Modern Library Giants

Old May 31st 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Modern Library Giants

Scott, I have two ML Giants right now, both anthologies. One is the
ML edition of Healy & McComas' _Adventures in Time and Space_ (which
they mysteriously retitled _Famous Science Fiction Stories_), and Wise
& Fraser's _Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural_. How can I
tell if either are the first ML printing?
Old May 31st 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

In article ,
Bud Webster wrote:

Scott, I have two ML Giants right now, both anthologies. One is the
ML edition of Healy & McComas' _Adventures in Time and Space_ (which
they mysteriously retitled _Famous Science Fiction Stories_), and Wise
& Fraser's _Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural_. How can I
tell if either are the first ML printing?

Hey Bud,

Nice to see your phosphors on my screen.

Most (but certainly not all) ML firsts identify themselves with a slug
on the copyright page. And the inverse of the the DJs often give hints
allowing you to match the DJ with the book. Luckily, the two giants you
mention are easy to identify.

Time & Space: Copyright page says "First Modern Library Giant Edition."
Top of inverse of DJ says "Which of these 379 outstanding books do you
want to read?" (The key is the number 379; the wording may be
different.)

Great Tales of Terror: Copyright page also says "First Modern Library
Giant Edition." Top of inverse of DJ says "Which of these 329
outstanding books do you want to read?" (Again, the key is the number
329.)
Old May 31st 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Wed, 31 May 2006 07:57:22 -0700, Scot Kamins
wrote:

Nice to see your phosphors on my screen.

Likewise.

Most (but certainly not all) ML firsts identify themselves with a slug
on the copyright page. And the inverse of the the DJs often give hints
allowing you to match the DJ with the book. Luckily, the two giants you
mention are easy to identify.

Time & Space: Copyright page says "First Modern Library Giant Edition."
Top of inverse of DJ says "Which of these 379 outstanding books do you
want to read?" (The key is the number 379; the wording may be
different.)

Nope, no slug and no number, just "Here is a complete list..."

Great Tales of Terror: Copyright page also says "First Modern Library
Giant Edition." Top of inverse of DJ says "Which of these 329
outstanding books do you want to read?" (Again, the key is the number
329.)

Nope again: "Which of these 377..."

Well, in any case, the copies I have are solid, tight, and have really
nice jackets. I have firsts of both, but I was hoping these would be
"first thus."

Thanks, Scott.

New York Giants cards for sale Eric Swartz Football (US) 0 October 31st 05 04:24 PM
Modern Library Opinion krik999 Books 22 August 17th 05 12:31 AM
Modern Library Collectors' SIte (Dogeared) Back Up Scot Kamins Books 1 October 30th 04 04:18 AM
rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM