False Istrian overprints

Old November 2nd 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default False Istrian overprints

I have just received an Ebay lot of stamps of the
Yugoslav Occupation of Istria which on close examination
are all clearly fakes.

Not only are most postmarked almost five years before they
were issued, but the overprints themselves give grave cause for doubt.

One had a denomination which does not exist on the issued stamps,
and another had the overprint upright when all genuine examples
had it sideways! Some from the later set that were overprinted
a second time show that the two had somehow merged together!

I was quite happy to retain the stamps as they cost only a few pounds
and they are useful as a reference collection.

A few examples can be found at

http://www.italianstamps.co.uk/trieste/istr/index.html

Enjoy!

P.S. Do you think I should mark them all FALSE?

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 3rd 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Tony,

if you are 100% sure it is fake I would mark them 'false'. In
addition I would sign with your initials. I have done this with some
stamps that I know for sure are fakes. This way another collector,
maybe not as knowledgeable, would know what he has and if selling
would price or buy accordingly.

Like you I buy fakes for reference. In some instances what used to be
considered fake issues have now been verified that they were really
issued. If there is a marking I leave it.

Jerry B
Old November 3rd 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

jerry wrote:
Hi Tony,

if you are 100% sure it is fake I would mark them 'false'. In
addition I would sign with your initials. I have done this with some
stamps that I know for sure are fakes. This way another collector,
maybe not as knowledgeable, would know what he has and if selling
would price or buy accordingly.

Like you I buy fakes for reference. In some instances what used to be
considered fake issues have now been verified that they were really
issued. If there is a marking I leave it.

Thank-you. In this case there is no doubt on the matter as the original
overprints were typographed
and the fakes I have were clearly photocopied - the fine streaks at the edge
of the
letters under high magnification show this.

--
Tony Clayton

Old November 3rd 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 2, 7:10*pm, Tony Clayton wrote:
[...]

Interesting. I was waiting for the next error, where these
very capable stamp printersw overprinted the stamps as
AUSTRIA and not ISTRIA .

lol
Old November 3rd 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "Blair (TC)" wrote:

[...]

Indeed! If they had put ISTRIA instead of ISTRA that would
have been as much of a giveaway as using the wrong value!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS using VirtualAcorn-SA running on a PC
.... See that snail, That's your clock speed that is.
Old November 3rd 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MJancar

Good evening

I find this an interesting topic. I live in place, which was part of
that territory.

If you are serious to deal with the topic I suggest that you buy a
book Damir Novaković Stamps and Postal History of Trieste, Pola,
Fiume, Istria and Slovene Littoral under Yugoslav Military
Administration. 1945 - 1947. At almost 900 pages you will find the
postal history of 3 years of a relatively small area.

Greetings Mitja

On Nov 3, 12:10Â*am, Tony Clayton wrote:
I have just received an Ebay lot of stamps of the
Yugoslav Occupation of Istria which on close examination
are all clearly fakes. Â*

Not only are most postmarked almost five years before they
were issued, but the overprints themselves give grave cause for doubt.

One had a denomination which does not exist on the issued stamps,
and another had the overprint upright when all genuine examples
had it sideways! Â*Some from the later set that were overprinted
a second time show that the two had somehow merged together!

I was quite happy to retain the stamps as they cost only a few pounds
and they are useful as a reference collection. Â*

A few examples can be found at

http://www.italianstamps.co.uk/trieste/istr/index.html

Enjoy!

P.S. Do you think I should mark them all FALSE?

--
Tony Clayton Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
Coins of the UK Â* Â* Â*:http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

Old November 3rd 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message MJancar wrote:

Good evening

I find this an interesting topic. I live in place, which was part of
that territory.

If you are serious to deal with the topic I suggest that you buy a
book Damir Novakovi=C4=87 Stamps and Postal History of Trieste, Pola,
Fiume, Istria and Slovene Littoral under Yugoslav Military
Administration. 1945 - 1947. At almost 900 pages you will find the
postal history of 3 years of a relatively small area.

Greetings Mitja

Most interesting, Mitja. Do you know where this can be obtained from?

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS using VirtualAcorn-SA running on a PC
.... Since you're going to die anyway, can we use you as a shield?
Old November 3rd 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Tony Clayton wrote:

In a recent message MJancar wrote:

Good evening

I find this an interesting topic. I live in place, which was part of
that territory.

If you are serious to deal with the topic I suggest that you buy a
book Damir Novakovi=C4=87 Stamps and Postal History of Trieste, Pola,
Fiume, Istria and Slovene Littoral under Yugoslav Military
Administration. 1945 - 1947. At almost 900 pages you will find the
postal history of 3 years of a relatively small area.

Greetings Mitja

Most interesting, Mitja. Do you know where this can be obtained from?

Just spotted it on Amazon.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS using VirtualAcorn-SA running on a PC
.... Does Windows 3.1 come with a Hard Drive?
Old November 7th 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

MJancar wrote:
Good evening

I find this an interesting topic. I live in place, which was part of
that territory.

If you are serious to deal with the topic I suggest that you buy a
book Damir Novaković Stamps and Postal History of Trieste, Pola,
Fiume, Istria and Slovene Littoral under Yugoslav Military
Administration. 1945 - 1947. At almost 900 pages you will find the
postal history of 3 years of a relatively small area.

Greetings Mitja

My copy arrived on Saturday. It is an astonishing book covering the subject
in incredible detail with colour illustrations of the highest quality.

And it is in English too (Italian I might slowly cope with, but
Slovenian would have been beyond me)

Mind you, it was not at all cheap, but I guess it will not have had a large
print run.

I now just want a similar book on Trieste Zones A and B!

--
Tony Clayton

False lighting? Amistad Coins 8 May 27th 06 03:20 AM
False claims. note.boy Paper Money 0 January 11th 06 02:46 PM
Here's a Lesson in False Advertising COLUMBO Coins 5 February 7th 05 02:06 PM
False Ebay description Tony Clayton General Discussion 9 January 8th 05 06:44 AM
I think Beckett creates a false market BlackJet76 Card discussions 7 July 28th 03 03:07 AM