Modern Library: new collector

Old March 8th 04, 03:36 PM
BookEditions

Default Modern Library: new collector

I have decided to forget spending big bucks to collect many of the classics in
literature in favor of obtaining the lesser expensive volumes put out by the
Modern Library (books published 1917-1970). Since I want these books for
reading rather than investment, such a move makes sense.
Questions:
1. I have found a few sites devoted to Modern Library editions (background,
blibliographies, etc.) but would like your suggestions in case I missed some.
2. Is there a newsgroup devoted to collectors of Modern Library editions?
3. If not, would anyone be interested in an "e-mail" group on this subject? If
so, please send me a private e-mail and I'll set one up.
4. Finally, I've looked for George Andes' book on the Modern Library
descriptive bibliography and it is quite expensive. Anyone know of a cheaper
alternative?
Thanks,
Les
Old March 8th 04, 10:35 PM
Bob Riedel

Les writes:

2. Is there a newsgroup devoted to collectors of Modern Library editions?

There's an excellent and quite active listserv in existence, with participation
from longtime ML collectors. Instructions for subscribing can be found at:
http://www.dogeared.com/General/listServ.html
snip
4. Finally, I've looked for George Andes' book on the Modern Library
descriptive bibliography and it is quite expensive. Anyone know of a cheaper
alternative?

For identifying ML firsts (among many other things), Henry Toledano's The
Modern Library Price Guide: 1917-2000 is very useful. Contact Books, Etc. in
San Francisco at 415-831-5460, or email , or Henry at
.

Bob Riedel
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat

Old March 10th 04, 09:50 PM
palmer.william

"Bob Riedel" wrote in message

One of the things that is so appealing about
Modern Libraries (of the vintage the first poster
referred to) is the dust jacket art. Obviously,
the art director(s) and d.j. designers for the
ML'S of that period were some of the best in the
business. Happily for the collector, many used
bookstores have ML's with dust jackets at very
reasonable prices, so it is possible to begin
building a collection without any great expense.
I have a hard time working up much enthusiasm
for ML's with no dust jacket though, and--at
least in the bookstores I visit--you can
find about ten ML's (from the 1940's to 1970)
without dust jackets for every one with a d.j.
Even without a dust jacket, a ML can be a
highly prized book, of course, if you
enjoy the content, but not necessarily
any more prized so than a Harpers Modern
Classic or a Dutton. It is the superb
dust jacket design that makes the ML'S
really special.

Mr. Palmer
Room 314

Les writes:

[...]

[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Modern Library Editions mlbookie Books 2 November 25th 03 01:23 AM
FS: NHL "Hockey Legends" Collector Plates J.R. Sinclair General 0 November 7th 03 06:15 AM
FS: Major League Baseball "Player" Collector Plates J.R. Sinclair General 0 November 4th 03 06:32 AM
Modern Library ListrServ surpasses 100 members Scot Kamins Books 0 October 23rd 03 06:57 AM