Proposed Mint Medals

Old December 5th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Proposed Mint Medals

Looking with curiosity at the design proposals shown in coin newspapers
for some of the upcoming US Mint medals, it makes me nostalgic for the
earlier days of classic sculptors and medalists. These proposed designs
apparently are what we must expect when we encourage artists to "modernize"
our coin and medal designs. They remind me more of the type of results we
so often see when the works of modern sculptors appear in city plazas or
other public places. There must be an acceptable middle ground between the
soldier on horseback and someone's interpretation of "enlightened Liberty
contemplating breakfast".

The proposed Paulson medal does capture his likeness on the obverse, but
the composition looks more like a campaign button than a commemorative
medal. The reverse conglomeration is totally ridiculous, as most critics
have pointed out. Almost state quarter-like, but worse. And I don't see
what the large peregrine falcon on the reverse has to do with his job as
Treasury Secretary, except that he has been an advocate for its protection.
It's lucky he wasn't as enthusiastic about whales.

The medal for Mint Director Edmund Moy looks like a somber memorial to
his death rather than a celebration of his accomplishments. That partial
off-the-edge profile seems to be the "in" thing nowadays among coin and
medal designers. Doesn't work for me, but then I've been out of the fine
arts mainstream for almost fifty years. Showing my age, the image reminded
me right away of the 1950's TV character, Michael Anthony (Marvin Miller),
who gave away money each week on the "Millionaire". Coincidence, I'm sure.
Most everyone looks like someone else somewhere. The reverse features a
torch. Period. And some Latin. Most unfamiliar with Moy would have no
idea what this medal represents or why he is featured on it.

The proposed medal for Tony Blair reportedly was criticized heavily by
the all-knowing Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) members for its design
("cheezy") and because they felt the portrait did not look like him. I
don't really have an opinion one way or another on this one. It sorta looks
like him-- as much as portraits on other medals resemble their namesake--
but the design doesn't appear to be anything special, unless the minted
version were in high relief. The reverse looks like a stock design in which
one could insert one's own words.

I could probably come up with better designs (in my own mind). But if I
were ever to be featured on a medal of this type, I would hope the design
would be similar to some of the detailed medallic efforts produced in the
18th and 19th century. Copper or bronze would be fine. No need for silver
or gold. Just a faithful portrait on the obverse and a beer can on the
reverse.

Old December 6th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
j-rod

Bruce Remick wrote:

[...]

I am of the opinion that the digital age is responsible for this.

Coins are designed on a computer screen these day and they look like it.
Just a bunch of clip art rendered with no idea how it translates into
the relief on a coin.

JAM
Old December 6th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
longnine009

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

The proposed Paulson medal does capture his likeness on the obverse,

but
the composition looks more like a campaign button than a commemorative
medal. The reverse conglomeration is totally ridiculous, as most critics
have pointed out. Almost state quarter-like, but worse. And I don't see
what the large peregrine falcon on the reverse has to do with his job as
Treasury Secretary, except that he has been an advocate for its

protection.
It's lucky he wasn't as enthusiastic about whales.

He's very enthusiastic about whales--SAVE THE A.I.Gs

*************************************
CEO "talent" can easily be out-sourced to
pick-pockets street-walkers or an empty bottle
of MD20/20.
**************************************

Old December 7th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Longnine009" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

The proposed Paulson medal does capture his likeness on the obverse,

but
the composition looks more like a campaign button than a commemorative
medal. The reverse conglomeration is totally ridiculous, as most critics
have pointed out. Almost state quarter-like, but worse. And I don't see
what the large peregrine falcon on the reverse has to do with his job as
Treasury Secretary, except that he has been an advocate for its

protection.
It's lucky he wasn't as enthusiastic about whales.

He's very enthusiastic about whales--SAVE THE A.I.Gs

You're right there. Maybe that "campaign button" look to his medal isn't
just a design coincidence.

Old December 7th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
longnine009

[...]

That would make a good satire medal. Paulson's mug on the obverse and
wallstreet on the reverse: SAVE THE WHALES. Seems surpirsing that
no one is producing some kind of satire medal for all this crap. I spent
about
an hour looking last week and found nothing, except some blog from some
one who thought they should give him the Medal of Honor.