Replicas vs. forgeries

Old April 4th 04, 04:16 AM
Coin Saver

TWIMC:

It is understandable that someone who has spent a lot of time, money and effort
in obtaining / retaining certain types of items will defend them, and their
right of ownership; even though they may have been identified as items which
are not allowed legally to be owned.

For example; I myself have been a long time in hunting a counterfeit 1943 lead
cent, as many RCC regulars know. If I ever did get one, I might also try to
misquote the bill of rights to favor my position, to justify ownership.

Actually, I'm more likely to shut up about having gotten one (if I ever did),
to the point of making sure I still ask on the board if anyone happens to come
across one, just so the SecServ don't think I did get one yet due my lack of
asking.

BTW, if anyone *does* happen to have one laying around that they don't want ...

8-]
Coin Saver
Old April 4th 04, 04:52 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Coin Saver wrote:

[...]

Can be made to order in Bulgaria. I know a guy who claims to know a guy
who's from the hometown of THE guy.

Alan
'shhhh'
Old April 4th 04, 05:16 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:52:40 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

Coin Saver wrote:

[...]

Heck, you can make one yourself. Just be sure to stamp copy into one side
:-)

Old April 4th 04, 03:16 PM
note.boy

GIVE IT A REST.

You need to get out more. BILLY

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

There's been some pretty heated, and confused, discussion here lately
over the difference between coin replicas and counterfeits. The
simplistic answer is that a replica is marked as such with "COPY" or a
similar countermark. But this would be incorrect.

The U.S. Hobby Protection Act mandates that all coin replicas made
today be countermarked in large enough letters on the obverse or
reverse, but people in other countries are under no obligation to obey
U.S. laws. And replica makers in this country, most notably Peter
Rosa, have flouted this law as well (it has never been enforced with
regard to ancient coins, according to Wayne Sayles and others),
feeling that countermarking defaces the piece and detracts from its
aesthetic value. On the other hand, by not countermarking a replica,
you make it easier for the bad guys to try to pass it off as an
authentic coin, though "real" counterfeits passed off as genuine coins
are a far greater problem that replicas passed off as genuine coins.

The real difference between replicas and counterfeits is the intent of
the maker to deceive or not. The replicas of the Bulgarian Slavey
Petrov, for instance, are clearly recognized as replicas, even those
of his that aren't countermarked, by virtually everybody who has
collected coins for any period of time. Among other things, the fields
are too flat, and the styling is too flamboyant. His pieces are
created with a hydraulic press, not struck with a hammer. They're
works of art, made to pay homage to coins struck by the ancients, not
attempts to pass themselves off as ancient coins.

I have a page that illustrates the differences between several
different kinds of "pseudonumia," using the face of Medusa:

http://rg.ancients.info/medusa/replicas.html

The two replicas are clearly replicas, most notably having
unrealistically flat fields. Both replicas are marked, though the
Slavey is marked on the edge and is thus in violation of U.S. law
(again, never enforced with regard to ancient coin replicas). The
forgery is clearly different from the replicas, was clearly created to
deceive, and is quite deceptive and dangerous. The token is a fun,
interesting piece of exonumia.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Old April 4th 04, 03:37 PM
PCameron

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message

Can be made to order in Bulgaria. I know a guy who claims to know a guy
who's from the hometown of THE guy.

His second cousin's (twice removed on the father's side) former roommate's
sister's boyfriend's uncle lives on my block :-)

Old April 4th 04, 06:05 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:08:37 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

You aren't going to show a photo of the plastic gas station token you
mistook for an ancient coin, are you?

Your 96th lie. Something like that. Incredibly pathetic, what you are,
what you're doing here, pure disruption, pure evil.

This gas station token I bought, inexpensively -- a great find -- as a
token and have it displayed -- proudly -- at this Web page:

http://rg.ancients.info/medusa/replicas.html

It's a very cool piece of exonumia.

Old April 4th 04, 06:06 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 05:49:04 GMT, Leo M. Cavanaugh III
wrote:

"It's a common misunderstanding that whizzing primarily involves abrading metal.
Some metal gets abraded, but the primary mechanism is moving metal from one spot
to another on a coin's surface."
-- Solipsic Reid redefines the word "whizzing" as itself.

This is how PCGS defines it!

Another idiot resurfaces. Mark lied that I made up this definition. He
had nothing to base this on. He hadn't done any research, hadn't even
Googled the term, obviously hadn't looked at the single most
referenced book in numismatics about this and related subjects, PCGS's
Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection.

And now, after all the discussion here about this, you jump in and say
that I've redefined whizzing. You people deserve each other.

Old April 4th 04, 06:12 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 10:41:07 -0800, Scot Kamins
wrote:

Well, that's all fine, Alan, but what purpose does it all serve? How
does the continued animosity and bickering help anyone?

What the insane asylum inmates have done once again is destroy this
thread. There's no longer any intelligent, subject-related
conversation going on. A handful of them -- Alan Williams, Phil
DeMayo, A.Gent, Mark are the current worst offenders -- do it
virtually every time. It's sheer destruction, done for no other
purpose than to destroy. This thread is destroyed, a sewer of idiotic
bickering and animosity.

Take a look at other threads in the past. Same junk. Watch them do it
again in the future. Same junk. Losers who live for this junk. Still,
despite their idiocy, some intelligent and constructive conversation
manages to go on. And that, no doubt, really ****ses them off.

Old April 4th 04, 06:42 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

wrote:

You aren't going to show a photo of the plastic gas station token you
mistook for an ancient coin, are you?

Your 96th lie. Something like that. Incredibly pathetic, what you are,
what you're doing here, pure disruption, pure evil.

This gas station token I bought, inexpensively -- a great find -- as a
token and have it displayed -- proudly -- at this Web page:

http://rg.ancients.info/medusa/replicas.html

It's a very cool piece of exonumia.

Please, then, pretty please with sugar on it, explain how you can image
and host your plastic gas station token and not the recent 'In the Style
of Slavey' replica/counterfeit/bogo/fake/glomworthy exonumia ?

Alan
'only wants an answer'