Can't Somebody Stop This Guy??????

Old February 4th 05, 11:27 PM
Harvey Bastacky

Default Can't Somebody Stop This Guy??????

This guy has been putting up 1879CC Silver plated proof dollars in GSA
look-alike holders and ripping off unsuspecting (and uninformed) collectors
for quite some time.

Can't anybody stop him?????????????????

Old February 4th 05, 11:37 PM
Jeff R.

"Harvey Bastacky" wrote in message
. ..
This guy has been putting up 1879CC Silver plated proof dollars in GSA
look-alike holders and ripping off unsuspecting (and uninformed) collectors
for quite some time.

Can't anybody stop him?????????????????

Geez - I dunno. From his listing, highlighted in blue and italics:

"Now, you have a chance to own this very nice authentic reproduction
as a 100 Mil Pure Silver Proof replicating the U.S. Government's
General Service Administration (GSA). "

**reproduction**
**replicating**

That's pretty plain, and dare I say... "honest".

Should anyone have to protect buyers who are too stupid/ lazy to read the
listing?

There's bigger/ nastier fish.

--
Jeff R.

Old February 4th 05, 11:38 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:27:29 -0500, "Harvey Bastacky"
is alleged to have written:
This guy has been putting up 1879CC Silver plated proof dollars in GSA
look-alike holders and ripping off unsuspecting (and uninformed) collectors
for quite some time.

Can't anybody stop him?????????????????

Other than claiming the mint is Carson City in the description (which
could be an honest mistake), the ad is no worse than most used car
ads. He's overhyping a PoS imo, but he's not really false advertising.

Bruce

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old February 5th 05, 02:17 AM
Shystev99

That's pretty plain, and dare I say... "honest".

Should anyone have to protect buyers who are too stupid/ lazy to read

the
listing?

Jeff R.

I'd have to agree, The seller states they are reproductions and
replicas. And part of the coin hobby requires a certain amount of
personal education on part of the buyers. I realize the argument alot
of anassuming and unaware buyers may not understand what a reproduction
is but that doesn't make it wrong for anyone to sell them.
Could the seller maybe do a better job of showing and describing them?
Sure, They could put the words reproduction or Replica in the title of
the auction. They could also probably make the photo of the coin larger
and show the side that says "Copy" which I think by law all
Reproduction or Replica Coins must have.
My view is anyone who is smart enough to be looking up Carson City
Morgans on Ebay should also be smart enough to ask, Why are these so
cheap in comparison to some other CC Morgans? And if they just stumbled
onto it by running the words "Rare or Rarest" through the Ebay search
engine, Again they have to ask, If it's supposedly so rare why is it so
cheap in comparison?
Steve

Old February 5th 05, 02:50 AM
linxlvr

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:37:29 +1100, Jeff R. wrote:

"Harvey Bastacky" wrote in message
. ..
This guy has been putting up 1879CC Silver plated proof dollars in GSA
look-alike holders and ripping off unsuspecting (and uninformed) collectors
for quite some time.

Can't anybody stop him?????????????????

Geez - I dunno. From his listing, highlighted in blue and italics:

"Now, you have a chance to own this very nice authentic reproduction
as a 100 Mil Pure Silver Proof replicating the U.S. Government's
General Service Administration (GSA). "

**reproduction**
**replicating**

That's pretty plain, and dare I say... "honest".

Should anyone have to protect buyers who are too stupid/ lazy to read the
listing?

There's bigger/ nastier fish.

Yes, there is worse. But that doesn't mean deceptive advertising is fine.
I don't know laws in other places, but I know here in NY it is illegal to
deceive someone through advertising.

Yea, he said reproduction.. in the same sentence as he said authentic.
You also get a certificate of authenticity. It's also "Pure Silver".

Sure, you and I look at that and laugh, along with the 1936 proof set full
page ad in a coins mag where you have to read between the lines to know
it's not the real thing. But is it right? NO. Only an idiot would bid on
it? Probably true. But again, does that make it right?

I would never rise to the occasion to defend someone who tries to take
advantage of someone else. You defend him as much as you like though,
it's a free world.

--
DW

Old February 5th 05, 03:09 AM
Shystev99

I would never rise to the occasion to defend someone who tries to

take
advantage of someone else. You defend him as much as you like though,
it's a free world.

--
DW

I don't even know that I'd call it defending him as pointing out the
obvious fact that people have to read the description and understand
what it is they are bidding on before they bid. Or they have no
business bidding. It's got nothing to do with defending him. I don't
know him so I can't defend or attack him.

But at some point people have to use simple common sense, An analogy
could be the election system. Year in and Year out we see problem after
problem with ballots, Now vast majority of these problems aren't caused
or created by the system but caused by the people who are to stupid or
lazy to understand what they are doing enough to take the time to do it
right. All the directions are there, If you need help you just ask the
election workers and they will help you. But people don't do that, They
don't read the directions, They don't know how to vote properly and
they don't bother asking for help, then when their ballots gets tossed
out or doesn't count it's everybody else's fault BUT theirs. We
wouldn't have problems with dimpled chads, hanging chads, pregnant
chads or any other kind of friggin chad if people just took the
additional time to check and doublecheck their ballot and their votes
before they turn it in. What's it take an additional 30 seconds maybe a
minute tops? You just pull your card out, run your finger over the back
clearing all the chads, pop it back in the slot and doublecheck your
votes 1 by 1.
But it's just a whole lot easier not to do it and blame society and
especially Bush. If people are yo stupid or lazy to read the directions
and understand exactly what they are doing is that the whole nations
problem or theirs?
In this case all the facts are there, You just got to take the time to
read what's there. Hell, I'd be more than willing to bet if you took
the time to e-mail the seller and ask flat out "Is this coin Real or a
Copy" He'd tell you flat out it's a copy.
If your not responsible enough to do that then you have no business
even bidding on ebay. Some people buy Coins that are Copies and
Reproductions, I saw someone a few weeks ago selling "Puerto Rico State
Quarters" They are also copies.
Steve

Old February 5th 05, 03:38 AM
James Higby

"linxlvr" wrote in message
news
Yes, there is worse. But that doesn't mean deceptive advertising is fine.
I don't know laws in other places, but I know here in NY it is illegal to
deceive someone through advertising.

If the advertising in NY is anything like we see in the other 49 states,
your jails must be just bursting at the seams!

James

Old February 5th 05, 03:59 AM
Bruce Remick

Jeff R. wrote:
"Harvey Bastacky" wrote in message
. ..
This guy has been putting up 1879CC Silver plated proof dollars in
GSA look-alike holders and ripping off unsuspecting (and uninformed)
collectors for quite some time.

Can't anybody stop him?????????????????

Geez - I dunno. From his listing, highlighted in blue and italics:

"Now, you have a chance to own this very nice authentic
reproduction as a 100 Mil Pure Silver Proof replicating the U.S.
Government's General Service Administration (GSA). "

**reproduction**
**replicating**

That's pretty plain, and dare I say... "honest".

Should anyone have to protect buyers who are too stupid/ lazy to read
the listing?

There's bigger/ nastier fish.

I agree. This auction is no different from the TV ads. It is clearly
stated that this is a reproduction and "replication". The one thing that I
hate to see is that "100 mil .999 pure silver proof" wording. This kind of
language is obviously designed to imply to non-numismatists that,
reproduction or not, this is a .999 silver coin. A simple "Silver plated"
would be much more truthful and informative, but certainly would not attract
as many potential buyers.

Unlike unavoidable TV commercials, anyone landing on this auction site would
most likely have been searching for coin-related auctions. Once there, even
if they are uninformed, they are responsible for any bid decisions they
make.

Bruce

Old February 5th 05, 04:34 AM
Shystev99

[...]

I agree with you that the wording of the .999 Silver coin MAY sound
deceptive but my next question would be, Is the coin solid silver or is
it plated. As far as I know there is no law against selling pure silver
coins even if they are advertised as copies or replicas. The Franklin
Mint used to mint .999 silver coins all the time when they were in
business back in the 70's. Now these coins weren't all replicas of
actual coins but still I don't think anybody selling silver in bar form
or coin form is illegal.....Is it? (I'm not talking about deliberate
counterfit coins designed to circulate and fool consumers, I mean coins
that are advertised as copies or replicas)
Now if the coins are infact plated then....Absolutley it's unethical
and wrong.

But if everybody feels so passionatley about this then there are
options, Some of you suggest stopping the seller. Well that won't solve
the overall problem. The better solution would be for us to get
together as a group (Which we are) write up some proposal that would
make it illegal for any mint to mint their coins in the form of any US
minted coin throughout the history of the mint. Meaning reproductions,
copies, replicas or any other slick wording of any pre existing coin
would be banned altogtether. We then submit that proposal to a local
congressman, Or numerous congressmen and see where they can take it. To
give it somekind of backbone we can also create a petition that
collectors, reputable dealers, US Mint officials, or anyone else
interested could sign. We could find reputable dealers (Many which are
in this group) to maybe help get the word out about this law or bill on
their websites, Coin shows, storefronts etc... Now some of you may
laugh at this idea, Hell I'm laughing at it a little bit myself. But
when you think about it with the coin market the way it is and with it
as popular as it is some senators and congressmen might actually bite
at it. Now would it happen overnight? No It will be a long drawn out
process that would be very frustrating and tedious at times. But again
if you guys are truly as passionate as you sound I say it's something
we should atleast think about. And any collectors here outside of the
US can hopefully seek the same kind of option in their countries.
Point being, If we make these reproductions, copies and replicas of
EXISTING OR HISTORICAL U.S. AND GLOBAL LEGAL TENDER then ebay or any
other auction site would have to enforce and restrict not having it
sold on their sites.

If you truly want to stop it you have to goto the source, Not the
sellers.
Steve

Help Stop Ebay Fraud arizona Coins 6 January 6th 05 01:05 AM
Make it stop! Make it stop! Bob Flaminio Coins 15 September 3rd 04 01:45 AM
Man United stop shirt signings larry70dj Autographs 3 April 10th 04 02:10 PM
Shur Stop Fire Grenades coolcollecting General 1 October 14th 03 01:57 PM