1984-D penny

Old March 9th 05, 12:07 AM
Anita

Default 1984-D penny

My husband just gave me a 1984-D penny to look over. I know nothing
about pennies, but when I compared it to several other pennies I have,
some differences jumped out. The columns and lettering are very thin.
There is a separation between the A and M, but it may be because the
lettering is fine. I put the penny on abpn for anyone who is
interested. The 1984-D penny is the picture on top. A later date D
penny is included at the bottom for comparison.

Is this a common thing?

Anita
Old March 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Bob Hairgrove

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:07:01 GMT, Anita wrote:

My husband just gave me a 1984-D penny to look over. I know nothing
about pennies, but when I compared it to several other pennies I have,
some differences jumped out. The columns and lettering are very thin.
There is a separation between the A and M, but it may be because the
lettering is fine. I put the penny on abpn for anyone who is
interested. The 1984-D penny is the picture on top. A later date D
penny is included at the bottom for comparison.

Is this a common thing?

Anita

Unfortunately, we don't get the binaries newsgroup here in Switzerland
to which you posted the pictures.

Just going by the Red Book here, since I was never lucky enough to
actually hold any of the coin varieties discussed here...

There are 1998 and later cents with the wide AM, but the Red Book says
these were all minted from proof dies which show this anomaly. All of
these are Philadelphia, apparently, although all the "real" proofs
minted during those years have an "S" mint mark.

You might want to hunt around for a 1984 proof Lincoln for comparison.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old March 9th 05, 12:28 AM
Anita

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:17:14 +0100, Bob Hairgrove
There are 1998 and later cents with the wide AM, but the Red Book says
these were all minted from proof dies which show this anomaly. All of
these are Philadelphia, apparently, although all the "real" proofs
minted during those years have an "S" mint mark.

You might want to hunt around for a 1984 proof Lincoln for comparison.

This coin is definitely the wrong year and mint for Type II. Maybe
this is a "thin column" variety, analogous to the Wisconsin quarter
"fat leaf" variety :-) I am very penny illiterate, so I don't know if
this is a common characteristic of many pennies from the D mint of the
year. The strike is very good, but the lines are very thin. I also
just noticed that the "L" of libery on the obverse is missing. It
doesn't look like wear, either. It just looks like it isn't there.

Anita

Old March 9th 05, 12:29 AM
Michael R

"Anita" wrote in message
news
My husband just gave me a 1984-D penny to look over. I know nothing
about pennies, but when I compared it to several other pennies I have,
some differences jumped out. The columns and lettering are very thin.
There is a separation between the A and M, but it may be because the
lettering is fine. I put the penny on abpn for anyone who is
interested. The 1984-D penny is the picture on top. A later date D
penny is included at the bottom for comparison.

Is this a common thing?

Anita

minor variations are sometimes made from year to year. How does it compare
to another 1984 D?

--
Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo

Old March 9th 05, 12:30 AM
Anita

Correction: the "L" of liberty is there, but it is very faint.

Anita
Old March 9th 05, 12:32 AM
Anita

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:29:21 -0600, "Michael R" mrcoinatcomcastdotnet
minor variations are sometimes made from year to year. How does it compare
to another 1984 D?

I don't have one around, so I can't tell. The closest coin I had in
appearance was the 1997-D. No telling when I'll be getting another
1984-D penny.

Anita

Old March 9th 05, 01:20 AM
Anita

This page from the penny.org site may help answer my question about
the 1984-D penny pictured in abpn.

http://www.pennies.org/history/ten.html

So the answer appears to be: common but interesting.

Anita

Old March 9th 05, 01:45 AM
Alan Williams

Anita wrote:

This page from the penny.org site may help answer my question about
the 1984-D penny pictured in abpn.

http://www.pennies.org/history/ten.html

So the answer appears to be: common but interesting.

Anita

Yee Haw! I Am a Wealthy Man! ;-)

Actually, now that I've had a chance to go through about half of the Joy
Fogel cents, I'm ready to say that there is no such thing as a bad penny
roll. ;-) 2 1960 BU's, a 1968-S, and more BU 1981-1984 cents than I've
seen in a long time! I only keep the very best and throw the rest of
those applicants back into commerce.

Alan
'nasty headmaster of the numismatic orphanage'