Q: Art stamps on the Internet ??

Old June 16th 05, 08:54 PM
Victor Manta

"loepp" wrote in message
Victor,
I hate to be the barer of bad news but selling a painting and it's
copyright
are separate. Artists retain copyright on art they sell (yes, 70 years
after
they die). Permission to reproduce it in print must be obtained from the
artist
and it is merely professional courtesy that the new owner be notified. I
actually own all copyrights to portraits of the people I paint But it
would be
highly unprofessional to reproduce them without it being a collaborative
effort
or understood by all as in; use in my portfolio, website, advertising,
etc. If
someone wishes to make photos of their portrait to distribute among family
or
whatever, there is no chance that I would say no. In fact I can supply
said
reproductions as photo prints are a big expense each year.
TL

The law is the law, but...

Let's say that I order you a portrait of myself and I pay you for the
result. You paint a portrait where I can be recognized (I know that you can
:-)

- Question No. 1. I publish it on a web site because I have the copyright on
my own image, on any support. How is this compatible with your copyright?

- Question No. 2. Because it's my painting, I can burn it or I can change
it. Let's say that I change it by putting the missing hair on its previous
place and I make myself look younger. Which of both artists ;-) has the
copyright now?

- Question No. 3, and the last one. I scan a stamp from my collection, and I
make some changes (just to mention that already in the scanning process some
dust was recorded and some distortions were done). Who has the copyright?

--
Victor Manta

Old June 16th 05, 10:29 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:49:56 -0400, TC wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:39:37 -0400, wrote:

This is almost like saying:

(Please, nobody take offense here - just a very poignant statement.)

"If a swastika on a web site is made available to a computer in
Israel, then the swastika was a published item in Israel."

Eh? That's TOTALLY ABSURD.

(Return to normalcy now.)

In Mette's case, if the server was in the US, then US publication
rights apply - correct? Who's the Danish publisher? The Danish ISP?

Once again - ABSURD.

So, I take it - that every computer that has anything questionable has
to get permission from EVERY country in order to post their stuff to
the world, otherwise attempt to limit what they post?

Bah, humbug... There are 1000s of site out there like Mette's then.
Maybe not with art, but in the same EXACT BOAT.

[ Display Munch's "Panic" caricature here. Too bad I couldn't post the
binary here - I'd like to see Copy-Dan come after me. ]

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================

Tracy:

The best situation for Mette would be if YOU (a US citizen)
were to put the withdrawn pages up on YOUR website in the USA.

Thus it would be covered by US law and the fair use policy.

Then anyone including Mette, myself, Victor or any of us
could LINK to your page. It would NOT be resident on our websites.

Blair (TC)

That could most definitely be done without much effort. I set up a
folder to use and give Mette rights / access to it. No problem-o!

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 16th 05, 10:29 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:27:09 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:31:11 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

wrote in message

You could always start an off-shore web site that has a lot of hoops
to jump through before the web host is discovered.

Just a thought...

In the USA it would be "fair use", so not absolutely necessary to go
off-shore.

Now how about our images from Spanish Africa (not from SNA), Tracy? What
if
the designers of those stamps are still alive (or some photographs)? ;-)

Ahhh... Exactly my point in my reply to Douglas about Mette's
situation. How absurd would it be for anyone to come after you for
the SNA stuff? Hmmm?

snip

Tracy,

Please don't try to escape your moral responsibilities. ;-)

You made many of scans, as acknowledged on the Spanish Africa site, so we
can count only on Blair to set us free (or, at least, to bring us something
to eat, and to show us from time to time our stockbooks, full of SNA
stamps).

OK, can do. :^)

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 17th 05, 01:14 AM
A.E. Gelat

Yes, Victor, I agree. After looking at all those distorted figures that you
sent, I wonder why anybody would pay even cent for them. I am now bracing
myself for an avalanche of criticism from Mette, yourself and others.

Tony

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
Blair, as I said, I do not own a Picasso, but should I find or inherit
one, you can get it for $50.

Tony

Don't you ask too much, Tony?

http://www.values.ch/Countries/Spain...o/horrible.htm
--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old June 17th 05, 03:10 AM
A.E. Gelat

To all of you who have noticed the triplicate posting. I have no idea what
is causing it. In the past, I have often RECEIVED messages in duplicate,
triplicate and more, but today is the second time that my outgoing messages
are duplicated and triplicate. I hope that this will not continue.

Tony

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
Blair, as I said, I do not own a Picasso, but should I find or inherit
one, you can get it for $50.

Tony

Don't you ask too much, Tony?

http://www.values.ch/Countries/Spain...o/horrible.htm