How do I approach my currency revamp issues?

Old March 25th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

Default How do I approach my currency revamp issues?

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:39:14 +0100, lid (Christian
Feldhaus) wrote:

Now when I am in the US, there are many more places where I *could* do
that - except that, to make the credit card payment, you often have to
enter a ZIP code. Those machines cannot recognize my German ZIP code
and/or are unable to process non-US cards. So I would have to go inside,
leave my card there (!), get gas, and then walk back in. Frankly, in
such cases I feel much safer using cash.

The problem of requiring a Zip code, and the problem of completing
online transactions where a state is required in the drop-downs,
baffle me. American computer programmers can seemingly do everything
with code including making the machine play six bars of "Die
Fledermaus" at the end of the entry, but they can't design a program
that recognizes that not all countries worldwide have Zip codes and
states.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 25th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
. ..
Padraic Brown wrote:

The fact that cards are *accepted* in most places doesn't really mean
much. They're much less convenient to use than money, transactions tend
be slower. Ubiquity doesn't make for need to use, in my opinion.

While this may primarily be an internal US discussion, let me just add a
few comments here. Whether cash or plastic is faster depends a lot on
the circumstances. In Germany, for example, most people use EC/Maestro
(bank account based debit cards) for "plastic" payments, and processing
those can sometimes be pretty darn slow. Especially when, instead of
entering a PIN code, you have to wait for the cashier to print out two
copies of the bill, one of which you sign and return etc.

In such cases, cash is almost always faster. In fact, the Aldi stores
used to accept cash only until a few years ago, and the cashiers were,
by and large, extremely fast. They still are except that they now
accept plastic as well.

But if the total is simply displayed, and you enter a code to verify the
payment, that takes less time than cash. (At least that has been my
experience.) May depend on the total amount whether a signature is
required or not ...

Ironic that you see no need for plastic yet always use it at the gas
station.

Ironic, maybe. It's the *one* place where plastic transactions are
actually faster than cash transactions. And that's only because of the
need for so much going in and out of the shop for cash transactions.
If they still had full service stations, I wouldn't use plastic to buy
gas either, unless I had one of those 5% off cards!

Paying right at the pump is convenient indeed. Unfortunately it hardly
ever works for me. Most gas stations in Germany want their customers
to come in (and buy other stuff), so there are only few places where you
pay without going inside. In Belgium and the Netherlands that is a
little easier.

Now when I am in the US, there are many more places where I *could* do
that - except that, to make the credit card payment, you often have to
enter a ZIP code. Those machines cannot recognize my German ZIP code
and/or are unable to process non-US cards. So I would have to go inside,
leave my card there (!), get gas, and then walk back in. Frankly, in
such cases I feel much safer using cash.

Hmmm. I haven't run into any US stations yet that require ZIP codes for
card users. Maybe it's just a regional "marketing survey" thing which I do
encounter with some merchants.

As for time savings, the only delays I usually encounter involve lines at
the checkout counter. Once I get to the register, any time I might save by
using cash is dwarfed by the time already spent waiting in line. It seems
that for every few dawdling card transactions there's a cash transaction
where the clerk has to go to the next register for some 5's or a roll of
dimes. No big issue to me, timewise, but I can see it is an irritation to
some others.

What does frustrate me is picking up a bottle of aspirin at the drug store
and getting behind a lady with a cart full of non-drug store items-- only
one register open. Every other item in the cart is on sale, according to
the advertisement she shares with the clerk. Some items aren't priced so
the clerk has to call for help. Then there are her coupons, some of which
seem to have expired. A couple are "2 for 1" deals so the lady has to
decide whether to go back for a second one. I've been there several times
and probably have spent over 5 minutes shifting from foot to foot staring at
different areas of the ceiling. I can always absorb that 5 minutes, but the
memory of the experience can last for years.

Bruce

Old March 25th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Christian Feldhaus

Bruce Remick wrote:

Hmmm. I haven't run into any US stations yet that require ZIP codes for
card users. Maybe it's just a regional "marketing survey" thing which I do
encounter with some merchants.

Could be regional. As a tourist in New York City for example I would not
rent a car but in Southern California I do. And there (L.A. County
for example) that seems to be fairly common. I have always thought it is
some fraud prevention measure, but I may be wrong.

As in restaurants, I do not really like the idea of people walking away
with my credit card. Same thing when I leave the card with a gas
station's cashier and then walk out to get gas. Most of these people
will be perfectly honest, I know. But then, the same applies to
customers who pay at the pump. And yet ...

Christian
Old March 25th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks[_2_]

Christian Feldhaus wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:

Hmmm. I haven't run into any US stations yet that require ZIP codes
for card users. Maybe it's just a regional "marketing survey" thing
which I do encounter with some merchants.

Could be regional. As a tourist in New York City for example I would
not rent a car but in Southern California I do. And there (L.A.
County for example) that seems to be fairly common. I have always
thought it is some fraud prevention measure, but I may be wrong.

As in restaurants, I do not really like the idea of people walking
away with my credit card. Same thing when I leave the card with a gas
station's cashier and then walk out to get gas. Most of these people
will be perfectly honest, I know. But then, the same applies to
customers who pay at the pump. And yet ...

Christian

Apparently, Christian, entering zip codes when you use your plastic at the pump is
common throughout California. I live on the Central Coast, about 180 miles north of
LA, and it is common here too. Also, I just spent a week in San Diego and it was
required there as well. Like you, I just assumed it was some kind of fraud prevention
measure......possibly verifying that the person using the card knows the zip code of
the billing address for the card.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old March 25th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

Padraic Brown wrote:

[...]

It could be, because it's *extremely* annoying. Shell is one around
here that does that. If you don't enter a US zip code, the machine
stupidly tells you to go inside to see the cashier.

As for time savings, the only delays I usually encounter involve lines at
the checkout counter. Once I get to the register, any time I might save by
using cash is dwarfed by the time already spent waiting in line.

That's cos everyone *else* has slowed the line down by using a credit
card!

It seems
that for every few dawdling card transactions there's a cash transaction
where the clerk has to go to the next register for some 5's or a roll of
dimes. No big issue to me, timewise, but I can see it is an irritation to
some others.

In fairness, they don't often have to go to the next register for
change; but every card transaction is slow.

What does frustrate me is picking up a bottle of aspirin at the drug store
and getting behind a lady with a cart full of non-drug store items-- only
one register open. Every other item in the cart is on sale, according to
the advertisement she shares with the clerk. Some items aren't priced so
the clerk has to call for help. Then there are her coupons, some of which
seem to have expired. A couple are "2 for 1" deals so the lady has to
decide whether to go back for a second one. I've been there several times
and probably have spent over 5 minutes shifting from foot to foot staring at
different areas of the ceiling. I can always absorb that 5 minutes, but the
memory of the experience can last for years.

Poor store management. Cashiers should alert their manager if a
customer is waiting behind such a long order. The manager can open a
till for the few minutes it will take to clear the large order.

Padraic

Bruce

Old March 25th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:16:16 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:49:55 -0400, Padraic Brown
wrote:

Up until my epiphany last month, I always paid cash for gas and
used my card only for online purchases and on occasional overseas trips,
zeroing it out with each monthly bill.

Anyone who uses plastic, no matter how much, would do well to pay it
off each month!

We even still pay our bills by mail
with a check, just like we did 50 years ago.

I do too. Those that can't be paid in person, anyway. Electronic
payment, for all the advertising hype, is just too much of a hassle.

Hassle? I wrote two checks in 2007. One to the IRS and one to a
person I bought something from on eBay. All bills are paid with
online keystrokes.

Yeah. *That* is what the hassle entails. It's a waste of effort, in my
opinion. If it works for you, great. As far as I'm concerned, no
thanks! It takes only a couple minutes to write a few checks and get
them ready for the post. No manking about on their websites or an
internet banking site.

Padraic

Old March 25th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks[_2_]

Padraic Brown wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:19:46 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

Most people don't really need to use a card, except maybe for
ordering stuff online or over the phone. But every year there are
more and more things that can be paid for with plastic or
electronically that before long one could go for quite a while
before encountering a situation where a card won't be accepted.

Doesn't really matter to me. The fact that cards are *accepted* in
most places doesn't really mean much. They're much less convenient to
use than money, transactions tend to be slower. Ubiquity doesn't make
for need to use, in my opinion.

Ironic that you see no need for plastic yet always use it at the gas
station.

Ironic, maybe. It's the *one* place where plastic transactions are
actually faster than cash transactions. And that's only because of the
need for so much going in and out of the shop for cash transactions.
If they still had full service stations, I wouldn't use plastic to buy
gas either, unless I had one of those 5% off cards!

In California we have a convenience store chain called AM-PM which sells gas. They do
not accept credit cards, only cash and debit cards, both of which can be used on the
pump island. The only reason to enter the store would be if you needed change from a
cash transaction. I do not use a debit card, so when I get gas at one of those
stations I just stick a double sawbuck or two in the machine and pump until it stops
pumping. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old March 25th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

wrote:

Hmmm. I haven't run into any US stations yet that require ZIP codes for
card users. Maybe it's just a regional "marketing survey" thing which I do
encounter with some merchants.

Most of the stations here with newer pumps do this. The intent is to
foil the user of the lost or stolen card. This extra step requires
that the user know the billing address of the cardholder. Not a
foolproof way of verifying that the user owns the card, but a layer of
protection.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 25th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
d...
Padraic Brown wrote:

[...]

I buy Shell gas with their credit card on the east coast and don't have to
enter a ZIP code. When I've been with people who use their credit card at
other local stations, they haven't either. But when I've asked a couple
times at certain retail stores why they want my ZIP code, cash or credit,
they said it was to determine the location of their customer base. Maybe
it's a means for determining where to locate additional stores in a
franchise.

The other advantage I've found to paying for gas with a card is when I want
to totally fill up at station that has a "pay first" policy, I have to guess
how much to pay, go inside in line, come back out and pump the gas, and
usually go back inside in line to get the change from my over-estimate. I'm
sold now on plastic for gas.

Old March 25th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:58:47 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I buy Shell gas with their credit card on the east coast and don't have to
enter a ZIP code. When I've been with people who use their credit card at
other local stations, they haven't either. But when I've asked a couple
times at certain retail stores why they want my ZIP code, cash or credit,
they said it was to determine the location of their customer base. Maybe
it's a means for determining where to locate additional stores in a
franchise.

Perhaps you have a better class of attendants that we do down here.
The ones in the stores here would hardly know why things are done the
way they are done. If it wasn't for cash registers that display the
amount of change required to give a customer, they wouldn't know how
much change to give for a dollar presented for a 90 cent purchase.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida