Counterfeit 1/10 plat eagle reported in Coin World

Old October 29th 03, 06:03 AM
TomDeLorey

Default Counterfeit 1/10 plat eagle reported in Coin World

The Coin World Online site reports that somebody is selling counterfeit 2002
1/10th oz. platinum eagles on eBay. The die work is rather crude. The pieces
are made of copper, and plated with what may be silver. They are light weight.
Tom DeLorey
TomDeLorey
..
"Standard Oil" What they use to keep the grading standards slippery!
Old October 29th 03, 11:01 AM
Stujoe

TomDeLorey spoke thusly...
The Coin World Online site reports that somebody is selling counterfeit 2002
1/10th oz. platinum eagles on eBay. The die work is rather crude. The pieces
are made of copper, and plated with what may be silver. They are light weight.
Tom DeLorey
TomDeLorey
.
"Standard Oil" What they use to keep the grading standards slippery!

ICG had a press release about it a couple of days ago that I found while
searching news stories for my website:

http://www.icgcoin.com/p031023.htm

--
Stujoe
The Stujoe Collection: Coin Grading, News, Forums and more...
Old October 29th 03, 09:24 PM
Frank Provasek

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
Stujoe wrote:

Hmmmm.....Secret Service?

I thought someone "periodically" tells us that the Secret Service isn't
interested in counterfeits of collectible coins....hmmmm.

That's because it's a CURRENT coin. Not an 1840 Bust half.

Old October 29th 03, 10:18 PM
Phil DeMayo

Stujoe wrote:

ICG had a press release about it a couple of days ago that I found while
searching news stories for my website:

http://www.icgcoin.com/p031023.htm

Another thought on this article, if I am reading into it correctly, it would
seem that ICG is consulting with our own very industrious Daniel Carr on the
method of the die manufacture.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old October 30th 03, 01:04 AM
Coin Saver

From: Phil DeMayo

I thought someone "periodically" tells us that the Secret Service isn't

interested in counterfeits of collectible coins

Well, I happen to know the Great-great nephew of Kit Carson, who works for the
ClA undercover as an FBl plant in the Secret Servise, and he disputes that
titbit of information ...

.... of course, due to his delicate position, I cannot get him to verify his
statements ...

8-D
Coin Saver
Old October 30th 03, 01:58 AM
D Carr

Phil,
James Taylor (ICG) did contact me a few days ago regarding the coin in question.
We discussed possible methods on how it could have beeen created.
I'm planning to go take a look at the piece in person tomorrow.
And then after that, I'm off to the Denver coin show for "Dealer's Only" day (Thursday).

Old October 30th 03, 03:09 AM
Nick Knight

In , on 10/29/2003
at 09:24 PM, "Frank Provasek" said:

I thought someone "periodically" tells us that the Secret Service isn't
interested in counterfeits of collectible coins....hmmmm.

That's because it's a CURRENT coin. Not an 1840 Bust half.

A bullet would bounce off of Phil's head, it's that hard. How does common
sense stand a chance of penetrating? (rhetorical)

Nick
Old October 30th 03, 05:44 AM
Phil DeMayo

"Nick Knight" wrote:

"Frank Provasek" said:

I thought someone "periodically" tells us that the Secret Service isn't
interested in counterfeits of collectible coins....hmmmm.

That's because it's a CURRENT coin. Not an 1840 Bust half.

A bullet would bounce off of Phil's head, it's that hard. How does common
sense stand a chance of penetrating? (rhetorical)

Well, now that the scared little girl known as "nancy" has used the excuse of
someone else quoting my response to peek out from under her killfile, can
"rita" be far behind?

++++++++++
Old October 30th 03, 06:10 AM
TomDeLorey

Also, it happens to have a "face value" of $10. That makes it more interesting
to the Secret Service than a counterfeit 1909-SVDB with a face value of only
one cent.
Tom DeLorey
..

Old October 31st 03, 01:03 AM
Coin Saver

"Standard Oil"

Standard Oil of New York .... ever hear of them?

.... or was it Shell Oil of New York?

.... nope ... Standard ...

8-Z

Coin Saver