eBay problem - what should I do?

Old August 23rd 03, 10:02 PM
Bob Harper

Default eBay problem - what should I do?

Hello Folks.
I bought an item on eBay the item number is 2937154786 on July 2nd. I paid
the seller via PayPal immediately and did not hear anything from them so
after waiting a couple of weeks I e mailed them quoting the invoice number
and I received a reply stating that they were sorry that they had run out of
stock but were getting more and will e mail me when the lot was to be
posted.
Another 10 days passed by and I e mailed again stating that I was reluctant
to leave negative feedback but I was starting to feel that I should and I
asked them to fulfil our contract by return.
The reply I got said simply "Would you like us to send a different item, we
will be happy to do so" - I have not yet replied.
Questions in my mind a Why put the item up for sale if you do not possess
it?
Why simply ignore your customer? I had to enquire of these people each time
and they have never volunteered any information to me.
Do our American friends know who these 'Neoteric' people are? they have a
reputation, good or bad? and are they U.S. Based with a 'to' suffix on the
web address?
Finally, I feel that I should complain to eBay - has anyone done so and do
they respond?
Your opinions would be much appreciated. (OK there are a LOT of negatives
in the feedback but the Positives outweigh them - I shall learn from this!)
Bob

Old August 24th 03, 12:05 AM
Bob Harper

Thanks, David I had not thought of the PayPal route. I will keep that as a
'Just in case'.
Bob

"David F." wrote in message
[...]

It does sound suspicious, but I have come across this situation before,

and
found that they do (eventually) come up with the goods!

I do agree that the goods being auctioned should actually exist at the

time
they are 'offered', but sometimes the sellers are dealers, with large

stocks
to shift - and we all make mistakes! It IS a pain to wait for a long

period to
get the goods, but it depends how much you want them!

Ebay on the whole, do NOT respond very well to reports or complaints, as
far as I am concerned, and it is better to keep up a dialogue with the

seller,
I think. PayPal are probably a better 'bet' if you do feel the need to

complain
about not receiving the goods that have been paid for!

Regards,

David.

Old August 24th 03, 12:57 AM
Bob Ingraham

snippity snip snip (Plagiarized from Mark Dyck)

Finally, I feel that I should complain to eBay - has anyone done so and do
they respond?
Your opinions would be much appreciated. (OK there are a LOT of negatives
in the feedback but the Positives outweigh them - I shall learn from this!)
Bob

snippity snip snip

Ebay on the whole, do NOT respond very well to reports or complaints, as
far as I am concerned, and it is better to keep up a dialogue with the seller,
I think. PayPal are probably a better 'bet' if you do feel the need to
complain
about not receiving the goods that have been paid for!

Regards,

David.

Since PayPal is an eBay company, you may not get much satisfaction there
either. However, since you have to use a credit card with PayPal, how about
complaining to the credit card company?

Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to cut the dealer too much slack. A good
dealer wouldn't handle business in such a shoddy way. They probably deserve
the negative feedback that Bob mentioned.

Bob Ingraham

-------
FREE STAMPS FOR BEGINNING COLLECTORS: A generous collector in New York State
will send free stamps for nothing more than a request by snail mail. No
strings attached. Learn the details at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/freestamps.html.
-------

Old August 24th 03, 02:54 PM
Edwin Chan

I think Daivd is lucky, at least someone talk to him.

I won the bid at ebay and I received no e-mail from the seller, that's fine,
I paid through paypal and sent an e-mail to the seller.

Few days ago, I received the stamps and I found that the quality of the
stamps are totally unacceptable, hence, I sent an e-mail for requesting
refund. Right now, there is still no respond.

The advertisement only stated that the stamps are used stamps and mentioned
nothing more than that. There are two stamps, one of which is hinged and
the "tooth" at right hand corner was folded (perforation, I don't know how
to express in english precisely) , and the face of both stamps were stained
by transparent material (the stain can be visualized under the light).

The seller lives in Australia and I live in Hong Kong, and the price
including the postage is USD5.00 approximately.

I'm quite unhappy and I don't know how to deal with this, I think I can't
get my money back and I don't want to give him/her a negative comment as
he/she will revenge and leave a negative comment to me (I had made less than
10 transacation through ebay so I don't want receive a negative comment).

Just few dollars, but it is really frustrated.

Edwin Chan

Old August 24th 03, 05:36 PM
Shell91

I have dealt with these people before (at least I think it's the same ones).
Eventually you will get your stamps. First time I bought from them I get my
stamps within a reasonable amount of time. Second time it took over a month
because they were "out of stock". I do not buy from them anymore. I keep a
small list of people I won't buy from.

Shell

Old August 24th 03, 08:04 PM
Dave Kent

I had a problem with eBay one time (although of a different nature), and after
several frustrating exchanges of my meaningful e-mails for their autoresponder
canned messages, I sent them a real letter by snail mail (you can find their
mailing address if you dig around enough on the site). It brought an immediate
response and solution to the problem! Apparently they are really impressed by a
paper message. You might try it (PayPal is owned by eBay now).
Old August 25th 03, 01:52 PM
Scott

Unfortunately, you only have 30 days from date of payment to file a
complaint with PayPal.

Old August 26th 03, 03:16 PM
David F.

I have dealt with these people before (at least I think it's the same ones).
Eventually you will get your stamps. First time I bought from them I get my
stamps within a reasonable amount of time. Second time it took over a month
because they were "out of stock". I do not buy from them anymore. I keep a
small list of people I won't buy from.

Shell

As long at it is a small list - there's still hope!

David.

Old August 26th 03, 03:18 PM
David F.

I had a problem with eBay one time (although of a different nature), and after
several frustrating exchanges of my meaningful e-mails for their autoresponder
canned messages, I sent them a real letter by snail mail (you can find their
mailing address if you dig around enough on the site). It brought an immediate
response and solution to the problem! Apparently they are really impressed by a
paper message. You might try it (PayPal is owned by eBay now).

Snail Mail eh?? Now where's my old Post Office Manual.....

David. (what's a pen?)