Discounted Stamps~was discounts on Civil War Revenues

Old August 25th 05, 01:50 AM
Rodney

Default Discounted Stamps~was discounts on Civil War Revenues

Many Brazilian definitives issued between 1942 and 1947 have three
close-spaced vertical green lines on the back. These were applied to
stamps supplied to non-governmental postal agencies at a discount of
5%, thus preventing their being cashed in at face value. Persia faced a
similar problem in 1911 and came up with the same answer. As an
experiment, stamps were supplied to posting stages between Resht
and Teheran at a discount of 10%, in lieu of payment to heads of
stages, and these stamps were overprinted "Relais" and its Persian
equivalent.
Similarly, Turkey between 1905 and 1914 overprinted many of her
stamps with the Arabic symbol for "B," standing for "Behie" or
discount. These were supplied to business firms at a discount of 20%
for use on foreign correspondence in order to win back custom from
the many foreign postal agencies established in Turkey. Finally, we
must not forget our own stamps bearing perfins. This practice was
permitted by the G.P.O. because, in the last century, it was possible
to cash small quantities of unused stamps at face value and business
firms wanted to prevent their staff engaging in fiddles.

Old August 25th 05, 08:56 AM
Douglas Myall

"Rodney" wrote in message

[...]

Nor should we forget the Machin stamps with stars and the letter D (at
different times) printed in blue edible ink (yes!) over the gum to
indicate stamps sold at a discount from face value.

Douglas

Old August 25th 05, 10:58 AM
Rodney

| Nor should we forget the Machin stamps with stars and the letter D (at
| different times) printed in blue edible ink (yes!) over the gum to
| indicate stamps sold at a discount from face value.
| Douglas

Thanks Douglas,
deposited in the repository of knowledge.
What can be more pleasant than stamping, a cup of Lipton's
whilst watching the Aussies and the Poms have
a go at each other at Trent Bridge?

How do we know it was edible? are you hiding
some tasty juicy facts?

Old August 25th 05, 12:44 PM
Ryan Davenport

Douglas Myall wrote:
"Rodney" wrote in message

Nor should we forget the Machin stamps with stars and the letter D (at
different times) printed in blue edible ink (yes!) over the gum to
indicate stamps sold at a discount from face value.

How about those odd Hungarian stamps from the '20s with the little
triangle of holes punched in them ... they were discounted stamps,
except they weren't. They were available for face value - unpunched
stamps cost extra. I guess it was a 10% service charge for not
deliberately damaging your stamps.

Ryan
Old August 25th 05, 12:55 PM
Blair (TC)

A copy of such a stamp with the perfined triangle can be seen at:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Langenbe...erfin-mp10.jpg

Blair

Old August 25th 05, 03:18 PM
Rodney

The purpose of this was to prevent speculation in Hungarian stamps
by so treating the centre tow rows of every sheet.
This it was assumed, would make them unattractive to speculators
laying up complete sheets would be left with unsaleable stamps on
their hands.
In considering this, the ingenuity has not been applied to the interest
of the post office, but the collector.......interesting.
Alan Sterckx......."Stamp Collecting"

I have growing collection of these, (only definitives were punched)
and have a list of issues punched as supplied by Mr. Jay Carrigan
some time ago if you need them.