Stamps about AIDS

Old December 15th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Aaron Lawrence

Default Stamps about AIDS

Hi,

I'm looking to get in touch with other collectors of stamps about AIDS
and HIV. I am attempting to compile a master list of all the AIDS/HIV
stamps in existence, and would very much like to talk to anyone into
the hobby. In exchange I'll be happy to provide you with a finished
copy of the list along with other tidbits and advice along the way. I'm
also looking to start a small online community of those of us into the
hobby.

If you collect stamps about AIDS/HIV, please drop me a message at
. And I hope to God I don't get spammed out of
existence because I posted my e-mail address on a newsgroup. : )

Thanks,

--Aaron

Old December 15th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day Aaron,
the only two I have in my e-album are this one from Canada
http://cjoint.com/data/mplGUljRP5.htm

and one fro Romania (no scan available)
SG6054 (1999) T1301 2500 lei public health [] hiv aids .JPG

There is also a terribly graphic issue from a Central African Nation
IIRC, I am looking for it.

I am unaware of your terms of reference, I have somewhere a
Gay / Lesbian stamp club, that may assist in you search.

HTH

oups.com...

Old December 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

There is also a terribly graphic issue from a Central African Nation
IIRC, I am looking for it.

This is the one I searched for, (Slovenia not Central Africa)
I cannot read Slovene, so I am presuming.
http://cjoint.com/data/mplPnYxzFn.htm

HTH

Old December 15th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

FYI
The Gay / Lesbian link is here
http://glhsc.org/index.html

Good Luck.

Old December 15th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Aaron Lawrence" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm looking to get in touch with other collectors of stamps about AIDS
and HIV. I am attempting to compile a master list of all the AIDS/HIV
stamps in existence, and would very much like to talk to anyone into
the hobby. In exchange I'll be happy to provide you with a finished
copy of the list along with other tidbits and advice along the way. I'm
also looking to start a small online community of those of us into the
hobby.

If you collect stamps about AIDS/HIV, please drop me a message at
. And I hope to God I don't get spammed out of
existence because I posted my e-mail address on a newsgroup. : )

Hi,
Through a Google search it seems that the only link giving any "result" is
Blair Henshaw's Philatelic Collection
http://www.sfu.ca/mediapr/sfu_news/a...s04280505.html

However, browsing through the site I found nothing specific about philately,
but you might try and contact the Simon Fraser University (Burnaby,
Vancouver) for further info.

My country (Denmark) has issued one stamp on HIV/AIDS, Scott B81.

What concerns spamming there are several online sources for good protection,
most of them free. I use the Danish source Spamfighter, which is
downloadable in a large number of languages, English included. Other sources
might be Mailwasher, AVG etc. Google is your friend for their URLs :-)

Good luck :-)
Mette

Old December 15th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse
There is also a terribly graphic issue from a Central African Nation
IIRC, I am looking for it.

This is the one I searched for, (Slovenia not Central Africa)
I cannot read Slovene, so I am presuming.
http://cjoint.com/data/mplPnYxzFn.htm

Rod, sorry to corect you, but this stamp has nothing to do with HIV/AIDS,
but is a commemorative issued for the 50th anniversary of the Concentration
Camps. Slovenia 1995, Scott 229 (SG 258), "Skeleton of Death Lying on
Bride".
Mette

Old December 15th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Aaron Lawrence wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to get in touch with other collectors of stamps about AIDS
and HIV. I am attempting to compile a master list of all the AIDS/HIV
stamps in existence, and would very much like to talk to anyone into
the hobby. In exchange I'll be happy to provide you with a finished
copy of the list along with other tidbits and advice along the way. I'm
also looking to start a small online community of those of us into the
hobby.

If you collect stamps about AIDS/HIV, please drop me a message at
. And I hope to God I don't get spammed out of
existence because I posted my e-mail address on a newsgroup. : )

Thanks,

--Aaron

Aaron:

There is a US stamp (29c) for Aids.
http://cjoint.com/?mpnMa0NL0e
http://www.stampprof.com/sp/sp93-35.jpg

Here are two from Bangladesh and China.
http://cjoint.com/?mpnR1K3UgF
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3..._chinaafpp.jpg

http://www.cpi.com.cn/cpi-e/newissue/2003-24.asp

Jordan issued 2 stamps and a souvenir sheet.
http://arabisca.tripod.com/aids8.jpg
http://arabisca.tripod.com/aids125.jpg
http://arabisca.tripod.com/aids2a.jpg

Canada - sheet of stamps shows margin inscription.
http://worldpeace247angel.com/WORLD-...s/v-stamps.gif

United Nations
http://www.jamesmccusker.com/news/article.cfm?id=313

Zimbabwe issued 2 stamps in 2005.
http://cjoint.com/data/mpoi5piwgz.htm
http://cjoint.com/data/mpohSqCJ76.htm

The Vatican issued a stamp in sheetlet form.
http://www.vatican.va/vatican_city_s...f200404_en.htm

Germany - Souvenir sheet containing four stamps, for the promotion of
good health,
as well as AIDS awareness. Issued in 2001.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1927_32611106

Namibia set issued 2002
http://www.swakop.com/namibstamp/nam...ealthaids4.jpg

Ghana
Ghana Stamp Seal Competition for TB/HIV Health Promotion
Ghana Society for the Prevention of Tuberculosis - 19 June 2006

A joint sensitization drive among the youth in Junior, Secondary and
Tertiary
institutions on TB and HIV/AIDS for a nationwide Stamp Exhibition. It
was
organized in 2005 by a coalition comprising the Ghana Post Service; the

Ghana AIDS Commission; the Ministry of Health/Ghana Health Service;
the Ministry of Education and Sports/Ghana Education Service and the
Ghana Society for the Prevention of TB and Lung Disease. The programme
is an initiative to step up the national campaign against HIV/AIDS and
STI's
and TB among the Youth who are considered the most vulnerable in
Society.

The three winning stamps are these:
http://www.stoptb.org/news/assets/images/Stamps1.gif
http://www.stoptb.org/news/assets/images/Stamps2.gif
http://www.stoptb.org/news/assets/images/Stamps3.gif

Nepal stamp 1993
http://www.rajan.com/stamps/523.jpg

Niger
http://www.coolstamps.com/cool-stamp...8ss-di-red.jpg

Finally, here is an invaluable reference for you.

Africa:
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/collecti...haw/africa.htm
Asia:
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/collecti...nshaw/asia.htm
Europe:
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/collecti...haw/europe.htm
Middle East:
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/collecti...iddle_east.htm
North America:
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/collecti...th_america.htm
South America :
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/collecti...th_america.htm

I hope that this starts you off owards a good collection.

Blair

Old December 15th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse
However, browsing through the site I found nothing specific about

philately,
but you might try and contact the Simon Fraser University (Burnaby,
Vancouver) for further info.

One good turn, deserves another
http://tinyurl.com/yja7wv

Gosh to you :-) Didn't look well enough! The URL is bookmarked now ;-)

Old December 15th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Aaron Lawrence

One good turn, deserves another
http://tinyurl.com/yja7wv

That is indeed an excellent site. I only wish they had included all
the stamps in a series instead of just showing the first one. Still,
as you said there's a ton of info on it.

Here's another that focuses on AIDS stamps from 1988-1993.

http://www.mednet.gr/gallery/gallery.htm

------------------

As for Blair, thank you for the dozens of links to stamps. I have most
of those on my list, but a few were new to me. In particular the Ghana
ones.

Here's another that I'd love to identify more closely.

http://glhsc.org/db1/00055/glhsc.org...africaaids.jpg

I have only seen that picture of it, but haven't stumbled across it in
any of my other listings. Anyone out there have a year or a Scott
number for it? Do tell.

--------------------

I don't have links, but I thought I'd show one of my lists. For North
America & the Carribean alone, I have...

USA 1 1993 Red ribbon 2806
Canada 1 1996 Stained glass face 1603
Mexico 1 1989 Stick figures around center text
St. Kitts 4 2000 Various drawings from a contest 603-6
Antigua & Barbuda 1 2005 Red ribbon next to people in shape of red
ribbon 2785
St. Lucia 2 2004 Text next to pictures of people
Barbados 1 2002 Red ribbon surrounded by "Stay Safe / Love Life" text.
Set 1/4 on AIDS. 1039-42

Old December 15th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Gosh! Mette.
thanks for the correction.