Most faked US coin of the 20th century.

Old August 17th 03, 10:50 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Fred wrote:

By the way...it was actually someone in my coin club that figured out they
were counterfiet and reported it to the authorities. HOW?

The Counterfieter used a 1944 war nickel as his model and NEVER placed the
mint mark over the dome of Monticello!!!!! (que ftecaw) DUMBASS!!

LOL!!

fred
"smarter than the average counterfieter"

It was originally reported as an error or new variety. ;-)

Alan
'dies in the rivermud'

Old August 18th 03, 03:25 AM
Ken Barr

In article , "Fred"
wrote:

[snip]
In the discussion, they brought up counterfiet coins and the guy who
did
that counterfieting of the nickels lived in my area. It is also said
that
he dumped bags and bags of these counterfieit nickels into the well
known
Cooper River (which was right up the street)to escape getting caught
with
them. The secret service said that no one that they knew of had ever
went
in search of these bags of nickels in the river. Also, The secret
service
agents do not believe that every example had been confiscated.

[snip]

http://www.kenbarr.com/JPGS/henning.jpg

If these were legal to own, I'd probably own two of them ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old August 18th 03, 04:15 AM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
In article , "Fred"
wrote:

[snip]
In the discussion, they brought up counterfiet coins and the guy who
did
that counterfieting of the nickels lived in my area. It is also said
that
he dumped bags and bags of these counterfieit nickels into the well
known
Cooper River (which was right up the street)to escape getting caught
with
them. The secret service said that no one that they knew of had ever
went
in search of these bags of nickels in the river. Also, The secret
service
agents do not believe that every example had been confiscated.

[snip]

http://www.kenbarr.com/JPGS/henning.jpg

If these were legal to own, I'd probably own two of them ...

Arrest that guy and send him to Potsdam.

Old August 18th 03, 06:18 AM
Lisa Birkner

Another reason: I believe this coin can be ID'd as a 1916 without the
date!!! There is a difference in the design. I think it has something to
do with Liberty's gown. The way the folds are at the bottom near her
feet.

Jim.

Old August 18th 03, 11:24 AM
JSTONE9352

The replies were interesting. The Eagle Back Quarters of 1999 were
"most" by numbers, perhaps.

???