Arrogant Ebay

Old October 25th 03, 01:34 AM
Frank Provasek

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message

I read both newsgroups. Or, at least I used to. The eBay newsgroup
is so dominated by whining complainers that it's not worth the bother,
though. It's like a class reunion of Hall Monitors.

A few years ago in a "for sale" newsgroup, a couple of propeller-heads
that appointed themselves "newsgroup czars" used to get their panties in a
knot
whenever someone would list an item with an ebay link. But in their logic,
an "auction" wasn't a "sale." In response to a 3 line posting, they would
write
hundreds of lines ranting about the ebay listing costing people money in
certain countries where Internet access was charged per minute
(notwithstanding it was a US local newsgroup), there were thousands and
thousands of mom-and-pop ISPs that
the original poster was STEALING hard drive space from, that someone in
Dallas
posting a Dallas auction on a Dallas local newsgroup was violating the
charter
because the fact that ebay is in California made it a CALIFORNIA auction,
therefore
off topic, here is what I wrote the original poster's ISP "Please nuke this
account for
violation of newsgroup charter. The Usenet community cannot continue to
exist
when your customers violate such basic rules blah blah blah."

What a pitiful life these Internet control-freaks must have....

RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://www.frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259
Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association, Fort Worth Coin Club.
Member: Texas Numismatic Assoc, American Numismatic Assoc

Old October 25th 03, 02:25 AM
JSTONE9352

The Usenet community cannot continue to
exist
when your customers violate such basic rules blah blah blah."

What a pitiful life these Internet control-freaks must have....

Yep, I have run into a few of those
fanatics in various for sale newsgroups.

Some of them make you feel you have
commited the most grievious crime against
mankind for posting an Ebay auction in a
certain for sale newsgroup. They may
be out there but I have yet to find a for
sale newsgroup that specifically prohibited ebay postings in their charters.

I haven't been chewed out for quite awhile
by these nuts, I think many of them are getting tired of fighting a hopeless
battle.
Old October 25th 03, 05:37 AM
SgtDeath

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
.com...
Well, Link, you are posting from Comcast, and you did make a solemn

promise
to to say hateful things about people.

Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the Service,

Customer
Equipment, or the Comcast Equipment to:

(ii) post, store, send, transmit, or disseminate any information or

material
which a reasonable person could deem to be objectionable, offensive,
indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, distressing,
vulgar, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or otherwise
inappropriate, regardless of whether this material or its dissemination is
unlawful;

Sorry, "reasonable person" = frank not included in such a group... spammers
are not reasonable people, they're spammers. Have I ever found link's posts
to be offensive? Hell no - Steve Austin hehehe

Old October 25th 03, 05:41 AM
SgtDeath

Ok, so I snipped all your babble. First, you are completely brain dead since
you can't understand my statement "ebay gives us a venue" You know darned
well what reference that was to... If you don't understand, forget about
you.

Second... Denny's... Please, denny's deserves what they get. Seeya later
spammer, you clearly show that you try to circumvent what anyone says
because of your ignorance. Exactly how spammers say things when interviewed.
Try to sound all intelligent.

Old October 25th 03, 05:43 AM
SgtDeath

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
.com...
"a. linklurker" wrote in message

"Helen Wallace" wrote
wrote:
C. R. Boston muttered something like:
It is not UCE (spam) if you have a prior business relationship
with someone. All anti-spam legislation provides an exemption
for existing customers. If you don't see this difference, you have
been brainwashed by ebay,

You sound like you've been brainwashed by spammers. Just because I
purchase some geegaw from Random Online Store doesn't mean I now want

be inundated with advertising by them, and if they start doing so

I'll
be
blocking mail from their site and never purchasing anything from them
again.
Some people have limited inbox space; some people use e-mail only at

work;
some people just don't want hundreds of ads coming in every day.
Assuming that they are too stupid to know that they want to be signed

up
for an advertising list is not only arrogant on the part of the

sender,
but also discourteous to their would-be customer.
-Bertha

You people seem to have no knowlege of the collectibles market.

You dumb twit: that's a major part of what I sell: collectibles!

Woe to anyone who calls Helen Wallace a dumb twit. She (with her
late husband R.E. "Bob" Wallace) has one of the biggest stamp and coin
businesses
in the U.S.

BULL**** on that. Collector's are savvy: they know how to
set searches on ebay. If one keeps their merchandise visible,
collectors will see it. All one need do is list their items.

More filthy language.

Send copies to

You are an idiot: you are doomed.

link

Wallace Stamps and Coins has been around since 1948, probably
before you were born, since you act like you are about 15.

Trying to nick link on filthy language? I'm sure ISP's would get tired of
you filing false claims. You're a brave soul though to try and tempt fate...
::rubs his magic ball:: it is only time before more of your "customers" file
complaints for spam.

Old October 25th 03, 05:52 AM
Frank Provasek

"SgtDeath" wrote in message
Ok, so I snipped all your babble. First, you are completely brain dead

since
you can't understand my statement "ebay gives us a venue" You know darned
well what reference that was to... If you don't understand, forget about
you.

Second... Denny's... Please, denny's deserves what they get. Seeya later
spammer, you clearly show that you try to circumvent what anyone says
because of your ignorance. Exactly how spammers say things when

interviewed.
Try to sound all intelligent.

I am "all intelligent."
You are the one that can't tell the difference between spam and customer
communication. Start he

http://www.spamlaws.com/

Old October 25th 03, 06:08 AM
Bob Niland

Frank Provasek wrote:

I am "all intelligent."

And NARU, too.
As of 2003-10-24, it would appear.
So what happened?

You are the one that can't tell the
difference between spam and customer
communication.

I've asked before, and it went unanswered.
Why are you trying to convince anyone?

What possible point is there in getting even
one confused a.m.o.e'er to agree with your
spam rationalizations?

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
Old October 25th 03, 08:06 AM
Ken Barr

In article ,
"Frank Provasek" wrote:

"SgtDeath" wrote in message
"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
.com...

[snip]
Since you pay ebay fees, YOU are ebays CUSTOMER.

Hey, first thing you have said that I agree with. But you really need
to learn that the possessive "ebays" needs an apostrophe.

[snip]

One corollary of Murphy's Law is that every Usenet spelling/grammar
flame contains at least one spelling/grammar error of its own ...

[snip]
Now a good way of keeping repeat customers instead of enraging those
that wish to not get your spam is to simple send an email after you
send the item.

No one is engranged except certain people in these newsgroups who never
bought from me and never received my email.

[snip]

"Engranged"??
[Whew! I wuz afraid that we were gonna have an exception to the rule!]

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old October 25th 03, 10:56 AM

Richard Ward wrote:

bob peterson wrote:

Richard Ward wrote in message ...

Bob Peterson wrote:
snip

The only thing that will reduce fees to sellers is some kind of competition
and what little there is right now is pretty pathetic.

The reason that current competition is pretty pathetic is that most of
it is run by someone who thinks that if they open up a site on a shoe
string, and promote it by spamming a bunch of newsgroups, they can
suddenly become real competition for a multibillion dollar company with
a huge advertising budget. Yahoo and Amazon are the exceptions, but
they failed in their bids to become legitimate competitors to eBay years
ago, and the huge losses they incurred on their auction sites have
deterred most big companies from trying to take on eBay. Amazon is
still a major player in the used book market, but their selling method
that's successful, i.e., the marketplace, wouldn't really be workable
for most eBay merchandise.

The real competition to eBay, when it comes, is going to require two
things, a big company with a well known name and a huge advertising
budget, and a new idea. Amazon and Yahoo auctions were big companies
with a well known name and a huge advertising budget, but the only idea
they had was to copy eBay and tinker with the minor details. To take on
eBay, someone's going to have to do something dramatic and innovative,
something that buyers like better than eBay. For a big company to pour
a bunch of money into something like that, investors have to forget
about all the money that Yahoo and Amazon lost in online auctions.

Just what would be dramatic and innovative enough to be worthwhile? I
think an auction site could well survive if it had the deep pockets
and the will to do so. I am amazed that neither amazon nor yahoo ever
seriously promoted their auctions.

They did promote their auctions. At the time they did it, there were
serious questions about whether eBay could survive the competition from
what were at the time much larger and better financed companies, with a
huge web presence. The problem wasn't that they didn't promote them,
the problem was that they didn't attract the buyers.

I don't think any serious tinkering is needed with the auction
formats, in fact even if the rules were the same, just having
competition is a good thing, and would tend to keep fees down.

But there can't be any competition if they don't do something seriously
different. They need to create a reason for buyers to go to their
auction sites rather than to eBay. Copying eBay has been tried by big,
well financed companies. It didn't work. The only way for a site to
compete with eBay is to distinguish itself from eBay in some
dramatically different way, and in a way that is attractive to buyers.
People do this all the time, it's how eBay got started. They had the
advantage then of no competition, so they didn't have to have huge sums
of money to get started. Anyone trying it today will need huge sums of
money, along with the original idea.

The problem I see is that how do you get people - both buyeres and
sellers - to come to your auction site? There has to be some reason
people would want to go there, and the drama and/or innovation issue
should probably be applied to that problem rather than tinkering with
the rules a bit. I doubt any serious player is going to have any
significant difference in their rules versus what ebay's rules are.
ebay's rules are pretty reasonable for the most part, with a few minor
annoyances, but it works pretty well. the big problem is their
continually increasing fees.

I'm not talking about tinkering with the rules, I'm not complaining that
eBay's rules aren't generally reasonable. I think that for someone to
effectively compete with a well funded company that dominates the
market, they will have to have a new concept, different from eBay's
concept, that can be used to sell the same type of merchandise. When
eBay started, the concept of online auctions was a new idea, people
generally sold off of news groups, or sold off of their own web pages
with fixed price sales. Some of those web pages are still successful
despite eBay, because they're different from eBay. To compete against
eBay, someone is going to have to come up with a totally different way
for people to sell their merchandise to end users, that will allow them
to sell the same type of merchandise people sell on eBay.

If someone does not like the fee structure buy some Ebay stock:-))

Hell if there are areas of high risk (laptops?) Ebay might raise their
fees and provide more protection to buyers.

Ebay is partly the result of "Luck beats planning" and partly the result
of "You get lucky by working at it".

A fairly large number of folks do not like Microsoft. Noticed the net
results?

Just my two cents.

LB
I said I didn't know." --Mark Twain
Old October 25th 03, 12:29 PM
MorganCoin1

My
daughter's sales yesterday were higher than mine
have been all month

Kris,
Here are some solutions I can offer if sales are sagging:

1. Find out where your daughter goes and who she hangs with.
2. "Ground" her for a few months on general principles and for her own good.
3. Go buy the stuff she has been selling and list it.

Parenting and eBay... They go well together when the parents stay involved in
their kid's lives.

Seriously, the local auction places charge in the 25% neighborhood here, and
that is some classy neighborhood. Plus, they sell your items cheap to their
freinds, but when a "house owned" item comes up, you can bet that they take
their time, plus (probable shill or non-existent) bids come from people that
you never see... Know what I mean? Also, shoplifting (and other inventory
shrinkage) has not been much of a problem as an eBay seller...

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM