS had net-graded (i.e. VF
details, net Fine, scratched)?

How do you feel, and how do you feel the market as a whole views this
issue?

thanks,

..Tom

Tom,
I probably wouldn't bid on a key coin if it were just "authenticated"
and didn't have a net grade. I don't trust my grading skills well
enough to determine how far down something should be netted due to
whatever problems there are.

You never know, it might come back graded higher than you think it is
too.
Cliff

Old August 22nd 05, 10:44 PM
James Higby

"LRC-Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a Morgan collection which includes three key dates: 1893-S,
1894-P, and 1895-O. All are decent coins based on details (wear), but
each has problems such as scratches or cleaning. I intend to submit
them to ANACS for authentication, but I haven't decided whether to have
them give a net grade, or just authenticate only.

I'd like people's opinions: would you be inclined to buy a coin which
was certified as authentic only, as long as the picture was clear
enough that you could see the defects and judge for yourself? Or would
you be more inclined to buy a coin that ANACS had net-graded (i.e. VF
details, net Fine, scratched)?

How do you feel, and how do you feel the market as a whole views this
issue?

thanks,

..Tom

The kinds of problems that I see on ANACS "net-graded" coins warrant a lower
net grade than what is usually assigned. Generally speaking, when buying, a
dealer will prefer an unencumbered VF slabbed coin to an XF, net VF slabbed
coin, and so do I. The problem arises when a dealer hides behind an
inflated net grade when selling.

James

Old August 23rd 05, 12:18 AM
LM5403

Don't forget, you can send it to NCS and get a details grade -- they don't
net grade.

oups.com...

Old August 23rd 05, 02:25 AM
LRC-Tom

Yes, I'm thinking about NCS...they cost a bit more, but it may be the
best way. Anyone else have experience with them?

...Tom

Old August 23rd 05, 02:25 AM
LRC-Tom

Old August 23rd 05, 02:02 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On 22 Aug 2005 18:25:32 -0700, "LRC-Tom" is
alleged to have written:
Yes, I'm thinking about NCS...they cost a bit more, but it may be the
best way. Anyone else have experience with them?

..Tom

I dealt with them once. Excellent customer service, but the proof they
worked on for me wouldn't slab at PCGS afterward. In fairness, I'm not
sure it would have slabbed before.

Bruce

ANA R162074
EAC 3606