#@$%!

Old February 13th 04, 11:38 PM
DFloyd

"The Fausts" wrote in news:Sd8Xb.2231
:

My entire coin collection was stolen yesterday!

Oh Man, that sucks.
My condolences.
Old February 13th 04, 11:53 PM
bri

"The Fausts" wrote in message
.com...
My entire coin collection was stolen yesterday! Someone just kicked in the
front door (in clear line of sight of several other houses) in broad
daylight and had a little shopping spree in my house. Things could have

been
worse since they avoided anything bulky or heavy, but they found the
collection and took every last coin. 25 years of collecting gone. It's

hard
to tell whether they knew the collection was here, or just got lucky. I

live
in a small town with little crime (the police were surprised to see this
happen) and I was complacent about security. The collection wasn't even
insured.

If any Michigan dealers are reading this, please contact me for a list of
what was taken.

I will be in a foul mood for a while, so forgive me if I do any
uncharacteristic flaming. ;(

Eric

I had some $$$ stuff taken a few years back. No coins but one of the items
was a really nice Harmon Kardon amplifier--I STILL just gnash my teeth and
hope that whoever took that will get long steaming hot spikes driven thru
their ankles!
If you have any kind of collectible usually you have to list that with your
house insurance to collect. I do know some people who had some collectible
things taken where they didn't list those beforehand. The insurance company
he had payed for the--ahem--furnishings--(wink wink) that were stolen. I
would never do that though--I'd be too chicken to try that.
The worst part of it is you just feel so violated by the event and you will
lose a lot of trust in some of the people you know. Usually that kind of
theft is a friend of a friend blabbing their mouths about some guy they know
with a big stash of valuble coins. Really unfortunate--hope you get it back
or that they find whoever did that to you. It's also a good bet it's some
local punks in your area--that's real common.
HTH

Old February 14th 04, 12:21 AM
Michael R

"The Fausts" wrote in message
[...]

Very bad news and sorry to hear that. If you have any unusual pieces to
describe, maybe we can all be on the lookout.

--
Michael R
ANA #173222

Old February 14th 04, 12:39 AM
phil

I'm sorry to hear about it,Eric.I hope you can recover your whole
collection,and the people responsible are caught and punished.
phil

Old February 14th 04, 01:00 AM
The Fausts

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message
Eric;
Sorry to hear of your loss, I cannot imagine what this must feel like.

BTW
your foul mood is perfectly understandable given the circumstances. I

think
I would not be #@$%!in, but probably spelling it out in plain English.

I have been afraid of this for a long time, recently I have been putting
more and more in the safe deposit boxes, they were hard to find where I
live, but recently there seem to be more of them. While it is not a
guarantee of security, it is far better than your home. You can deduct

the
cost of at least one safe deposit box from your taxes, plus you might

check
with your insurance company in the future, if you have your stuff in a

safe
deposit box they might give you a discount on your insurance.

What part of Michigan are you in? I am in the Tri-Cities and can pass on
the word here if you like.

Dave

Looking at things from a tax standpoint, you can also deduct losses from
theft. That will help more than my insurance will, I believe their limit
on coins without a rider is $200 or something ridiculous like that. I'll
just base the value of my collection on Littleton's prices, they're a
nationally respected dealer, right?

I'm in the northern Metro Detroit area. I'll try sending you a list of what
I lost by e-mail.

Eric

Old February 14th 04, 01:17 AM
The Fausts

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
Oh, gosh. That's why I always keep my stuff in a safe deposit vault. I'm

in
Ohio, just down I75 from you. If you email me a list, I'll get it to the

local
dealers ASAP.

Bruce

I'm mailing the list to you Bruce, thanks!

Eric

Old February 14th 04, 01:19 AM
Oregon

I bought a new computer last year, and about a week later, some butt-wipe
kicked open my front door (middle of the day, with neighbors home) and
walked away with it. I keep an inventory of my coins, and I was concerned
that whoever winds up with my machine will read that file, and come back for
more. Forced me to move most of my coins off-site, which bites.
I can think of nothing that would give me more pleasure than to find this
person. The goods can be replaced, but that feeling of violation doesn't
soon go away. What a miserable world we live in.
O.

Old February 14th 04, 02:08 AM
The Fausts

"Gary Loveless" wrote in message

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! My condolences.........hope the creep who stole your
coins and other stuff gets caught!!!! Were you just coming home from
work or something?? Hint: get a lock box, not being sarcastic, just
trying to help.....

Regards,

Gary Loveless

Thanks Gary. My neighbors saw the front door wide open after it was over and
called the police. Coincidentally, I was coming home early from work to take
a cat to the vet, but not early enough. I know I could have locked the
collection away, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I still don't
regret that, actually. Half the joy of the collection for me was in its
accessibility. What I really should have done was get an alarm system. I
will now.

Eric

Old February 14th 04, 02:09 AM
The Fausts

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
The only place a coin collection should be kept is in safety deposit
boxes at your local bank. My local bank gives out discounts on the
safety deposit boxes if you rent out 10 or more boxes.

Driving to the bank to visit them in a steel box sounds about as fun as
having them stolen.

Eric

Old February 14th 04, 02:10 AM
The Fausts

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
Oh, my God, Eric! That's horrible!

I couldn't imagine how ****ed I'd be if that were to happen to me, and
my collection isn't really very large at all. Twenty Five years of
collecting - you must have had a really nice lot of coins.

I'm sorry for your loss.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Thanks. Well, from my point of view I had a lot of nice coins. It's all
relative, right? I actually still get some pleasure from looking at the few
coins I had scans of.

Eric