A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rowe R-82 carousel never stops spinning??

Old August 2nd 12, 12:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Rowe R-82 carousel never stops spinning??

Sometimes it would go to every selection and pick up,or mostly it just spins continuous,non stop.
Any idea?
Ads
Old August 2nd 12, 07:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:16:32 AM UTC+10, (unknown) wrote:
Sometimes it would go to every selection and pick up,or mostly it just spins continuous,non stop.

Any idea?

what shows on the display while it is doing this, and does pressing the "reset" or "clear memory" button on the memory unit (bottom right board in mech) stop this happening ?
Old August 3rd 12, 01:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The display shows the numbers changing as per scan.
I've tried the rest,but it doesn't do anything.Maybe I'm pushing in the wrong button?I thought the memory unit was just up from the amp at top.
Thanks

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:06:47 AM UTC-5, kreed wrote:

Any idea?

what shows on the display while it is doing this, and does pressing the "reset" or "clear memory" button on the memory unit (bottom right board in mech) stop this happening ?

Old August 3rd 12, 10:54 AM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
The display shows the numbers changing as per scan.
I've tried the rest,but it doesn't do anything.Maybe I'm pushing in the wrong button?I thought the memory unit was just up from the amp at top.
Thanks

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:06:47 AM UTC-5, kreed wrote:

Any idea?

No that is the Memmorec, the memory unit is on the righthand side of the mechanism/carousel and the mechanism control is on the lefthand side.

I suggest that you check that the the spar assembly is ok the sprag lever can sometimes come out of its guide, if this is the case once the mechanism motor starts it can not stop.

If this is not the case I suggest that you send in the boards to a Rowe Ami engineer for testing/repair:-

Memory Unit 301-07855
Mechanism Control Unit 401-06905
Selector Logic 601-08060

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old August 4th 12, 12:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:16:32 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:

Any idea?

I'm not sure what the spar assembly is.
I have a service manuel ordered.
Today,it just picked up from carrage and sat down on turn table,pick up from turntable,and put back at carrage....no scanning.Hmmm
I sure appreciate all the input.
Thanks
Old August 7th 12, 05:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:01:15 AM UTC+10, Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:16:32 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:

Any idea?

I'm not sure what the spar assembly is.

I have a service manuel ordered.

Today,it just picked up from carrage and sat down on turn table,pick up from turntable,and put back at carrage....no scanning.Hmmm

I sure appreciate all the input.

Thanks

Probably meant the "sprag" assembly? That is the large gear, motor, switch and solenoid assembly that handles the turning of the record rack. It is in the centre on the lower part of the mechanism (below and behind the turntable). If this switch was faulty or out of adjustment, of the assembly does not move freely, this could make the magazine turn indefinitely. Adjustment of this will be covered in detail in your manual when you get it.

This is not covered in the manual, but note also to NEVER EVER OVERTIGHTEN THE 2 SCREWS THAT ARE EITHER SIDE OF THE LARGE GEAR WHEEL !! They only screw into a "**** metal" casting behind the wheel, and this is dead easy to strip. Once you strip this, you need to remove the magazine, countersink the BACK of this **** metal piece and use countersunk bolts through to the front. Any attempt to use nuts behind there will result in it hitting the magazine as it turns - there isnt any clearance there to speak of.

Also check the mech control board (on left at bottom). I have had a transistor fail on this before that caused this "endless scanning".
Old August 12th 12, 07:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:16:32 PM UTC-5, Tim wrote:

Any idea?

So the memory units can be fixed?
I understood that there is an obsolete chip on these that cannot be replaced due to no replacements available.
Mine is now scanning,nubers show on top,then it may stop at a random selection and try to play,or just stop of a few seconds and start scanning again.
Old August 13th 12, 02:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 13, 2012 4:15:42 AM UTC+10, Tim wrote:

Any idea?

They can, if you can get hold of the obsolete chip.

I understood that there is an obsolete chip on these that cannot be replaced due to no replacements available.

True. Its called a 7407 or there is a variant called a 7407 A or B (not sure which now, but it is the same except that the number displayed for A and B side is reversed or something like that). It has not been available since the early 1990's that I recall, but this may vary depending on how good your ROWE distributor was where you live.

In my experience, the chip also has a very high failure rate in these machines, and it is also a straight MOS technology so is much much more susceptible to static electricity than even the old CMOS devices. I do have a new one here somewhere, but no way to test it.

Note that there are 2 (or 3) other custom IC's in the machine that are also likely to be unobtainable. One is in the "selector logic" and another is in the "credit computer". Note that these rarely if ever fail in my experience. (The 3rd is in the Memorec - above the amplifier lid, but not all machines had a Memorec unit as standard).

Note that if you search for 7407 IC, you will find numerous links to a commonly available 7407 buffer IC, this is a standard logic gate, and is not the same chip as used in the ROWE memory unit.

Please note also that the chip essentially IS the memory unit. Except for the autoplay circuitry (if fitted on your board), and battery charger and -17v regulator section it internally performs every function of the module. The only other thing you can try is to hang a 10k resistor from each of the wipers on that encoder wheel (via the plug on the memory unit) to the -17v rail, as there are no pull up resistors fitted in the factory. This can sometimes fix problems involving endless scanning, and jumping numbers on the display. Checking the switch and sprag unit as mentioned elsewhere in the thread is also a great idea to rule out all other possibilities.

Again precautions involving static discharge are mandatory in this case.

Mine is now scanning,nubers show on top,then it may stop at a random selection and try to play,or just stop of a few seconds and start scanning again.

Old August 13th 12, 12:10 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed View Post
On Monday, August 13, 2012 4:15:42 AM UTC+10, Tim wrote:

Any idea?

They can, if you can get hold of the obsolete chip.

True. Its called a 7407 or there is a variant called a 7407 A or B (not sure which now, but it is the same except that the number displayed for A and B side is reversed or something like that). It has not been available since the early 1990's that I recall, but this may vary depending on how good your ROWE distributor was where you live.

In my experience, the chip also has a very high failure rate in these machines, and it is also a straight MOS technology so is much much more susceptible to static electricity than even the old CMOS devices. I do have a new one here somewhere, but no way to test it.

Note that there are 2 (or 3) other custom IC's in the machine that are also likely to be unobtainable. One is in the "selector logic" and another is in the "credit computer". Note that these rarely if ever fail in my experience. (The 3rd is in the Memorec - above the amplifier lid, but not all machines had a Memorec unit as standard).

Note that if you search for 7407 IC, you will find numerous links to a commonly available 7407 buffer IC, this is a standard logic gate, and is not the same chip as used in the ROWE memory unit.

Please note also that the chip essentially IS the memory unit. Except for the autoplay circuitry (if fitted on your board), and battery charger and -17v regulator section it internally performs every function of the module. The only other thing you can try is to hang a 10k resistor from each of the wipers on that encoder wheel (via the plug on the memory unit) to the -17v rail, as there are no pull up resistors fitted in the factory. This can sometimes fix problems involving endless scanning, and jumping numbers on the display. Checking the switch and sprag unit as mentioned elsewhere in the thread is also a great idea to rule out all other possibilities.

Again precautions involving static discharge are mandatory in this case.

The LSI chip used in the R-80S through to R-83 was deleted by Rowe Ami & Motorola in the early 1980's (1981 springs to mind) the custom chip was only made for this range of jukeboxes.

Dependant on which country you live in will dictate where you can send them for sale. I know that Bruce Wentworth in the USA no longer does these but does have contact details of somebody that does, I repair these in the UK. but I require the set of boards for testing:-

Memory Unit
Mechanism Control Unit
Selector Logic Unit

I test these as a set of boards to avoid problems with boards going backwards & forwards. Any dry joints are fixed and the result is a good set of boards.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old August 15th 12, 12:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim[_5_]
external usenet poster

Any idea?

So they "can" be repaired?
I have no problem sending them to you if they can be repaired.I have no doubt it's the memory unit.But I'm no repair person.
I also know a operator here that has 4 machines that new the memory units fixed.They say,No Chip.LOL
Let me know.I sure would like to get this box up.
Thanks Tim