Stamps about AIDS

Old December 15th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Aaron Lawrence

Default Stamps about AIDS

One good turn, deserves another
http://tinyurl.com/yja7wv

That is indeed an excellent site. I only wish they had included all
the stamps in a series instead of just showing the first one. Still,
as you said there's a ton of info on it.

Here's another that focuses on AIDS stamps from 1988-1993.

http://www.mednet.gr/gallery/gallery.htm

------------------

As for Blair, thank you for the dozens of links to stamps. I have most
of those on my list, but a few were new to me. In particular the Ghana
ones.

Here's another that I'd love to identify more closely.

http://glhsc.org/db1/00055/glhsc.org...africaaids.jpg

I have only seen that picture of it, but haven't stumbled across it in
any of my other listings. Anyone out there have a year or a Scott
number for it? Do tell.

--------------------

I don't have links, but I thought I'd show one of my lists. For North
America & the Carribean alone, I have...

USA 1 1993 Red ribbon - Scott 2806
Canada 1 1996 Stained glass face - Scott 1603
Mexico 1 1989 Stick figures around center text
St. Kitts 4 2000 Various drawings from a contest - Scott 603-6
Antigua & Barbuda 1 2005 Red ribbon next to people in shape of red
ribbon - Scott 2785
St. Lucia 2 2004 Text next to pictures of people
Barbados 1 2002 Red ribbon surrounded by "Stay Safe / Love Life" text.
Set 1/4 on AIDS. - Scott 1039-42
Aruba (1+) - Island with world flags, 2000
Bahamas (1+) - Islands and ribbon, year unknown
Cuba (2) - couple with ribbon, 2000, Scott 4115-6
Dominican Republic (2) - person, 2000
Barbados (1), 2002
Anguilla (4) - child drawings about AIDS, 2004, Scott 1136
Anguilla (3) - not same as 4, drawings, 2004
Jamaica (1) - ribbon and faces, 1997
Montserrat (1), ribbon, 2004, Scott 1264
Nevis (2), 2003, Scott 1828-9

Sorry it's not all formatted nicely. The nice stuff is what I have in
my collection. The crammed together part is what I am still trying to
obtain.

I have similar lists for the other continents. I'll post them if
there's any interest. Otherwise, I tweak and update the information on
the lists almost daily. People are welcome to e-mail me for my latest
copy of the Excel spreadsheet on which I keep them.

--Aaron

Old December 15th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

However, browsing through the site I found nothing specific about
philately,
but you might try and contact the Simon Fraser University (Burnaby,
Vancouver) for further info.

Old December 15th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Aaron Lawrence

Ugh - I hit "post" haflway through instead of "preview". Sorry about
that. Ignore the first of my latest two messages.

Old December 16th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Blair Henshaw was a key member of my stamp club, the British Columbia
Philatelic Society, until his death from AIDS. He died not long before
I joined the club, but several of our current members were his good
friends.

Every year at Vanpex, we present the Blair Henshaw Award. Here is the
blurb from our Vanpex 2005 program:

"The Blair Henshaw Award, established in 2004, presented for the best
Display Class exhibit, is named after Blair Henshaw, a very worthy BCPS
member. His passions in life were his stamp collecting and his quiet
activism to promote AIDS awareness. In 1992 he launched "The AIDS on
Stamp Project," a campaign to have Canada Post issue an AIDS Awareness
stamp. At this time he started a collection of international AIDS
stamps that became one of the most comprehensive in the world. Thanks
to Blair's efforts, the launch of Canada's AIDS Awareness stamp took
place in May 1996, with Blair attending the unveiling of the stamp."

Blair's AIDS on stamps collection was sold in auction by the Hudson's
Bay Co. Stamp Department in Vancouver. I have an small flier, printed
in color onlight cardstock, that was used in advertising the auction.
It features a reproduction of the Canadian stamp, and would make a
great collateral item in any AIDS collection. Aaron, if you'd like to
have this item, please send you mailing address to me at
.

Bob Ingraham

Old December 16th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Aaron Lawrence wrote:
------------------

As for Blair, thank you for the dozens of links to stamps. I have most
of those on my list, but a few were new to me. In particular the Ghana
ones.

Here's another that I'd love to identify more closely.

http://glhsc.org/db1/00055/glhsc.org...africaaids.jpg

I have only seen that picture of it, but haven't stumbled across it in
any of my other listings. Anyone out there have a year or a Scott
number for it? Do tell.

It is South Africa - Scott 1302a-j (booklet pane).
Issued 2002 Nov 29

Blair

Old December 16th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Aaron Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm looking to get in touch with other collectors of stamps about AIDS
and HIV. I am attempting to compile a master list of all the AIDS/HIV
stamps in existence, and would very much like to talk to anyone into
the hobby. In exchange I'll be happy to provide you with a finished
copy of the list along with other tidbits and advice along the way. I'm
also looking to start a small online community of those of us into the
hobby.

If you collect stamps about AIDS/HIV, please drop me a message at
. And I hope to God I don't get spammed out of
existence because I posted my e-mail address on a newsgroup. : )

Thanks,

--Aaron

I don't know if the Swiss stamp, 10/15/1994, Zumstein # 870, 60c, symbolic
representation, was somewhere mentioned or not.

I haven't it (too ugly), but I could scan the image from the catalogue, if
it could be useful.

Just to mention that I don't fully understand these permanent Anti-AIDS
campaigns in Western countries (Africa is another story, unfortunately), for
a disease that kills a relatively small number of people, especially when
compared with cancer or cardiovascular diseases, and which can be quite
easily avoided (as the explicit Swiss stamp show it...).

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization:
http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old December 16th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MJancar

Stamps is not connected to AIDS thema. It is showing horrors of Nazi
camp simbolicaly. You find more extensive text in English he
http://www.posta.si/Namizje.aspx?tab...artikelid=5782

Mitja

Rod wrote:
There is also a terribly graphic issue from a Central African Nation
IIRC, I am looking for it.

This is the one I searched for, (Slovenia not Central Africa)
I cannot read Slovene, so I am presuming.
http://cjoint.com/data/mplPnYxzFn.htm

HTH

Old December 16th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Aaron Lawrence

Found another good resource listing AIDS stamps.

http://www.stanleygibbons.com/newiss...ageid=topicals

.... then select AIDS as a topic. At present it has 79 stamps listed
and pictures for almost all of them. I didn't find any new ones from
my list on there, but I did see pictures of some of them for the first
time. I particularly like the Serbian stamp of a condom with angel
wings. Don't often see things like that in the USA!

--Aaron

Old December 16th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Aaron Lawrence" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...

Found another good resource listing AIDS stamps.

http://www.stanleygibbons.com/newiss...ageid=topicals

... then select AIDS as a topic. At present it has 79 stamps listed
and pictures for almost all of them. I didn't find any new ones from
my list on there, but I did see pictures of some of them for the first
time. I particularly like the Serbian stamp of a condom with angel
wings. Don't often see things like that in the USA!

Here's another resource listing you might find useful
http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/

Type "aids" (without quotations) into the appropriate search field, and 30+
recent issues world wide from 2003 to date will appear with zoomable images.

Mette