User ID Kept Private ??

Old January 29th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default User ID Kept Private ??

Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

--
"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends
respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

John Wayne

Old January 29th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jim Higgins" wrote in message
Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

Some people just want more privacy than others. If the feedback is very
good, the seller is probably just protecting the bidders. If the feedback is
poor, he is probably trying to prevent auction interference and examination
of feedback.

I don't like to deal with private feedback people. I don't do the auctions
and I wish eBay would let us block them from bidding.

I also don't like to deal with people who won't put their addresses into
PayPal, or bid on eBay using fictitious personal information. There is a lot
of paranoia out there. I send things, but I am very uncomfortable with it.

Anita

Old January 29th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jim Higgins wrote:

Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

--
"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends
respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

John Wayne

Prevent rcc members from contacting them and telling them they're
bidding on something dubious? I dunno.
Old January 29th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jim Higgins wrote:

Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

I have only heard one reason for keeping bidders ID's unlisted that
holds any water with me. If you are dealing with relatively rare or
specialized markets, where the number of serious bidders is small and
likely well-known to each other, private bidders prevent stalking and
shadow-bidding by rivals.

Alan
'is not of that ilk'
Old January 29th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:29:15 -0500, "Jim Higgins"
wrote:

Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

No.

The vast majority of eBay scam auctions are private/secret auctions
like this. Scammers create these to prevent others from tipping
bidders off that they're about to be scammed. eBay permits private
auctions but threatens those tipping bidders off with penalties for
"auction interference." This is the single biggest reason eBay is the
biggest outlet for counterfeiters and other scammers in the world.

eBay allows this because some sellers demand it. Sellers provide eBay
with its revenues. It thus cares a great deal about sellers and about
attracting new buyers but very little about protecting buyers. The
entire business model is skewed.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old January 29th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jim Higgins" wrote in message
Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

One reason I was given when I asked a seller why they had kept the bidders
private was that because he sold high dollar items, he kept the sellers id
private so know one would know where to look for these people with high
dollar items. I don't know if you still can, but at one time one could ask
for people's private info like their address and phone number and get it. I
took it as a valid reason for keeping people's ID's private.

While I have never run an auction where I kept user ID's private, but I
could see reasons for it on high dollar auctions. Before reading it in
this group, I had never thought about private auctions being anything
untoward. I guess now I need to rethink the situation. I was unaware
people did it for nefarious reasons.

Jonathan_ATC

Old January 29th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Only sellers could ask for contact information on eBay and also winning
buyers of that specific closed auction. Now, contact information such
as town and phone no. are not given, but eBay sends an e-mail to seller
or vice-versa askig one to contact the other. At least, that's the way
it was. Now, when there's a winning bidder, the buyer's address is
given automatically by eBay to seller only.

So, as I see it, there really isn't a valid reason to keep the IDs
private unless a fraudulent auction is underway.

Ira

Old January 29th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jonathan_ATC" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

One of those nefarious reasons is that it allows sellers to hide their shills.

jim menning

Old January 30th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

Is there some reasonably valid for keeping bidders ID unlisted? Just
curious.

No.

Again, as ever, life just ain't so simple.

The "private ID" is certainly a red flag, but there are are a number of sets
of circumstances where this practice is justified. One of them is to
prevent bidders being deluged with "offers" to supply "similar" or "better"
itens at a better price. This happens frequently in the
antique/collectibles categories. Not so sure about coins.

....of course, Mr "Black-and-White" will probably disagree...

--
Jeff R.
(at which I am mortified)

Old January 30th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:33:57 +1100, "Jeff R"
wrote:

Again, as ever, life just ain't so simple.

The "private ID" is certainly a red flag, but there are are a number of sets
of circumstances where this practice is justified. One of them is to
prevent bidders being deluged with "offers" to supply "similar" or "better"
itens at a better price. This happens frequently in the
antique/collectibles categories. Not so sure about coins.

...of course, Mr "Black-and-White" will probably disagree...

What are you talking about, black and white? I've argued here many,
many times that issues usually aren't simple matters of black and
white. In this case, the harm done by the existence of private
auctions greatly outweighs the good done. The bad: Untold numbers of
people have been scammed. The good: People aren't "deluged" with
offers through eBay. Please. There's no comparison. The latter isn't
even any kind of semi-serious problem. Who are all these people
deluged with these offers? I've bought many pricey coins on eBay and
I've gotten maybe two such offers. Quite a deluge. Maybe your were
just making that up, as a theoretical example, you know, speaking
rhetorically? Smart, as usual.