Storing book in safe?

Old October 29th 03, 07:15 PM
Alan Lukka

Default Storing book in safe?

Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded to store
in a small fireproof, waterproof safe. I have wrapped it in plastic and have
put a few moisture absorbers (the kind you find in bottles of vitamins) in
the safe. I live in Sacramento, California. The air is dry in my house, So
I dont think any moisture will build up in the safe. Does this sound like a
good idea?

thanks

Old October 30th 03, 01:47 AM
Eric Bustad

Alan Lukka wrote:
Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded to store
in a small fireproof, waterproof safe. I have wrapped it in plastic and have
put a few moisture absorbers (the kind you find in bottles of vitamins) in
the safe. I live in Sacramento, California. The air is dry in my house, So
I dont think any moisture will build up in the safe. Does this sound like a
good idea?

thanks

There is a not-too-old thread on this subject starting at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor...2002/0255.html

= Eric

Old October 30th 03, 06:34 AM
Count St. Germain

"Alan Lukka" wrote in message
Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded to

store
in a small fireproof, waterproof safe. I have wrapped it in plastic and

have
put a few moisture absorbers (the kind you find in bottles of vitamins) in
the safe. I live in Sacramento, California. The air is dry in my house,

So
I dont think any moisture will build up in the safe. Does this sound like

good idea?

thanks

Sounds like a good idea. What book is it, and what is your complete street
address in Sacramento?

Old October 30th 03, 05:40 PM
David Ames

"Count St. Germain" wrote in message ...
"Alan Lukka" wrote in message
Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded to

store
in a small fireproof, waterproof safe. I have wrapped it in plastic and

have
put a few moisture absorbers (the kind you find in bottles of vitamins) in
the safe. I live in Sacramento, California. The air is dry in my house,

So
I dont think any moisture will build up in the safe. Does this sound like

good idea?

thanks

Sounds like a good idea. What book is it, and what is your complete street
address in Sacramento?

Excuse me, but aren't you, as the Count St. Germain, supposed to be
among the Ascended Masters? If so, I don't think you need to ask the
question that you did.

David Ames
Old October 30th 03, 06:26 PM
Alan Lukka

"Alan Lukka" wrote in message
Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded to

store
in a small fireproof, waterproof safe. I have wrapped it in plastic and

have
put a few moisture absorbers (the kind you find in bottles of vitamins)

in
the safe. I live in Sacramento, California. The air is dry in my house,

So
I dont think any moisture will build up in the safe. Does this sound

like
good idea?

thanks

Sounds like a good idea. What book is it, and what is your complete

street
address in Sacramento?

"Clown" St. Germain.....what a tool

Old November 5th 03, 11:49 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Count St. Germain wrote:

Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded
to store in a small fireproof, waterproof safe. I have wrapped it in
plastic and have put a few moisture absorbers (the kind you find in
bottles of vitamins) in the safe. I live in Sacramento,
California. The air is dry in my house, So I dont think any
moisture will build up in the safe. Does this sound like
a good idea?

Alan Lukka replied:

Sounds like a good idea. What book is it, and what is your
complete street address in Sacramento?

This deserved a better response. It is debatable whether plastic bags are a
good idea or not. One school of thought has it that books need some exposure
to air. There's a rec.collecting books thread discussing the pros and cons
he http://tinyurl.com/tpmk, and an Exlibris thread on the same subject
he
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor...000/08/msg0034
8.html (click on the "next by thread" option to follow the replies).

As for storing it in a safe, I guess that's OK providing the safe is
cemented firmly in place, otherwise there's nothing to stop a thief removing
the whole thing and opening it at their leisure. But very few thieves steal
books or even suspect that they might be valuable.

A double bluff might work better; put a valueless book in the safe and leave
the valuable book on the shelf! A thief would assume the book in the safe
was the valuable one and leave the others.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old November 5th 03, 02:12 PM
Cathy Krusberg

John Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:
Count St. Germain wrote:

Hi, I have a rare and somewhat expensive book that I have decicded
to store in a small fireproof, waterproof safe.

As for storing it in a safe, I guess that's OK providing the safe is
cemented firmly in place, otherwise there's nothing to stop a thief removing
the whole thing and opening it at their leisure. But very few thieves steal
books or even suspect that they might be valuable.

A double bluff might work better; put a valueless book in the safe and leave
the valuable book on the shelf! A thief would assume the book in the safe
was the valuable one and leave the others.

But this would leave the truly valuable book vulnerable to
fire -- one of the points of keeping it in a fireproof safe.
I have a number of documents and valuables in a
fireproof safe that weighs about 200 pounds -- not
impossible to steal, but a lot of trouble for someone
who'd probably rather not linger. And I'm planning to replace
it with a lockable fireproof filing cabinet that will weigh
about twice as much -- and look even less worth stealing.

A note about documents stored in safes: They do need
airing now and then or they get a closed-in smell.

Cathy Krusberg
Internet:

Old November 5th 03, 08:59 PM

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:49:04 +0900, in rec.collecting.books, "John
Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote:

As for storing it in a safe, I guess that's OK providing the safe is
cemented firmly in place, otherwise there's nothing to stop a thief removing
the whole thing and opening it at their leisure. But very few thieves steal
books or even suspect that they might be valuable.

A double bluff might work better; put a valueless book in the safe and leave
the valuable book on the shelf! A thief would assume the book in the safe
was the valuable one and leave the others.

I could be wrong, but I think the original poster was more concerned about
fire and water damage than theft.

FA: 2-Days, WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 6th 04 02:18 AM
FA: WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 1st 04 12:45 AM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 02:04 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM