Stamp Errors

Old March 19th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

Default Stamp Errors

Greetings,

What are the guidelines that all stamp collectors/dealers
go by to determine if a stamp has a error?

For example, the famous Jenny stamp that is upside down.
Would this be considered an error?
If not, what is proper term for it?

Old March 20th 10, 08:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Mar 20, 5:00*am, "phantomm_1" wrote:
Greetings,

What are the guidelines that all stamp collectors/dealers
go by to determine if a stamp has a error?

For example, the famous Jenny stamp that is upside down.
Would this be considered an error?
If not, what is proper term for it?

Yes, it is an error. Many collectors get themselves in a knot over
the terms 'error', 'flaw' and 'variety'. An error is ... well, an
error - a mistake, like the Inverted Jenny, or this slightly less
famous Charkhari 1931 5 Rupees (SG 53a - no idea what the Scott No.
is; Scott is most useful for toilet paper as far as the Indian States
are concerned)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...lock600dpi.jpg

There are other sorts of errors as well. Overprints inverted, for
example, like this from Bhopal (1935 surcharge One Anna on 2 Annas, SG
O327a)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...al/SGO327a.jpg

There are perforation errors, like this example missing the vertical
columns of perforations from Cochin (1949 2 Anna pictorial, SG 117):

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...hin/SG117a.jpg

And there are more unusual sorts of errors, like this 1908 Bhopal
stamp, printed on both sides (SG 100a):

Front: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ont1200dpi.jpg

and back: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ack1200dpi.jpg

All these were mistakes made by the printer, which shouldn't have
escaped the printing works.

Then there are flaws - which are, well, flaws in the printing plate:
not mistakes, but damage that has occurred, and hasn't been repaired.
Here are some examples from one position on the printing plate of the
¼ Anna Rana Ranjitsingh stamp of Barwani, my favourite 'country'.
First, damage to the bottom of the value tablet:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...etflaw-SG1.jpg

Then a gash from the portrait into the floral ornaments

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...onflaw-SG5.jpg

(This is what the whole stamp looks like:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...heet600dpi.jpg)

Finally, there are varieties - variations from the basic stamp. The
variation can be of perforation, as in this case:

1923 ¼ Anna rose of Barwani, perf 12, SG 18:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...18cblock-1.jpg

and the variety of the same stamp, perf 7 (SG 18d):
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/SG18d-1.jpg

And the variety can be a different type of paper. The ¼ Anna stamps
above were normally printed on laid paper, but there is a scarce
variety printed on wove paper, and also perf 7, SG 18da:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...i/SG18da-1.jpg

Hope this has made things a little clearer, and perhaps shown you
another use for Scott

Tony

Old March 21st 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...hari/SG52binbl...

Front: *http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...l/SG100afront1...

and back: *http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...l/SG100aback12...

All these were mistakes made by the printer, which shouldn't have
escaped the printing works.

Then there are flaws - which are, well, flaws in the printing plate:
not mistakes, but damage that has occurred, and hasn't been repaired.
Here are some examples from one position on the printing plate of the
¼ Anna Rana Ranjitsingh stamp of Barwani, my favourite 'country'.
First, damage to the bottom of the value tablet:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/Cliche1topv...

Then a gash from the portrait into the floral ornaments

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/Cliche1topm...

(This is what the whole stamp looks like:http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/RSQuarterAn...)

1923 ¼ Anna rose of Barwani, perf 12, SG 18:http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/SG18cblock-...

and the variety of the same stamp, perf 7 (SG 18d):http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/SG18d-1.jpg

And the variety can be a different type of paper. *The ¼ Anna stamps
above were normally printed on laid paper, but there is a scarce
variety printed on wove paper, and also perf 7, SG 18da:http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...i/SG18da-1.jpg

Hope this has made things a little clearer, and perhaps shown you
another use for Scott

Tony

Good show Tony or the clarification.
Do you have a catalog of US Errors?
I have a Scott 3070 Tennessee double error book pane.
I bought it for postage and when I went to use the first stamp it did
not lift right.
The perforations were all shifted and one row had no perforations at
all.
I sent it to Scott, they verified it as genuine. I already knew that
since I bought it from mthe post office.
I have not seen it mentioned anywhere. Scott did print an article
about it.

Ralph
Old March 21st 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Ralph, but my world extends only to the Indian States. For me,
the music died in 1951.

Tony